What paint?

Chukar Hunter

Over the winter I had a Layer of Ice build up on the top of my Hawk and when I broke it up and got it removed the paint was stuck to the ice and peeled off.
Any suggestions as to what paint I should use or anything I should do to the bare aluminium to prep it for paint?

If your camper is the "white" white (arctic white) used on the 1999 - 2011 four wheel campers, you could try paint from the hardware store.

We have used Rust-Oleum Glossy White Paint and it is just about a perfect match.

It is an oil based paint and designed for use on metal and outdoor weather.

It might not hold up forever, but it is a cheap and easy way to get it looking good again.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Rust-Oleum Glossy White.jpg
    Rust-Oleum Glossy White.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 143
If your camper is the "white" white (arctic white) used on the 1999 - 2011 four wheel campers, you could try paint from the hardware store.

We have used Rust-Oleum Glossy White Paint and it is just about a perfect match.

It is an oil based paint and designed for use on metal and outdoor weather.

It might not hold up forever, but it is a cheap and easy way to get it looking good again.

Hope this helps.

I've been going this route off of Stan's recomendation, looks good.

It's an 2007 so that should be the match, thanks for the info. Do you know if it comes in spray cans? I was really surprized what happened as I never had that much snow on it before. I hope to have some kind of shelter for it next winter but if not I will cover it with a heavy tarp and pay more attention to how much snow is on it as it did bow the top a little.

On the roof I would personally roll or brush it on.

The roof skin is textured, so it won't show the brush marks.

If you are painting a smooth white surface (something like the roof trim), they spaying the paint might look better.

But with the textured roof skin, I would think brush or rolling it would be easier, you will get a better layer of paint, and less mess.

If you spray, you might have alot of over spray dust settling on your truck or the area around your truck.

Just a thought.

Sherwin-Williams has an etching primer made specifically for applying on aluminum. It is one of the two choices used by most aluminum skinned home aircraft builders. I'd post the other if I could remember what it was....

Back
Top Bottom