What is it?

camelracer

Contributors
I ran across this on a Tundra today. It looks like it goes up like a hard sided tent. I believe it has a heater and water.

Any ideas what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_1641.jpg
    IMG_1641.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1640.jpg
    IMG_1640.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 193
Any ideas what it is?

I have run across the website before, but I do not remember what the name was. If it is what I remember, it opens up to an A frame, making for a ''cozy'' interior.

Yep, I've seen and met him once at Albertson's on Calle Real, I sort of remember his name as... Don. He didn't have time to show me his rig, however, here's my memory of what he did say about it. It's no longer made by the company (AlpineLite or Chalet, I can't remember), however they still make the same top in a trailer unit. "A-Frame" type, not a lot of head room, except in the center, and he's single, so no one else to bump into he says. He said he added the padlocks for security. I gave him my contact card, but have yet to hear from him.

I remember checking out the "chalet" trailer types...found some comments that they will rattle themselves apart if taken off pavement a lot. I always liked the idea and never saw the truck version. It's got potential IMO.

A couple of years ago my neighbor asked me if I knew anything about Chalet trailers. I looked into them and this reminded me of what I found but I don't remember seeing a truck mount.

Question answered.

There was a couple camped with a Chalet trailer at Pike Creek on the east side of the Steens when I was there last week.

I ran across this on a Tundra today. It looks like it goes up like a hard sided tent. I believe it has a heater and water.

Any ideas what it is?

I think a better question is "What is that airplane in the background of the second picture with the big "A" on a white background against a red, vertical strip on the vertical stabilizer?"

Looks to me like one of these by livin lite or something like it:

http://www.livinlite.com/camper-overview.php

Not really. The entire top makes an A-Frame with hard sides to the A-Frame.

Aliner folding truck camper.

Happened across the owner of this A-Liner this week and I reintroduced myself and Louis had some extra time to show me his unit.

Two side pieces are spring loaded, so pretty easy to lift up each side.
The bungie cords are supposed to keep the sides from going too far, however, Louis says they are not that good in a strong crosswind.

Aliner1_zps775a0354.jpg

Align the top of each side with the other side, latch in place.

Aliner2_zpsd04006c1.jpg

Lift the back wall top section up and latch together from the inside.

Aliner5_zpsa3464ee3.jpg

Step inside and lift the front wall and latch from the inside.

Aliner3_zps4cb9d456.jpg

And, we're camping...

Aliner4_zpsc581735f.jpg

It's pretty small inside, but, it has big windows on all four sides and it's like being inside an A-Frame cabin, lots of natural light when the curtains are pulled back.

Here's some interior photos.

Aliner6_zps01bfc907.jpg

Aliner7_zps88b03480.jpg

Aliner8_zps7c977c23.jpg

And, the front wall at the peak.

Aliner9_zps451eaa1b.jpg

Interesting that it has in the left cabinet (where the sink is located) a front opening fridge that only operates on 110VAC according to Louis.

In the right side cabinet, there is a propane heater and some storage.

The center of the bed can be lifted to make a table with a seat on the left and another one on the right.

After he showed me his, I showed him mine. We had a good couple of hours just talking about our pop-up truck campers. I gave him some ideas on replacing that fridge with a 12VDC compressor unit and adding a solar panel with a charge controller, and a good battery.

We saw a similar A frame camper (but different brand) this March at Mesquite Springs campground in Death Valley. Should have taken a picture. The folding pieces were molded and not flat stock.

Cari and i had an A-Liner for a couple seasons. The "Cross Wind" issue mentioned by the truck camper a-liner owner was a bit understated. When the wind blows it is dangerous and crazy trying to get the a frame up or down. And thus why we sold ours. . . buyer beware. . . but cool idea.

TACO-Liner-www.jpg

Back
Top Bottom