What to put a new Hawk on ...

Durango1

Hey folks,

I am hoping for a last minute burst of counsel. After wending my way through all the different campers out there I kept getting led back to the FWC "Hawk". Not the fanciest and certainly not the cheapest but even people who have gone to other brands say FWC is bullet-proof. And to date me in my youth the saying among IT professionals was, "No one ever got fired for buying IBM."

And of course I ran into the "nothing really available among used" so I'm going with a NEW (gulp) Hawk with camper jacks, the 3.0' Waeco frig, double batteries, HW w/ outside shower, the LED lights interior lights upgrade and the Fantastic fan. (I'll tap in and install a Wave-3 heater later.) Sound OK? (Can't add roof racks for garage clearance with my 8' doors.) I'm guessing the Hawk will come in at 1,000# "wet".

So FINALLY now for my BIG question: I think we're going to buy a new PU. (Yes, I know this is silly financially but I'm finding clean, late model used PU's are almost the same money.) And after meandering through the 3/4 tons we (surprise!) find they drive too much like a "truck". (Don't hate me!) So question:

If I go with a 2012 Ford-150 XLT Eco-boost (love the engine) with the max tow pkg (and the Off-Road pkg) I have a maximum payload weight rating of 1,840#. (Ford does have a 2,310 Heavy Duty Payload Pkg for the F-150 Crew Cab but they are few and far between.) Most of the time it will just be the missus and me but occasionally four people in the cab.

NOTE: We'll be leaving the camper on basically full-time and doing mild to moderate four-wheeling and some over-the-road.

Soooo ... Is this going to be a livable situation? Will air bags be "enough"? I need to make a decision on which bed I am going to put the Hawk in this week for ordering purposes. Sure would appreciate input...

Steve

PS Our fall-back is a F-250 CC w the 6.5 bed and the 6.2 liter and it would be "tolerable" but of course the mileage sucks. (At 10,000 miles per year I calculate a "mileage penalty" of around 800 bucks with gas at 4.00.)

Hey folks,

I am hoping for a last minute burst of counsel. After wending my way through all the different campers out there I kept getting led back to the FWC "Hawk". Not the fanciest and certainly not the cheapest but even people who have gone to other brands say FWC is bullet-proof. And to date me in my youth the saying among IT professionals was, "No one ever got fired for buying IBM."

And of course I ran into the "nothing really available among used" so I'm going with a NEW (gulp) Hawk with camper jacks, the 3.0' Waeco frig, double batteries, HW w/ outside shower, the LED lights interior lights upgrade and the Fantastic fan. (I'll tap in and install a Wave-3 heater later.) Sound OK? (Can't add roof racks for garage clearance with my 8' doors.) I'm guessing the Hawk will come in at 1,000# "wet".

So FINALLY now for my BIG question: I think we're going to buy a new PU. (Yes, I know this is silly financially but I'm finding clean, late model used PU's are almost the same money.) And after meandering through the 3/4 tons we (surprise!) find they drive too much like a "truck". (Don't hate me!) So question:

If I go with a 2012 Ford-150 XLT Eco-boost (love the engine) with the max tow pkg (and the Off-Road pkg) I have a maximum payload weight rating of 1,840#. (Ford does have a 2,310 Heavy Duty Payload Pkg for the F-150 Crew Cab but they are few and far between.) Most of the time it will just be the missus and me but occasionally four people in the cab.

NOTE: We'll be leaving the camper on basically full-time and doing mild to moderate four-wheeling and some over-the-road.

Soooo ... Is this going to be a livable situation? Will air bags be "enough"? I need to make a decision on which bed I am going to put the Hawk in this week for ordering purposes. Sure would appreciate input...

Steve

PS Our fall-back is a F-250 CC w the 6.5 bed and the 6.2 liter and it would be "tolerable" but of course the mileage sucks. (At 10,000 miles per year I calculate a "mileage penalty" of around 800 bucks with gas at 4.00.)

Welcome to the board, Steve. Where you from?

Welcome to the board, Steve. Where you from?

Hi Mark,
Being the imaginative sort I chose a user name from where I hail- the 4WD mecca of Durango, CO. We moved here in 1976 but spent the last 16 years living in the Dominican Republican along with a 3 year detour care-giving my in-laws in Missouri.

We've been back in Colorado for a year and a half and are ready to get back into the mountains we love along with the side canyons of Utah that are 3 hours away.

I'm right at the "pull the trigger" stage on the Hawk and need to know what truck bed I am going to put it in. Help!

Steve

I put my brand new Raven on a new RAM 1500 bighorn that I got for $11k off on sale. It drives real nice. Since you are OK with the Hawk over the grandby etc. I would pick the truck you like the most. If you end up like me and get the shorter bed dual cab, you may end up wanting the Raven as well. It's only 10"" shorter but fits the truck nice:
IMG_0161.jpg

Hi Mark,
Being the imaginative sort I chose a user name from where I hail- the 4WD mecca of Durango, CO. We moved here in 1976 but spent the last 16 years living in the Dominican Republican along with a 3 year detour care-giving my in-laws in Missouri.

We've been back in Colorado for a year and a half and are ready to get back into the mountains we love along with the side canyons of Utah that are 3 hours away.

I'm right at the "pull the trigger" stage on the Hawk and need to know what truck bed I am going to put it in. Help!

Steve

Yep, I thought so, and started looking at HD trucks in your neck-o'-the-woods. Not so many, it turns out.

What *I* would do is get/order that Hawk, if you can and it's 'reasonable', *now*. You can get it home on a rented U-Haul utility trailer (or have it delivered) . Then take your time with the truck thing, knowing you might have to get creative, e.g., fly South with a check and drive it home.

I think there are or will be plenty of used HD trucks available when you start seriously looking, but the one you want will probably be South of there.

Keep on it!.

Thanks, Mark. The challenge according to Chris up at FWC in Denver is they build the Hawk to suit the bed of the truck. For example, even the sidewalls of the F-150 and the F-250 vary by more than 2".

Sigh,
Steve

Thanks, Mark. The challenge according to Chris up at FWC in Denver is they build the Hawk to suit the bed of the truck. For example, even the sidewalls of the F-150 and the F-250 vary by more than 2".

Sigh,
Steve

Still, and all, they didn't *used* to; so get the one that would fit the most trucks (don't forget- you might want to sell it some day).

[EDIT] Really? FWC is customizing the shells to the trucks? Sounds like a way of creating supply inflexibility in the used market, and thus more demand in the new market, to me. :shakes head:

I just put my new Hawk on the the scales. It has the same options as yours plus the factory furnace and it came in at 1,300 pounds DRY and EMPTY with the jacks removed. I will be well over a ton loaded. These things are NOT that light with options.

I highly recommend a 3/4 ton truck. I love my new Chevy 2500HD and I can't believe how nice that thing rides and handles, with or without the camper.

By the way, my Hawk just cleared my 8' door by about 2" and Chris here in Denver was great to work with.

I just put my new Hawk on the the scales. It has the same options as yours plus the factory furnace and it came in at 1,300 pounds DRY and EMPTY with the jacks removed. I will be well over a ton loaded. These things are NOT that light with options.

I highly recommend a 3/4 ton truck. I love my new Chevy 2500HD and I can't believe how nice that thing rides and handles, with or without the camper.

By the way, my Hawk just cleared my 8' door by about 2" and Chris here in Denver was great to work with.

I agree on the weight,once you add cooking gear, food, water and any gear you load in the back of your truck cab.
I have a chevy 1/2 ton which works just fine, but I leave plenty of distance for braking so far. I have 100K on it and hope it makes it over 200K. When it kicks, I definitely will go with a 3/4 ton, just hope I can afford it when I am retired.

i have been browsing the forum for a few months. mostly watching the used camper thread. they sure do disappear fast. by the time they are posted you can't even see pictures because the ads are down. i understand why you would opt for a new one......

I am going to purchase a truck first then start the search for a used hawk. i am leaning towards a new or nearly new tundra double cab. 2nd choice is a dodge 1500 quad cab. I don't think i can afford a souped up truck or an hd model. is a basic tundra 4X4 going to handle the weight of a hawk?

from following the forum it seems like air bags and a shock upgrade are needed. is that enough on "stock" tundra or 1500? getting a new hawk sounds great. I don't think I can swing a newer truck and a $17,000 new camper (which is what it seems like it costs once you add the basic options I would want).

i am scared that even if I do buy a new or nearly new truck for (hopefully) around 25-30k it still won't be enough truck to haul around the camper....maybe i need to look at extra payload packages? Not going to be doing major off roading.

cheers

edit (tundra)4.6 liter v8 with tow package has payload of 1500 lbs
5.7 liter v8 1640 lbs
sounds like i am cutting it close. upgraded with airbags and shocks improves this a little? i don't know I see earlier generation tundras carrying hawks. they can't be that powerful

edit (tundra)4.6 liter v8 with tow package has payload of 1500 lbs
5.7 liter v8 1640 lbs
sounds like i am cutting it close. upgraded with airbags and shocks improves this a little? i don't know I see earlier generation tundras carrying hawks. they can't be that powerful

Power is not the problem. Spring, brakes and axle is the problem. That said my 2005 Tundra is fine with air bags, Helwig sway bar and E rated tires. You still may need these on a 3/4 ton.

Hey, let's get this thread back on topic- ME! (It's all about me you know!) :)

Seriously folks, just wanna know if I'm headed in the right direction here. We drove a pretty barebones 2012 Dodge 2500 with the Hemi and really liked it. It has the limited-slip differential and the 4:10 rear axle ratio. My question is should I look around for the 3.73 gearing or go with the 4:10?

I truly appreciate the opinions.

Steve

Hey, let's get this thread back on topic- ME! (It's all about me you know!) :)

Seriously folks, just wanna know if I'm headed in the right direction here. We drove a pretty barebones 2012 Dodge 2500 with the Hemi and really liked it. It has the limited-slip differential and the 4:10 rear axle ratio. My question is should I look around for the 3.73 gearing or go with the 4:10?

I truly appreciate the opinions.

Steve

IMHO, you will not use high gear with the camper in mountains unless your are going down them. OTOH, since the lower gears are 91% of the way to the 3.73 ratio, you can get to 100% with taller tires, if you so desire. Ground clearance is good if you're going off road.

Welcome-check out the thread we just did on putting in reinforced springs and my air bag problem with my old F150- vrs/and/or buy a new 3/4 ton truck-$500.00 vrs 50,000 and how if I knew what I know now, a 3/4 ton would be the first choice back then! :LOL: Now that I'm retired I should have bought everything at once and went first class-big truck & top line FWC with all the gadgets-including solar panels , while I had the steady paycheck instead doing it now on my 49% pension and now Social Security! Your choice, but what ever you do, you will have allot of great adventures with what ever you decide!

Smoke

IMHO, you will not use high gear with the camper in mountains unless your are going down them. OTOH, since the lower gears are 91% of the way to the 3.73 ratio, you can get to 100% with taller tires, if you so desire. Ground clearance is good if you're going off road.
Good point. And I WOULD go to bigger tires in a heart beat except that by my calculations the Hawk is going to fit under my 8' garage door right now with 1/2" to spare! On the other hand our comfortable cruising speed is 65mph so maybe the 4:10 wouldn't be too bad.

Steve

PS And yes, to Smokecreek, I was mightily tempted to go the upgraded F-150 route. But I'm bowing to the counsel of the masses and going 3/4 ton. We just flat didn't like the 2012 F-250 but feel very at home with the Dodge 2500 Hemi. So I'm (gulp) going to shell out a bit north of 50K for a new but very base 4WD 2500 and a fairly tricked out new Hawk. So what am I missing?
Waeco 110
HW with outside shower with the DSI upgrade
Fantastic fan
LED lights upgrade
Auxilary battery system w/ second battery

Going to install a Wave-3 radiant heater later and maybe the Arctic pack. What am I missing? How does everyone feel about the rear flood lights option? I am getting deeper and deeper into "bracket creep" here as in "What's another 500.00"? :)

One more question. I am thinking about carrying a small invertor Honda or Yamaha generator for charging up the batteries instead of going with solar panels. Smart or dumb? And if so- would the 1K or 2K generator be the way to go?

Ooops, sorry Durango 1, didn't realize you had started this thread!

No worries! I'm just extremely appreciative of everyone's counsel.

Steve

Good point. And I WOULD go to bigger tires in a heart beat except that by my calculations the Hawk is going to fit under my 8' garage door right now with 1/2" to spare! On the other hand our comfortable cruising speed is 65mph so maybe the 4:10 wouldn't be too bad.

Steve

PS And yes, to Smokecreek, I was mightily tempted to go the upgraded F-150 route. But I'm bowing to the counsel of the masses and going 3/4 ton. We just flat didn't like the 2012 F-250 but feel very at home with the Dodge 2500 Hemi. So I'm (gulp) going to shell out a bit north of 50K for a new but very base 4WD 2500 and a fairly tricked out new Hawk. So what am I missing?
Waeco 110
HW with outside shower with the DSI upgrade
Fantastic fan
LED lights upgrade
Auxilary battery system w/ second battery

Going to install a Wave-3 radiant heater later and maybe the Arctic pack. What am I missing? How does everyone feel about the rear flood lights option? I am getting deeper and deeper into "bracket creep" here as in "What's another 500.00"? :)

One more question. I am thinking about carrying a small invertor Honda or Yamaha generator for charging up the batteries instead of going with solar panels. Smart or dumb? And if so- would the 1K or 2K generator be the way to go?

Hey-forgot the awning------another feature I love the most along with hot water. I don't know who many times i sat under that in the shade on a very hot day and conversely on those rainy and not to windy days, sitting under it instead of inside the FWC make a big difference on on the enjoyment scale-and after a while you find out that maybe extending it out only a few feet will also give you enough cover to stay outside and---it only takes a minute to put it up or take it down-and well worth the effort!-spend it while you got it:LOL:! You'll like the arctic pack too!
Smoke

You are doing yourself a BIG favor by starting out with a 3/4 ton truck. You are going to love it.

I have solar on my Hawk, but carry a generator at all times because you can never be certain of the weather. I've been in the Rockies on a 21 day trip and encountered 18 days of rain. The generator was used extensively on that trip. I have the A/C option on my camper....so when it is needed I carry a Honda 2000. All other times I just carry the Honda 1000. The 1000 is lighter and really sips the gas....and will provide all the power you will need. Since it is smaller it stores better too. I put mine right between the two boxes of my dinette. The Honda is prefered over the Yamaha since they have a DC charging optional cord for your trucks main batteries if they should ever need a quick boost.

I see you are opting for the Wave heater and many folks like them. Check out the standard FWC furnace too. I love mine and it warms up the camper really quickly.

When stuck on deciding on options such as the rear flood lights....you might want to consider paying FWC to just do the wiring so you can add them in the future without any trouble. That way you save the cost up front when you are buying your new truck and camper....but still have the ability to add them later.

FWC does the wiring for the solar panel on all new campers....have them terminate the wiring in the roof with a waterproof connector, that way if you decide to add solar in the future it is a snap. Otherwise you won't know where the roof wiring terminates....don't ask me how I know this.

Good luck and have fun with your new rig.

I have a 2011 Hawk with most of the options on the back of an '05 Dodge 2500 diesel. In my opinion, the 3/4 ton truck is a better option than the 1/2 ton if you have the choice. Larger brakes, axles, springs etc, mean you aren't pushing the limits of the vehicle all the time. I pull a trailer with 15' boat, outboard, dive gear, fishing gear, extra fuel behind the truck/camper combo to Baja and back every year and the diesel gives me around 18 mpg. Try that with a gas engine.

If you have a truck already, you can make it work. If you are going to get a truck for the camper, go with a 3/4 ton and think about the diesel option. It works for me...

Back
Top Bottom