What do you use to store your camper on?

smlobx

Lost again
We'll be picking up our new Hallmark Everest in a few weeks and we plan on storing it in our shop building when we're not using it.

I would assume that it would be best to build a platform of some sort to rest the camper on instead of just the 4 jacks so let's see what you use!
The more pictures the better!
Thanks.

Make sure the height of your platform is high enough that the corner jacks clear the ground.

platform-dolly-side.jpg

platform-dolly-end.jpg

Casters from Harbor Freight

platform-dolly-casters.jpg

I use an old pop up camper frame. I can wheel it around to the only level spot on my gravel driveway to load it on my truck.
alaskan-on-trailer.jpg

I've wondered why more people don't go the route of a small trailer. It really doesn't take up any more space when not used, and when you can buy a brand trailer from Harbor freight for $150, it seems like it wouldn't be much more expensive. For me, the ease of moving it around with my lawn tractor or by hand over bumps would be worth it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/870-lb-capacity-40-in-x-49-in-utility-trailer-62646.html

Something like this with a platform built w/ 4x4 lumber on top of the steel frame would be pretty easy, and with a coupon (20% off is always available), would be reasonable for this use. The camper would overhang the wheels slightly, and the bed would be over the tongue of the trailer. Of course, you can always modify the frame to be a bit larger if you have the skill.

Don

-

elmo_4_vt said:
I've wondered why more people don't go the route of a small trailer. It really doesn't take up any more space when not used, and when you can buy a brand trailer from Harbor freight for $150, it seems like it wouldn't be much more expensive. For me, the ease of moving it around with my lawn tractor or by hand over bumps would be worth it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/870-lb-capacity-40-in-x-49-in-utility-trailer-62646.html

Something like this with a platform built w/ 4x4 lumber on top of the steel frame would be pretty easy, and with a coupon (20% off is always available), would be reasonable for this use. The camper would overhang the wheels slightly, and the bed would be over the tongue of the trailer. Of course, you can always modify the frame to be a bit larger if you have the skill.

Don
870 lb capacity? My small Fleet camper weighs 1320 dry. Sure, you are not driving down the highway with it on your trailer, but I wouldn't be comfortable doing that. And I use the area under the overhang to park my bicycle (and my garage is pretty short.) I also use the platform as a short work bench when the camper is on the truck :)

Bosque Bill said:
870 lb capacity? My small Fleet camper weighs 1320 dry. Sure, you are not driving down the highway with it on your trailer, but I wouldn't be comfortable doing that. And I use the area under the overhang to park my bicycle (and my garage is pretty short.) I also use the platform as a short work bench when the camper is on the truck :)
Yeah, I know it's a push, and you'd probably have to make some sort of bump stop to keep the suspension from bottoming too much, but the 4x4 wood would strengthen the frame a lot, so it's really only the axle beam and bearings that would be questionable. I would be willing to take the chance based on the low entry price, but there is a chance that the axle could bend, but it's doubtful. If you still wanted to do a trailer, they make one with a 2k lb axle for $379 before the 20% off coupon (~$300).

I use my trailers as work surfaces all the time, but I could see where the plain deck would be better for that. The trailer does fold up and out of the way though?

http://www.harborfreight.com/1720-lb-Capacity-48-in-x-96-in-Super-Duty-Folding-Trailer-62671.html

Don

-

Thanks for the comments.
Our camper will have mechanical jacks which I'm sure will take some time to raise and lower the camper so I was thinking of building a platform that was close in height to my truck bed so it's not as much of a pita to load and unload...

Does this make any sense??

Also my camper will weigh close to 1800 pounds so the HF trailer is a no go.

smlobx said:
Our camper will have mechanical jacks which I'm sure will take some time to raise and lower the camper so I was thinking of building a platform that was close in height to my truck bed so it's not as much of a pita to load and unload...

Does this make any sense??

Also my camper will weigh close to 1800 pounds so the HF trailer is a no go.
You can get an adapter for a drill motor to use instead of the crank, if your's is like mine. It doesn't take long to lower the camper to the platform using the cordless drill motor, though you do have to walk around from corner to corner many times. Still, it is only at the end and beginning of the season that needs doing. I needed a low platform to be able to roll the camper in the garage. A taller platform would need more bracing to be sturdy, but could be done.

Bosque Bill said:
You can get an adapter for a drill motor to use instead of the crank, if your's is like mine. It doesn't take long to lower the camper to the platform using the cordless drill motor, though you do have to walk around from corner to corner many times. Still, it is only at the end and beginning of the season that needs doing. I needed a low platform to be able to roll the camper in the garage. A taller platform would need more bracing to be sturdy, but could be done.
Thanks Bill. I was wondering if I could get an adapter to fit on a cordless drill. Do you know what size it would take?

smlobx said:
Thanks Bill. I was wondering if I could get an adapter to fit on a cordless drill. Do you know what size it would take?
I got mine at time of purchase. I suggest you check with your jack manufacturer.

I bought some of those vehicle wheel dollies at Harbor Freight. My idea was to put one under each jack so I could move into corner of shop when not on truck. Since the purchase of them I read somewhere (maybe here) that dollies just on the jacks is not a good idea... any thoughts? I think they posted the jacks may not be strong enough for movement?
My plan was to move off truck to corner the remove from dollies one jack at a time... reverse to put back on truck

XJINTX said:
I bought some of those vehicle wheel dollies at Harbor Freight. My idea was to put one under each jack so I could move into corner of shop when not on truck. Since the purchase of them I read somewhere (maybe here) that dollies just on the jacks is not a good idea... any thoughts? I think they posted the jacks may not be strong enough for movement?
My plan was to move off truck to corner the remove from dollies one jack at a time... reverse to put back on truck
With the separate dollies at each jack, it would allow the jacks to flex independently as you move it. Those jacks already seem spindly as it is, and allowing them to flex would apply a lot of torque to the corners of the camper where they're mounted that it wasn't really designed to take.

(If you have the Happijac corner jacks, you can just use a 3/8 bolt (9/16" head) as an adapter, the head fits the drive socket perfectly. Just grind 3 flats on the threaded portion so it won't slip in the chuck)

XJINTX said:
Not sure what "vehicle? wheel dollies" are.

Can't you just lower the camper on the Harbor Freight dollies, move camper to corner of shop, remove jacks? (I just leave the jacks on mine.. kind of CYA in case guano happens..)

Mike

flinchlock said:
Not sure what "vehicle? wheel dollies" are.

Can't you just lower the camper on the Harbor Freight dollies, move camper to corner of shop, remove jacks? (I just leave the jacks on mine.. kind of CYA in case guano happens..)

Mike
I am such a dummy... that will work fine... see I knew you all were smarter than I ;) THANKS!!!! That said I need to put my jacks on... I am not sure they will allow to lower that low... but I hope so!

XJINTX said:
This use of wheel castors/dollies under each Jack came up a year or so back. The recommendation from FWC was to not use them because of the potential to damage the camper if one of the legs caught while moving the camper across the floor.

Regarding the cordless drill to raise and lower the camper. what brand and model is best, I would love to have one to use on lug nuts as well. Currently my 12v Milwaukee will not turn the jacks or lugs

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom