What should I look at?

eyemgh

My neighbor is selling his ‘14 Tacoma Limited 4 door, 6’ bed to upgrade to Sprinter conversion. We are empty nesters and like the idea of a pop-up like a FWC. We ski and bike, and are looking for something for long weekends. Fancy isn’t a priority, but good quality is. Our must haves are two separate beds (I snore and have been banished) and ideally an outdoor shower. What should we look at? Thanks!

In addition to FWC, consider looking at Sacramento based All Terrain Campers (ATC). They build great campers, and will often do custom work to meet the needs of their customers. The ATC Bobcat is the model that will fit the truck you’re considering, I had one on a Ford Ranger, and loved it.

Give them a call, the phone will probably be answered by one of the owners (Marty and Jeff).

Wandering Sagebrush said:
In addition to FWC, consider looking at Sacramento based All Terrain Campers (ATC). They build great campers, and will often do custom work to meet the needs of their customers. The ATC Bobcat is the model that will fit the truck you’re considering, I had one on a Ford Ranger, and loved it.

Give them a call, the phone will probably be answered by one of the owners (Marty and Jeff).
Being in Southern Oregon, I’m a relatively easy drive to Sac. That would be handy!

edit: wow, looks like FWC is close too!

A few more questions...

Do most leave them on all the time? If so, are jacks necessary for any reason? If not, do they need support under?

I know you can mod a Tacoma until the cows come home, but are there any must have mods for carrying a camper?

Anything else to consider besides ATC and FWC?

Anything else to know before taking the leap?

We have owned an RV in the past BTW, but nothing remotely as agile as this would be.

Thanks!

eyemgh said:
A few more questions...

Do most leave them on all the time? If so, are jacks necessary for any reason? If not, do they need support under? Most people remove jacks to get rid of about 90 pounds, and to not damage the camper if a jack snags on something in the boonies. When off the truck, the campers should be supported from below.

I know you can mod a Tacoma until the cows come home, but are there any must have mods for carrying a camper? Airbags and good tires, possibly E rated.

Anything else to consider besides ATC and FWC? These are the most common for smaller trucks.

Anything else to know before taking the leap? Don’t over build, it limits your amount of storage. If I buy another pop up, it will be just a shell with furnace, and it will be another ATC.

We have owned an RV in the past BTW, but nothing remotely as agile as this would be.

Thanks!

You may want to lurk on this site for a while. Boatloads of great information. We ended up getting a Tundra '19 and a new FWC Hawk. Have used it in some deep back country in Death Valley and Arizona, Nevada and Oregon. You will want E rated tires and probably want to consider suspension helpers (we have firestone airbags on the back).

Regarding snoring: you will be too close, even with separate beds, in a pop up camper.

Regarding size: if it is two of you then a Fleet model will likely work. Although we went with a Hawk due to the modest size gain, and really love it. If you also want to bring a largish dog, then the Fleet or Hawk will get real crowded real quick. Consider a Grandby?

Because you will have increased backcountry capability, then consider how much carrying capacity will need to go to carrying an air compressor, tools, tire repair kits, tow rope, shovels, etc. Also we do all our cooking outside, so we have a camp table, campstove, jetboil coffee making kit etc

We leave the camper on the truck all the time.

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I think simple is good! Less stuff to maintain and break with utility that never rivals being in one’s home anyway. We owned a cabin with an outhouse and without running water. Our hope is that this will be a minified, mobile replication of that experience, essentially heated, bear resistant tent camping with a bed.

If one goes the shell/furnace route, what sleeping arrangements do you do?

As for the snoring, I was really overstating that. We sleep in the same room, but have just grown accustomed to being in a king or separate twins. It’s more about tossing and turning than snoring.

Does anyone run Wildpeaks? The year round winter tire intrigues me. We switch between a touring tire and Nokian Hakkapeliittas On our Pilot, but ran Nokian WR G4’s on a Scion we had. They were quiet enough in the summer and outperformed all season radials in the winter.

Thanks again!

We have a 2009 ATC Bobcat full camper on a 1st gen Tundra.The camper was made for the 06 Ranger we first had.
We switched to the Tundra for more power and better ride.The Ranger had the small V6 so the
power was lacking.

We looked at FWC and ATC both but went with ATC for many reasons.We have put over 50K miles on the camper.
Only mods for the trucks were the Ranger added "supersprings" and the Tundra has air bags.
I like the air bags better as you can adjust them.
Frank

Another question, is the Tacoma even the right vehicle.

I’ll never have any interest in getting way of the beaten path, say doing the Rubicon, or venturing 60 miles into Death Valley. I did however just read an article in Outside titled something like advice for buying an adventure vehicle that you’ll ignore. He laid out a lot of solid advice (upgrade tires, take a driving class, don’t lift a Subby, get a pickup), but he overtly said don’t get a Tacoma. His claim was that they were too underpowered, too expensive, have uncomfortable seats and the drum brakes were inadequate. As long as trips are on road in the winter and never crazier than relatively well maintained two track in the summer, is the Taco sufficient?

I tend to agree that the Tacoma is not the right vehicle for you (coming from a serial Tacoma owner!). Unless you really need the off road capability, or something specifically small, then there are better options for less money. The Tacomas are great, extremely reliable and capable trucks, but come at a significant premium, and will generally need a decent amount of suspension work to comfortably carry the camper.

On the other hand an F150 (or other full size) with the payload package will comfortably carry the camper in stock form, has a larger more comfortable cab, gets about the same fuel economy, will be fine for gravel roads/two tracks, and will likely cost less.

rando said:
I tend to agree that the Tacoma is not the right vehicle for you (coming from a serial Tacoma owner!). Unless you really need the off road capability, or something specifically small, then there are better options for less money. The Tacomas are great, extremely reliable and capable trucks, but come at a significant premium, and will generally need a decent amount of suspension work to comfortably carry the camper.

On the other hand an F150 (or other full size) with the payload package will comfortably carry the camper in stock form, has a larger more comfortable cab, gets about the same fuel economy, will be fine for gravel roads/two tracks, and will likely cost less.
Thanks for the honesty! Many of us, myself included, can evangelize the things we own. I’d never really considered a Tacoma, but my neighbor friend will be selling his. It’s a ‘14 and has been well cared for. It has taken a pretty significant depreciation hit already. Both of those piqued my interest.

eyemgh said:
Another question, is the Tacoma even the right vehicle.
Good question. I sold my 2005 F150 to buy a 2008 F250 for the extra payload and all the associated upgrades (eg brakes, full float axle,). Based on the scales, my Hawk weighs 1600 lbs without jacks, water, food, or any camping activity gear. So I’m looking at carrying 2000 lbs on a typical trip while being under my trucks GVWR. For me drum brakes would be a turn off unless I was shopping for a collectible or classic vehicle.

fuzzymarindave said:
Good question. I sold my 2005 F150 to buy a 2008 F250 for the extra payload and all the associated upgrades (eg brakes, full float axle,). Based on the scales, my Hawk weighs 1600 lbs without jacks, water, food, or any camping activity gear. So I’m looking at carrying 2000 lbs on a typical trip while being under my trucks GVWR. For me drum brakes would be a turn off unless I was shopping for a collectible or classic vehicle.
It is pretty easy to get out of control though. What started as "maybe we should get a rooftop tent for our pilot" only to find that its carrying capacity is pretty weak and it's pretty fragile, could quickly morph into Unimog or why bother. :LOL:

Keep asking questions at some point you'll come up with what is right for your needs.
We tent camped many years.When that started to get old ,2009 4 week trip to Alaska,
We looked at a "tent trailer Kapmaroo". Great idea for a base camp.It's just a large barn shaped tent
on a very easy to tow trailer. After 2 years of use 2 fall trips to Yellowstone/Glacier NPs,that also got old.
On the last trip to Yellowstone we saw a FWC pop up and started our research.This lead us to Wander the West
and ATC campers. The rest is history.Very happy with our choice.

We each have our own needs/preferences and what works for one may not work for you.
Frank

It sure appears like the Tacoma’s payload capacity would be stretched thin by a Fleet or a Bobcat.

This is a noob question, but do suspension mods alter that number?

eyemgh said:
It is pretty easy to get out of control though. What started as "maybe we should get a rooftop tent for our pilot" only to find that its carrying capacity is pretty weak and it's pretty fragile, could quickly morph into Unimog or why bother. :LOL:
if I did not want a 2-speed transfer case and higher ground clearance I would be seriously looking at a sprinter van myself. A van with simple modular build.

fuzzymarindave said:
if I did not want a 2-speed transfer case and higher ground clearance I would be seriously looking at a sprinter van myself. A van with simple modular build.
I want higher ground clearance and less cash outlay, both upfront and in the long run. I have a friend with a Sprinter and if he even looks at it sideways it costs him a grand. :sneaky:

The Tacoma is one of the best off road vehicles but is not designed to carry a large load.

A 1/2 or 3/4 ton is the way to go, imo and it will still need either aftermarket air bags or overload springs and E rated tires.

eyemgh said:
It sure appears like the Tacoma’s payload capacity would be stretched thin by a Fleet or a Bobcat.

This is a noob question, but do suspension mods alter that number?
GVWR does not change as air bags etc are load levelers.

I had a Hawk on a 1st gen. 06 Tundra with the 4.0 six 3.9 diff for 3 years. Basically the same motor/tranny/brake set up as the Tacos of that era. I will tell you the power was barely adequate here in Texas(mostly flat and low hills) but when in the mountains, power is lacking. Braking was ok but not good for a panic stop downhill on wet pavement. My 2 cents is to go with a full size truck and at least a small V8. My Hawk is now on a F250 and I have no regrets. Gets about 1 mpg less than the Tundra but I don't drive it as easy as I did the Tundra. One thing you'll notice if you read all the posts on this subject, is that several folks that started with small/mid size trucks have moved up to bigger full size trucks but none have gone from full size to smaller trucks.

Back
Top Bottom