what to do

Budc

wanted to get some opinions on the right camper for a toyota tunda super crew with the 5' 8" bed. I have looked at the Hawk and the Finch. I would perfer not to have to much of the camper sticking out of the back of the truck. I have also looked at the Northstar mc600 and the Halmark milner, but keep coming back to FWC due to the function and look on the truck.
thanks

2008 Tundra

I have the same truck and decided to go with the Hawk. We could not be happier!

The bed super short bed was probably the worse choice I could have made buying the truck (I love the truck by the way) but it all worked out with the Hawk. I put air bags and 10 ply's on it and can barley tell the thing is back there. I leave the tailgate on and the only mod I had to do was to drill a hole in the bumper behind the license plate so the tool can get to the spare (something some wise person on this form questioned me on).

See my original post for pics below

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2228

thanks the truck and camper looks great! I was told to look at the hawk but have also been told not to leave the tailgate down but it is good to know that it works
thanks

I assume you have also looked at the ATC Panther. ATC also built what they called an Ocelot, I believe, that was a version that had very little overhang on the sides of the truck. Search the forum for a write up if this interests you.

I can echo the comments, not that it will help. Numerous members gave me the advice on thinking about a Granby instead of a Hawk. I had some specific reasons for wanting the Hawk. Now, a little bit down the road, I think they were probably right. I love my Hawk, I thank Mike internally at least once a week, but do wish I had that little bit of extra room. My arguments against the hangover were specific, but now I can see they were not that important. 20/20 hindsight. I do know this - the FWC is a seriously good camper.

INYO
I am curious why the 10 ply tires

I know on RV.something that is one of those HUGE issues. I am concerned with safety, but 10 ply tires are something much much more important when you are hauling a 5,000 lb TC versus a 1,000 lb TC.

I run 10ply tires on my Tundra after getting two flats on the Magruder Corridor last summer. The rocks were the problem and punctured through the bottom of the tires which only had about 20k miles on them. That was not a fun experience, now I love the added protection. The stability and ride are greatly improved with the 10ply compared to the OEM tires IMO.

I put 10ply E-rated tires on my Tundra and don't notice the ride being rougher, but the handling is sure better.

INYO

I had some pretty crappy p rated Michelin's on the truck when I got the camper. They were the stock tire and kind of spooked me off road (really squirley). I've always run BFG AT's on my trucks (and have them on my Tacoma now) but, this being the wife's daily driver, decided to try the Michelin LTX 2's on the Tundra. I went with 285/70 18's and they only came in 10 ply. Have to say though that I really like them. I just adjust the pressure depending on the load. They are for sure overkill.....but they sure feel safe.

Two primary failures that leave people stranded on the road, tires and cooling systems, and tire failure can have disasterous results. With F250/7.3 the P.O. had put C loads on, got rid of them for E's but they were crappy Big O tires put on under duress and now I just ordered a set of 285 Firestone Destination AT's, E rated. I can worry about many things but tires won't be one of them:D

Back
Top Bottom