What's the largest socket in your tool chest?

EdoHart

Grasshopper
A neighbor borrowed a few tools tonight (I made him sign an IOU) and he was surprised to see my 2-3/32" socket (a special tool to say the least). My next largest size socket is a 43 mm (which is also a special tool).

We got to talking and it made me wonder, what is the largest socket in your tool chest?

Proudly Made In America

By the BMF Torque Wrench Company: 1 1/2'' drive 4'' socket med. deep for the removal of one big prop nut. Got one bigger than that? And, yes the BMF co. is for real.

I'm almost afraid to ask...

By the BMF Torque Wrench Company: 1 1/2'' drive 4'' socket med. deep for the removal of one big prop nut. Got one bigger than that? And, yes the BMF co. is for real.

Because they build a 1-1/2" drive 4" socket, I would call them BMF (or some other acronym for swear words) no matter what their company name was.

My question is: What kind of torque do you need to apply to that big prop nut during installation?

I probably only have a standard 1" or so. I used to have some larger stuff remove the hub nuts and such on vehicles but those "walked" away with a round of tools some years back. Haven't had a need for anything larger lately that I couldn't work around with another tool. I tend to buy em as I need em (or foresee a need).

I've got a Steven Walden Tool Company 1" drive 6" 12 Point Socket from when I worked in the steel shops years ago. Used to remove 12" Plugs off special pressure ports for testing. Funny part about Waldens was when you broke a socket, you just drove up the street to the factory and they would give or make you a new one, until they went out of business in 1995.

I should look around to see which box I put it in, it was too big to fit in my regular socket racks, so I put it in a drawer of one of my roll around tool boxes.

Of course keeping track of my tools is like keeping track of my bank accounts. I know there are some there, and there, and here, but what is actually in the boxes is beyond me. maybe someday I should actually gather all my tool boxes in one place and sort through them:rolleyes:
But if I did that, I wouldn't be able to drive there and have my tools waiting for me.
:thumb:

Not sure, think its about 3 1/2". For the Jeep wheel bearings. I'd go measure but Matt has us all beat by a long shot.

Gettin' kinda personal there...

Good thing I don't have "socket envy"... :D

Biggest one here is 1 1/4". Can't remember last time I used it...

CB

Back
Top Bottom