What is your MPG with FWC ?

InspectorLance

Advanced Member
How is your mileage with your FWC camper ?

Im running a 1988 chevy 2500 with a 350 TBI and getting 10 mpg. I fugure this is a little low. Thinking of getting a dodge diesel. I think my old ford 7.3 diesel was getting about 17.

What #'s are you guys seeing over the road ?

Thanks
Lance

Tacoma gets 14 - 17 mpg, can get as high as 19 on the highway if I keep the speed down or am on slower secondary roads.

2007 Tundra gets about 13-14 with camper on. I get 14-16 without the camper in general driving. On a flat highway doing 68, I get 19 w/o camper but this is "theoretical" because when on a flat open highway I end up doing 80. All-in-all, I'd guess the camper "costs" about 1-3mpg.

1995 Dodge 2500 diesel 2wd low rider. I get about 17-18 cruising around and 16 off the highway and around town.

Doing 75-85mph on expressways (and maintaining that up mountain passes, etc.) I'll land in the 11.5-12.5mpg range. When I slow things down for highway driving in the 55-65mph range I'll creep up towards 14mpg, esp. if things are flat. In general though I usually figure 12mpg average to be conservative.

Its is a 5.7L Hemi, gasser.

2000 Ford F250 Superduty Supercab 4X4, 6.8L V10 Gas with a Hawk on the back: 11-12 mpg on the highway in 2-wheel drive.
In Oregon the speed limit is just 55 mph on all non-Interstate highways (and I hardly ever drive in those Interstates), so I usually don't drive faster than 65 mph. Even in "high-speed" states (i.e., every other state :rolleyes:) I still don't drive much faster than 70.

(without the camper I get more like 13 - 14 mpg).

1996 f350 crew cab 4x4 auto 7.5 gas 4.10 gears, around 10 mpg don't care if she is loaded or empty, tailwind or headwind, gets around 10mpg

I find that the mileage is very speed dependent. I'm getting about 16 mpg at 70 mph with the camper. It dropped about 2 mpg when I put the camper on.

I just did 2000 miles in 10 day through the upper midwest. My 97 7.3 2wd with grandby got between 16 -21 per gallon. That was crusing at 70 mph.

I find that the mileage is very speed dependent. I'm getting about 16 mpg at 70 mph with the camper. It dropped about 2 mpg when I put the camper on.

Very true. The new generation of Tundra (with or without camper) starts to drop mpgs over 65. Up to 65 I might get 19; hit 70 and I'm down to 16.

I just got my 4 wheel camper, a Hawk on a 2004 Silverado extended cab with short bed. I had a fiberglass topper before that didn't go above the cab. The previous owner swore he got 21 with the topper. I never got over 19, usually averaging 18.5 or so. I knew he drove more gently that I did so I didn't worry about it. When I got the 4 Wheel Camper I went north about 500 miles to Colorado east of Denver. I had the tailgate off and nothing in the back and got about 17. I was climbing mountains but that's normal around here. I got the camper and filled the tank, then headed up an extreme 4x4 road for the night. In the morning I filled the tank again and for that 120 miles took 10 gallons of gas. This was for really slow, 4low operation, picking my way up a mountain at night. On the way home I encountered much of the same amount of up and down highway that I had on my way north. When I filled the tank, I was shocked to find that my mpg was 20.63. I even tried putting more in the tank, but only got less than .1 gallon more. I couldn't believe that I was getting better mileage with the 4 wheel camper at 700 pounds and no aerodynamic attempts at all than I got with my 150 pound fiberglass topper with very good aerodynamic design.

After a few days my wife and I loaded it up for a camping trip and went to look for colored leaves. We again got more than 20 mpg. This is a lot less than my motorhome towing a samurai (1986 Vixen 21D -25mpg) but we bought the 4 wheel unit for a trip to Alaska next year and close by back road trips in NM, CO, AZ, & UT that we wouldn't want to take the Vixen on. We really like the simplicity of the 4 wheel and the roads we have taken it on so far were very spectacular. I am really also impressed with my Silverado. I owned several Ford F150 while working since they were the most dependable units and a couple Jeep Comanchees and one Dodge Dakota. All of which were fine trucks, but always stayed clear of Chevy. I got it mainly because it fit my profile better. It is great. My brother in law and a good friend of mine own Toyotas and I recently had to drive one because that was what the Toyota dealer gave me when he needed to keep my Prius for extensive work, and all I can say is that if you own a Toyota and love it, you must not have driven anything else. All of them take a real man to keep them on the road. You are a real man. I find myself weaving all over the place it I try to go above 60mph. My brother-in-law was driving behind me on interstate 75 in Georgia and had to call me to ask me to slow down so he could catch up. I thought something was wrong with his truck when we traded vehicles, but after driving others, found it was normal for Toyota.

Back to the subject, I don't know what is up with my truck, it is not normal, but I don't want to change anything. I tend to be a bit of a lead foot and always drive a little over the posted limit, which is 75 in my state on the interstates, so don't think I am babying it. I have talked with other owners and am afraid to have any work done on it. I have a laptop program that give me full access to the computer, and I will interrogate it and try to figure out why.

The only problem this truck has is that when I get gas, the engine will stumble some for about 20-30 minutes. Not bad, but annoying. I suspect water in the tank, and keep intending to put in some drygas additive but haven't gotten around to it yet.

By the way, for those who might thing the speedo is wrong, it agrees with my GPS.

I recently had my camper off for a week so I was able to get mileage figures with the truck empty. Over the week with out the camper (Hawk) the truck got an average of 16.9 with mixed freeway and city driving.

After mounting the camper again this week the truck is getting 16.0 with mixed freeway and city driving.

Being a Canadian I wouldn't confuse the discussion with mpg but I drop about 20% in mpg @ 60/65 mph with FWC in my 05 Tundra. Without the FWC I carry a 200 lb canapy and 100 lb rubber mat.

Being a Canadian I wouldn't confuse the discussion with mpg but I drop about 20% in mpg @ 60/65 mph with FWC in my 05 Tundra. Without the FWC I carry a 200 lb canapy and 100 lb rubber mat.

My Hawk was originally mounted on my 2000 Tundra. The Tundra empty got 17 mpg....with the Hawk mounted the Tundra only got 11 mpg. I get a much smaller gas mileage hit with my current truck. In all fairness though the poor Tundra had 200K on the odometer before I dumped the Hawk on it's back.

I'm on a trip right now with the camper. My truck, 2000 Dodge 2500 diesel, has a computer that calcs the mileage. Today it was showing an avg of 15.7 mpg at 63 mph avg speed. On a similar trip this summer without the camper it showed 19.7 at 68 mph.

2008 Nissan Frontier with Eagle shell. I get 18-20 mpg at 65 mph on the highway.

I average 23-25 and got 30 mpg on my best trip. 98' Ranger with 2.5L engine carrying 98' Ranger II camper shell. I cruise it around 60-65 mph. Looking to upgrade to a 4.0L Ranger to improve hill climbing.

1999 Dodge 2500 4wd Diesel.

Average of 18mpg over the last 5000mi with the camper on. That's mixed, highway/city. I get about 20mpg with it off, so not a big difference. I did switch out the mud terrains for 285 Michelin AT2's which was good for about 1mpg.

Oh gosh, so jealous. Something must be wrong with my truck. I get 12 mpg regularly, occasionally 13 if I put it in neutral and coast down the Cascades to the valley floor.

I have a 2000 Chevy K2500 4x4 6.5L Turbo Diesel, new Michelin LTX MS tires, 1991 Grandby, not too much weight in the cab or camper.

Although I get the same mileage if I'm doing in-town driving with no load, and when I used to haul my 2500lb behemoth camper, and only a .5 mpg difference if I go 70-75 vs 60 mph. I did just change the fuel filter and haven't done a mileage count since then so maybe that will help.

I have a 2002 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4. I get about 17 MPG on the highway at 70MPH(flat road, no head winds), and in town about 14 or 15 MPG. I keep the camper loaded and ready to go except for the water tank. My city mileage is the same with or without the camper, but I lost about 2 MPG on the highway due to wind load.

John

Back
Top Bottom