What Is This Roof Bracket For?

Desert Rancher

Contributors
My older Grandby has these brackets/tabs on the roof trim. Looks to be an awning mount perhaps?
Thanks-

Attachments

• DSC00439 (Large).JPG
    DSC00439 (Large).JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 170
My Fleet has these also(one on each side toward the front & one each on the back end). I don't know what they are for either,maybe one of the FWC gurus will tell us?

My older Grandby has these brackets/tabs on the roof trim. Looks to be an awning mount perhaps?
Thanks-

My guess is that they're vents to allow the pressure to equalize when you lower the roof, but it is a guess.

Its a breather. It's supposed eliminate condensation.

ding ding ding

At least, according to Marty @ ATC.

Hi Rancher,

They are vents to let moisture escape from the interior of the camper. The new campers also have them but most are painted white to match the trim. Without these little vents, water from the condensation of steam from cooking and human breath at night will build up in the roof insulation and black mold will grow and infest the camper.

The vent tabs aren't very strong so I wouldn't attach anything to them.

Stew

This ?? (see picture below)

If that is what you are mentioning, it is a weep hole.

It will allow the camper roof to breath.

For how we are building the camper roofs these days, we have found it is not necessary.

We use different insulation here at FWC now in the camper roof (white styrofoam boards), instead of the spun fiber batting (fiberglass) and a good, breathable marine style headliner.

Most customers with allergies and respiratory problems were worried to have a breathable headliner inside the camper and the fiberglass insulation behind it. That fiberglass insulation was also coming to us with a strange smell in it from time to time.

For the past few years, we have not been building the FWC campers with the weep holes.

There are probably about 1000 FWC's running around out there now without the weep holes and we haven't had any problems.

Working great.

We were more worried about the weep holes letting water in (leaks), than we were with the weep holes letting condensation out.

The less holes in the camper roof, usually the better.

Trust me, if we were having black mold issue two things would have happened a long time ago.

One, we would have fixed it ASAP.

Two, you would have heard about it on this forum instantly.

One can spin it either direction (laughs).

We can make them sound like the best things since sliced bread, or we can tell you they are not necessary.

Nothing to worry about.

:)

Attachments

• DSC00439_(Large).jpg
    DSC00439_(Large).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 120
Ah, mystery solved. I thought that something mounted there. I'm in the dezert...no mold to worry about.
Thanks everyone.
I am currently moving the Grandby from a Power Wagon to an F250 diesel. Need to paint the bottom, wire up a new aux. battery and solar panel. It fits very snug....I'll get some pic's up soon.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom