Where to buy an aluminum flat bed?

Paul B.

Advanced Member
As stated elsewhere herein, I'm putting together an F-350 camper. Who sells/installs the aluminum flat beds? Hopefully in Southern California? (Though I'd go wherever necessary.). I googled relevant topics and had confusing results. Is there a preferable size/style?

FWC's new website would suggest that FWC has something in the works regarding either a builder or potential source for flatbeds also. Worth a call or two I bet those guys have it figured out.

There are a ton of them sold right down the street from me but that is in Southern Idaho

I live in Los Angeles. Checked the Internet, couldn't find anyone selling them around here. No one here builds trucks custom. I asked both FWC and ATC via email, no definite response. It's like they don't want to make a solid suggestion. And XP Camper's prices on everything scare me. I thought if there's no way I could afford their campers, why ask them about flat beds.

I have spent quite a bit of time on the aluminum flat deck conundrum. If you want a deck that is the exact size of your camper like most people, you have to build your camper to a flat deck manufacturers sizes or have a deck fabricated to the exact size you want your camper to be.

I didn't want the size of my camper to be decided by the size of the decks that are on the market like the "Ute Deck" used by FWC. So I decided to have a deck custom fabricated to the dimensions of my camper.

I would believe you have many qualified aluminum fabricators in the LA area that can make up an aluminum deck if you chose that route.

If you prefer a prebuilt one, have a look at Aluma. They make nice sized ones for full sized trucks like yours. Their 8100 series can be had in 81" wide by 7 and 8 feet long, should cost about $2000 and weigh under 300 lbs. They list 5 dealers in the LA area. Bakersfield, Ridgecrest, Ventura, Beaumont and Ramona.

http://www.alumaklm.com/truck-beds.html

While searching them I also found:

http://www.alumline.com/truck-bodies/truck-bed-popular-models.html

w-550~Image1_56084751.jpg

Personally I'm not a fan of deck plate used anywhere that I'm not actually going to step on, and even then in moderation.

ntsqd said:
Personally I'm not a fan of deck plate used anywhere that I'm not actually going to step on, and even then in moderation.
I feel the same. I wanted smooth sides on the body and only have it on the top surface because it should grab onto the new coating ATC uses on the bottom of the camper.

I happened to poke in and caught this thread:

ntsqd said:
This is who I *think* XP used to use:
http://www.uteltd.com/pgs/05-buy.html
I haven't followed on the camper front too much these days but unless he switched back he was not using UTE. Almost want to say off memory perhaps http://www.denver-offroad.com/ but I could be completely off base there.

MANXMAN said:
I have spent quite a bit of time on the aluminum flat deck conundrum. If you want a deck that is the exact size of your camper like most people, you have to build your camper to a flat deck manufacturers sizes or have a deck fabricated to the exact size you want your camper to be.

I didn't want the size of my camper to be decided by the size of the decks that are on the market like the "Ute Deck" used by FWC. So I decided to have a deck custom fabricated to the dimensions of my camper.
FYI there is more flexibility in the ute deck sizing that you think, you just gotta talk to the rep. There were a couple widths that were standard (and I think you could ask for others) and some standard lengths and I KNOW you could ask for different lengths in 6" incriments (the deck board width). I ordered mine at 7'-6" long.

Some pics I've previously posted when installing:
img_109032_9_d738693c30f556beb8952587a881e7c5.jpg

img_109032_11_a4ad92cbd385856a771bc367e47526d6.jpg

img_109032_13_f48eb6529875dbce6052bc1c29e1a495.jpg

img_109032_15_eee889e682bfd2db17ebbeb2ea92e790.jpg

pods8 said:
FYI there is more flexibility in the ute deck sizing that you think, you just gotta talk to the rep. There were a couple widths that were standard (and I think you could ask for others) and some standard lengths and I KNOW you could ask for different lengths in 6" incriments (the deck board width). I ordered mine at 7'-6" long.
Things have changed then. When I called them in April of this year, I was told they had no stock at that time to fit a Tacoma. A shipment was due in about a month but the width would be 6 ft only and there was no mention of ordering optional widths.

Could have. But reading into your post based on my dealings it sounds like they stated 1) nothing in stock (not surprising, they order to spec tpyically), 2) the incoming order only had 6' beds. That incoming order would have already been placed a month or so prior thus there wouldn't be the ability to add to it.

The third puzzle piece not mentioned in your post (but you may have actually discussed it) would be future orders, that would be when you could have made a custom request (at least that was the time frame I had to make mine). However the timeframe for placing the next order and subseqent fabrication slot/shipping time may have put the delivery timeframe a few months out which may or maynot have been something tolerable to you.

Not specifically pumping UTE, just clarifying from my dealings with them. I was living in the Seattle area at the time so I have the luxury of meeting face to face to talk options (and gather more details) and pick it up local.

I was interested in the same type of product and spoke yesterday with the guy who used to make the flatbeds for XP before they began making their own. His company is called Oztray and he's located near the Vancouver area so likely not much interest to you. I asked for a ballpark quote on a flatbed for a Dodge 3500 with under mount storage boxes on both sides and a pull out drawer on the end. The price he gave me was around $9-10K. I believe that's roughly the same price XP charges for theirs.

Back
Top Bottom