What do you use to level your truck camper

full

Take a look at the combo leveling system we used for 11 days in Escalante, UT. We were staying at a friend's place in the rocks. It was a bit sketchy but the plastic levelers worked well, as long as the rocks under them were fairly flat.
I can't say much for the rocks we used as we kept having to find new ones as that sandstone would crack apart after a few times leaving and coming back from a jaunt. But we used what we had....

I carry a a couple 2x6 and a 4x6
Then drop a couple jacks to help finish and stabilize.
but now I am wondering about how I will handle it if I take the jacks off the new FWC.

I do a lot of winter camping in ski area parking lots and often find upon departure that the leveling block is frozen to the ground. That is when scrap wood makes the best leveler....it gets left behind. :D

SKY HOOKS Work best! Great thread to all those that contributed.. Scrap wood seems to follow plastic blocks.... Easy to carry both then huh?

I'll stick with the SKY HOOKS ask about them at Auto Zone or any Auto shop...Home Depot is the cheapest. :) ;)

inciter - HA! :)

So kind of funny story I was reminded of after reading some comments a couplea pages back:

A few months ago I was on my first night on a trip the Overland Expo East in Ashland, NC. and camped in southern Illinois at Giant City State Park. (I love that place!) I drove to the back tent camping area and popped-up in the parking area.

I'd had to use my Lynx Levelers to get my truck level on the uneven ground. During the night, a very loud old man pulled his sedan up not far from my camper and proceeded to talk on the phone loudly for a couple of hours. He seemed to fall asleep in his Needless to say, I didn't sleep well. The next morning, I wanted to leave before he woke up, so I got packed up quickly and took off... forgetting my bright orange levelers. D'oh!

I realized I'd left them about 2 hours into my drive. So, I wrote them off and considered it my payment for campering for free (ha!), and hoped someone would could use them would find them.

The next day, I arrived at the Overland Expo and got camp set up with the Four Wheel Camper exhibition. Yay!
The next morning, I think I was outside having morning coffee and a man in his late 20's/30's walks up to me and asks if I'd camped at Giant City State Park in southern Illinois a couple of nights prior. Surprised, I said, "Well, yes." and looked at him quizzically.

Turned out, he had arrived just after dark. I'd heard him pull in. In the morning, he saw the levelers and took them. Since he was heading to the Overland Expo, and the person who left them was in a camper, he thought just perhaps just maybe that person in the camper might be there too.
Turned out, I was! Got my levelers back!
I bought him lunch and we chatted a bunch.

Small world and Happy day!

Scrounging some scrap lumber, I came up with these...

Each one of them is made the same....

1) Take a piece of 3/4" plywood and cut a 1' x 3' section.
2) Cut two sections of a 2" x 6" that are 3' long.
3) Cut a 45 degree angle at the end of each one.
4) Attach them to the plywood, leaving any excess space between the 2x6's.
5) Cut two more sections of 2" x 6" about 16" in length
6) Cut a 45 degree angle at the end of each one.
7) Attach them to the ends of the other two 2" x 6"s

You will have a 45 degree angle as you drive up onto the first level and also a 45 degree angle as you climb up onto the higher level. If you wish, you can make those 45 degree angle cuts less so you can drive up on them easier.

When they travel, the "nest" together (think of the yin-yang symbol) somewhere at the rear of your rig as they will be part of the first task at camp; leveling the camper prior to raising the top. They can be used on the rear axle or the front or both on the same side of the truck if needed.

We rough-level with Lynx blocks, then fine-tune with jacks. Hallmark jacks are solid enough to hold significant weight and having them down stabilizes the rig. Takes next to no time.

Use Lynx blocks to get close as they are easy and light to carry. Then finalize with phone app and air bags. The blocks have warped some when set up on rocks or roots but return to shape when on flat surface again.

I start here: P1070970r.JPG Add these: P1070971r.JPG

I'll guess at the "offset" between sides to level, then stick one
leveler few inches behind the other before backing onto them:
First step here: P1070974r.JPG Second step there:P1070973r.JPG

Yay! P1070972r.JPG P1070975r.JPGP1070984r.JPG

I always try to back onto them, that way I know which direction to drive off. Drove off the big end once, didn't hurt anything (except my ego) but made a lot of noise. The tri-levelers are kinda big, I store them behind my seat since they are the last thing to get loaded and first to be unloaded.

Maxtrax.....most expensive levelers out there....Ha. I do carry those yellow Lego brick looking things too, but the Maxtrax work pretty great to level in many situations. aaaaaaa.jpg

I carry a few 2x6 blocks but rarely use them. I just look for a semi level spot .

You guys got pool tables in your campers?

trikebubble said:
Maxtrax.....most expensive levelers out there....Ha. I do carry those yellow Lego brick looking things too, but the Maxtrax work pretty great to level in many situations.
attachicon.gif
aaaaaaa.jpg
Love it. We carry them anyway, why not use them. Unlikely to get stolen with 7000+ pounds on them too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom