What retrofit heater?

wheelin66bronco

I am thinking of upgrading my original heater to a catalytic version for both safety and efficiency.
Any suggestions of a "bolt in" replacement?
So far the Olympian Wave-6 or 8 seems to be the best.

The main issue with mine if you are wondering is that the flame will actually blow out on really windy nights like we have at high elevations in Colorado and it is plainly a PITA to light the burner at 3am at -5 or more.

How about a new furnace? Mine doesn't have a pilot. It is electronic ignition. I know a lot of people talk about catalytic heaters but they seem to have more risk of death than a regular furnace?

FYI I don't know anything about heating... Just asking.

I know a lot will dissagree but I would never use a catalitic heater. Even though they say it's "safe" you simply can't burn fuel and have no c0. I guess the question is how much c0 are you willing to sleep with? Every state/country has different regulations and ideas of what a "safe" level is. Do a search on the net and you will find studies that show catalytic heaters giving off unsafe levels of c0.

I too am no heating expert, just chiming in.

heater

I am just curious if you know what kind of heater is in the camper. I have never seen a FWC that didn't have an electronic heater installed. At least from the factory. Sounds like you might have an aftermarket install in the camper that you have.

I am just curious if you know what kind of heater is in the camper. I have never seen a FWC that didn't have an electronic heater installed. At least from the factory. Sounds like you might have an aftermarket install in the camper that you have.

Everything looks stock to me. The camper is a 70's model (no idea what year). The tag by the heater has so much mouse pee built up on it that it corroded away everything on the tag. I could take a picture of the heater if that will help.

heater

Well that early a model I would have no idea what brand is in the camper. Jeff would probably know. I will ask him when he gets in this morning.

Will let you know what he says.

heater

Just talked to Jeff and he claims that you have a gravity feed hydro flame furnace. His first question was, has it ever been cleaned. I guess that would help. Other than that, it can be upgraded to a newer type furnace with a slight modification to the floor pack and the back wall. If you live anywhere around the Denver area, Rocky Mountain RV is familiar with the older campers and may be able to help you out. They have done a lot of repairs over the years to the older FWC campers.

I have one of the catalytic buddy heaters. Advertising says its safe to use indoors. Has low oxygen sensor. But after reading all the fine print, theres no way I'd want that thing running while I slept.

Another heater question. I took a trip up to Tahoe for the New Years day celebration. Temp was in the 20's at night. I had a heck of a time getting the heater to fire up. Turn the thermostat on and you'd hear the normal firing of the electronic ignition and the fan would come on, but after a few seconds it would shut off and not try to relight. After turning the thermostat off and redoing the cycle about five times it finally stayed on and was fine the rest of the night.
Anyone else had any problems like this?

Yes, don't sleep with a catalytic heater running! They don't make much CO but they do use up the O2 and make CO2. If you use a cat heater, as I do, have plenty of ventilation and turn it off when you hit the sack.

Some propane appliances--stoves, refers--don't start or work as well at higher altitudes. But I don't know about your heater. Did your buddy work ok when you got back to lower elevations?

Stew

heater

I do not believe in using a heater that may or may not kill you. But if you use one of those cat heaters I would recommend that you install a good co detector. You can find them at most hardware stores now, or you could call Ben. Safety first is something that I learned the hard way. Also maybe you could find a good RV wrecking yard type place like Dr. Georges RV in Sacramento to locate a working unit like the one you are pulling out.

Marty

heater

Craig,

Sounds like you had some air in the lines. Normally if you just let the heater cycle it will try to light again after a few minutes and will continue 3 or 4 times. If the air is still in the lines then you have to reset the heater and go through the process again.

This can happen with a new camper or if you refill the propane tank and happen to get some air in the lines while taking it off and on.

Just talked to Jeff and he claims that you have a gravity feed hydro flame furnace. His first question was, has it ever been cleaned. I guess that would help. Other than that, it can be upgraded to a newer type furnace with a slight modification to the floor pack and the back wall. If you live anywhere around the Denver area, Rocky Mountain RV is familiar with the older campers and may be able to help you out. They have done a lot of repairs over the years to the older FWC campers.

Thanks,
I live north of Denver and will definatly check them out. I appreciate the advise!

heaters

I just installed an Atwood 8012 2 in my 4wc shell. I have my old olympian wave 6 (i think) if you are in the market. Hardly ever used. The new one is great and a fairly low amp draw of 1.8

Back
Top Bottom