What is the WTW camper type?

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
Here at Wander the West we focus on a particular kind of camper. But exactly what are the qualities that define the kind of camper we associate with here? I believe the short answer is that a WTW camper is backcountry capable; specifically it is lightweight, built tough, and it either a popup or has low enough clearance to get into the backcountry.

Of course there are going to be exceptions to these qualifications. Alaskan Campers aren't very light but they are certainly built well and can take some abuse. The big Fuso type expedition vehicles aren't low clearance, but they are so tough they just plow through anything in their way :)

So I guess the answer (in my mind) is that a WTW certified camper is built tough. Beyond that we value low clearances (pop-ups) and lightweight. Lightweight however, is relative to the kind of vehicle you are using. So I would venture to say that a WTW certified camper is simply a camper that is built tough and is of a size and weight that makes sense for the vehicle you are putting it on.

What say you fellow wanderers, is it time to start a Lance forum :D

What about Flippacs or Wildernests, not really campers but certainly fit the low pro / back country profile?

What about Flippacs or Wildernests, not really campers but certainly fit the low pro / back country profile?

From my short time here - I'd say those don't offer enough creature comforts. It appears to me that the 'we' want light weight, heavy duty with all the options.

Yeah at the most basic level I think they fit.

I would add that the WTW camper carries an ethic of stewardship and preservation with them. We are not the hold my beer while I see how big a rock I can pull my front tire onto crowd. We are more the hand me a beer while we talk about history and where we can see the biggest trees in the country crowd.

We're the kind that not just talk about camping, we actually go out and do it. No driveways queens here.

We're the kind that not just talk about camping, we actually go out and do it. No driveways queens here.

Would you say "representing a spirit of adventure or exploration" rather than "a mobile lodging unit"?

I believe the short answer is that a WTW camper is backcountry capable; specifically it is lightweight, built tough, and it either a popup or has low enough clearance to get into the backcountry.

I vote for this.

I think the WTW theme/style is defined more by the camper on the truck, than the camper in the truck.
Not that we don't have a lot in common...but our rigs have more in common.

I vote for this.

I think the WTW theme/style is defined more by the camper on the truck, than the camper in the truck.

x2

I vote for this.

x3

I think we WTW'ers want a rig that is "off road" capable (whatever each of us deems that to be) that we can camp in, not around. (You camp in a truck camper, you camp around a roof top tent.)

I think we WTW'ers want a rig that is "off road" capable (whatever each of us deems that to be) that we can camp in, not around. (You camp in a truck camper, you camp around a roof top tent.)

I think this nails it pretty well, too...at least, it's how/why I picked my camper.

Back
Top Bottom