what do you guys think about

BSS

Contributors
4wc's mounted on too short of a truck, so having to overhang the back bumper by a foot or more and the tailgate down?

Nails on the chalkboard for me. eek.

I've had my fully loaded Grandby on my SWB Dodge 2500 for over two years with no problem.
Where's the problem if the truck has good suspension??

OH, now I see, you have a Tacoma. No problem with a real truck... ;)

I have an ATC Cougar ordered for a Ram 2500 short bed. The tail gate will be on for looks. Since over 75% of the camper is in the truck box the extra hanging out just isn't an issue. It really doesn't change the escape angle and you get a substantially larger camper. But I do believe too each his own.

Can you weigh it front and rear wheels separately before and after?It would be interesting to see what impact it has on front/rear weight loading. Even with upgraded suspension that won't change front/rear loading and I would imagine handling could be effected.

I like the look better when the camper fits properly too.

EX: 6.6' Hawk Model on a 6.6' Short Bed Truck.

Flush fit, no tail gate, no over hang.

But some customers want the extra room of the longer camper on a short bed truck.

When looking for a used camper, sometimes you gotta take what you can find and make it work.

Other times, a customer has a short bed truck and is thinking of getting a long bed truck in a year or two. They will order the longer camper and put it on the short bed truck until they get a newer long bed truck.

I had a Grandby 8' camper on a long bed Ford F-150, sold the truck, and found a good deal on a short bed truck. I didn't want to sell the camper too, so for a year or two we just left the tail gate down when taking the camper out.

I was running E rated tires and a stiff set of over load spings on the "new to me" short bed Ford F-150. It drove well. Comfortable. I would have been confortable going most anywhere with that set up.

The only thing I didn't like was the brakes. The older Ford F-150 didn't have the best brakes when you were carrying alot of weight like that (camper, gear, 2 adults, 2 kids). I just took it easy. Tried to enjoy the adventures & not win the race.

:)

Attachments

• road.jpg.jpg
    road.jpg.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 143
  • Dsc00268.jpg
    Dsc00268.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Dsc00314.jpg
    Dsc00314.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Dsc00318.jpg
    Dsc00318.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Dsc00333.jpg
    Dsc00333.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 148
I've had my fully loaded Grandby on my SWB Dodge 2500 for over two years with no problem.
Where's the problem if the truck has good suspension??

OH, now I see, you have a Tacoma. No problem with a real truck... ;)

Cort puts about 3,000 pounds of beer..... err gear on his Taco and seems to do alright ;)

I can see everyone in classroom shuttering from the scratching on the chalkboard ...

(see attached pictures)

:)

laughs

Attachments

• fingernails-on-chalkboard copy.jpg
    fingernails-on-chalkboard copy.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Grandby on SB Nissan Titan #2.JPG
    Grandby on SB Nissan Titan #2.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 3n33k83l65V25O55S0a7p3fa7acf6c201100b.jpg
    3n33k83l65V25O55S0a7p3fa7acf6c201100b.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 10\' camper on short bed truck.jpg
    10\' camper on short bed truck.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 267
  • P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 181
I only have to get it there....you all lighten the load and somehow SimiMike takes care of all the recyclables. Plus I have been driving without brakes for years so its no problem with that new Deaver Suspension.

:D

Back
Top Bottom