What Older FWC Fits Early Tundra - Eagle & Kestrel Only?

rudhawk

Advanced Member
I have a 1st generation Tundra (’00-’06) which have a tailgate jamb that restricts the opening to 58”. Am I correct in assuming the only pre-2000 FWC that will fit is an Eagle?

My 2007 Kestrel shell at the rear is 58" at the floor. And 18 1/2" from the floor to where it returns over the bed's side rails

I have never heard of any exceptions, but the Kestrel was made for the early Tundras. Other than the shorter sides, is suppose to be same as the Hawk.

Yes but those two are both post-2000. What I'm interested in is a pre-2000. For Example - Do the 1990's era Hawks have a floor narrower than 58 inches (outside measurement of course)? Maybe I should send this question to FWC.

I've got a 1984 Fleet. It fits my '01 Tundra with the tailgate down and width is not a problem. Not sure if this helps...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Wander The West mobile app

Attachments

• 1461123829812.jpg
    1461123829812.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 166
Yes, that helps - I looked at an old fleet but figured it would be too long. This gives me something to think about. If most of the weight is forward, the length isn't as important.

I have a 94 Grandby that I modified to fit my '01 reg cab long box. Just had to lose the thickness of the floor pack on both sides, so 3/4" each. Was definitely easier than I thought. I didn't have to remove the fridge or furnace on driver's side. Did have to watch out for LP plumbing on driver's rear.

Thanks cerve - I was hoping for an answer like that. At least I know it's doable w/o too much effort. The biggest hurdle will be getting one home to modify. UHaul trailer rental I suppose.

Hi, ski - yeah, I saw that & I was following it but there seemed to be a few exceptions depending upon if a person wanted to do a few mods.

I was hoping to piggyback on the 1st hand experience of our industrious members; and I have been rewarded so far.

I have a 2004 Grandby Shell that fits our 2005 Toyota Tundra. Just. We're talking 1/4" gap between camper and that damn bed protrusion. You get very good at greasing her in when it's time to load/unload.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Another option > I helped a friend Sawzall the bed opening on a long bed Toyota T100 to fit a 60" wide Grandby, then weld in some plated. It was a lot easier than cutting down the camper. I have a 1998 Grandby on my 2005 long bed Tundra.

Might be selling my 06 kestrel. What r u looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom