What size screw?

brett13

Lovecock
What size screw should I use to bolt through the back wall. If you recall, I'm going to hang a hook/quickfist to hold my lightweight ladder to the back of the camper. What size and length bolt/screw, washer and drill bit should I use? Type of nut to make the inside look clean? Thanks.

What size screw should I use to bolt through the back wall. If you recall, I'm going to hang a hook/quickfist to hold my lightweight ladder to the back of the camper. What size and length bolt/screw, washer and drill bit should I use? Type of nut to make the inside look clean? Thanks.

I'd suggest a bolt through one of the members rather than screws. What does the mounting area of the quickfist look like (ie how thick is it and can the nut be on the outside rather than the inside?).

Its the Super Quickfist. About 1/2" thick rubber base to go through and I can use a nut on the outside as long as it is less than about 1/2" across. A small carriage bolt?

Finding the member is always difficult. The stud finder trick didn't work for me. Here are plans for the backwall of the Bobcat that Ben gave me. I was going to aim for the middle section where there seems to be the 28 x 2channel, but honestly I can't confidently read this.
BobcatBackwallPlans.jpg

Its the Super Quickfist. About 1/2" thick rubber base to go through and I can use a nut on the outside as long as it is less than about 1/2" across. A small carriage bolt?

Finding the member is always difficult. The stud finder trick didn't work for me. Here are plans for the backwall of the Bobcat that Ben gave me. I was going to aim for the middle section where there seems to be the 28 x 2channel, but honestly I can't confidently read this.
View attachment 6168
I was thinking a carriage bolt with the head on the inside so it'd be flat in there.

If I'm recalling/reading this all correctly the 28x2 member you are talking about is 28mm deep thus ~1.1", add 1/4" for the inner wall + 1/2" for the rubber pad and maybe 1/16" for the siding = just under 2" for the depth alone. If using a 1/4" bolt you should have at least one bolt width of thread engagement, thus add another 1/4" to get 2.25"min (add more if you want to double nut or are using a deeper locking nut, etc.)

The center of that member should be ~13-1/16" (maybe 13-1/8" with siding) from the left side of the camper (factor in the depth of any edge molding you might have on your camper as well)

honestly I can't confidently read this.

This morning I had a question about installing solar; Jeff knew the answer.

I am suggesting you forget our -- mostly -- non-expert advice and call ATC.

I'd say carriage bolt, in stainless, with an acorn nut on the inside for a smooth appearance.

I'd like to add, be aware there may be wires back there if you have a porch light or backup lights. I was just at the factory having a rear rack installed and they drilled a wire. Had to pull the rear window and pull back the siding to repair the short. They just used screws. I think they were 1" long might have been 3/4".

Back
Top Bottom