What do you use for steps?

setter_guy

I have a Hawk in the back of a '05 Dodge CTD 2500. Great combo but the door is almost waist level. I took a stinger hitch and welded a step onto it which I put in after I drop the trailer but its still a little precarious for the wife (and me after a couple cervezas). I was wondering what other folks do about this problem. Not the beer, the steps.

Gracias

I use this:
37595n.jpg

Such as for sale here:
Camping world

Folds flat and it's lightweight. I've used it for several seasons, and I'm not lightweight nor gentle on equipment, and yet it's holding up.

You might also like the scissor type step like DD has on his new camper:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5130/page__st__20
They fold to a compact size, detach and attach easily, and offer a pretty stable set of stairs. I use steps like Mark shows above when alone, but the scissor steps are easier on the wife. They also seem easier for the dog to negotiate.

You might also like the scissor type step like DD has on his new camper:
http://www.wanderthe...30/page__st__20
They fold to a compact size, detach and attach easily, and offer a pretty stable set of stairs. I use steps like Mark shows above when alone, but the scissor steps are easier on the wife. They also seem easier for the dog to negotiate.

Scissor steps are most definitely easier for my dog to use. They also seem to be more stable on uneven ground, since they are anchored by the truck. The downside is the cost, of course.

I use this:
37595n.jpg

Such as for sale here:
Camping world

Folds flat and it's lightweight. I've used it for several seasons, and I'm not lightweight nor gentle on equipment, and yet it's holding up.

I use these as well, still solid after 4 years of abuse.

I use something similar to the 2 step that Pods has plus I add this for the dogs.
913289091_EP8JW-M.jpg

I now have 3 receiver tubes on the back so I can place it in either but usually on the drivers side tube. Great for the dogs and a nice big platform for human klutzes as well. It was a cheap Harbor Freight receiver step taht I added a large piece of wood to and then covered it was some rubber mat.

You can take out the wobble that some sliders have by drilling and taping the side of the receiver. Take a short bolt and grind the tip of it flat to slightly convex and then thread it into the threaded hole. Put the step in place and then just tighten the bolt to snug, not tight (don't want to collapse the slider tubing). I'd suggest at least a 3/8" bolt (or 10mm if you're so bent) but you shouldn't need anything bigger than a 1/2" (12mm) bolt. Coarse thread will deal with dirt better than fine thread.

I have a bi-level receiver step. Nice but its bulky and I usually leave it at home. Normally I just step on the ball. Not very safe but its convenient.

I tried the folding step that Mark uses, and found it fine to use getting in the camper but it aggravated my lower back when I exited out of the camper. I went with a scissor style step and have not had a problem since. Was only telling my wife a couple of weeks ago, it was the best buy I have made for the camper since it has been installed on the truck. They are expensive, but worth every cent on a bad back.

I use a combination of a step similar to what Mark posted up and my custom step plates I have on the truck. Very happy with how they are working out.

PICT6197.jpg

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4824/page__p__52964&#entry52964

This link shows the aluminum step that we use, it fits into the receiver hitch and the main difference from some of the very nice looking steps shown above are the two side supports that sit on the hitch mount that makes it very stable. It sounds like you need two, perhaps a custom hitch step and a collapsing stool? Let us know what you go with.

This is what I currently use:
2-StepStoolPlatinum_l.jpg

I find that this step stool,also works for us well.It just fits under the door,well it did when I had the Ranger truck.Now with the Tundra there is about a 6" higher step,works great.I think I got mine at OSH may be $15.It folds up nicely.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom