Where to camp near Bodie, for Ghost Walk Tours?

billharr

Thinking about going to the Bodie Ghost Walk. How far away will I need to go to camp for the night? Setting up camp at night is not bad if you know where you are, not so great if you do not.

I was looking at going on June 28, just looked and the tour is sold out this morning. There were 19 tickets yesterday. Next tour is July 26th I might hold off for that date, but buy tickets soon. Site says the park is open until 10 pm and you can walk around on your own or take a tour. Has anyone done one of these tours? I know a good guide can add so much information and are will worth the small cost.

Anyone else thinking about going?

Bill, thanks for the heads-up. Just got my tickets for August 15. As of about 15 minutes ago, there were only 35 more tickets available for Aug 15.

Posted a map of the area to the other thread. Lots of camping close to Bodie.

I've done a day tour of the mill. If you do a day tour request or ask about one lead by a ranger in period costume. Our group was lead by the "wife of the mine superintendent". It was great. She was conducting job interviews deciding where each of our group would end up "working" in the mill. Definitely do a tour.

Just ordered two tickets for July 26th. Only 16 tickets after my order, they may all be gone tomorrow if like the June date. I am doing both tours.

Bill

Thanks for keeping us informed, Bill. We're probably coming down on June 28th, but not for the tour as much as opportunity to photograph the town at night.

Andy, I may have misunderstood you, but you need to get tickets to be in the park after normal closing. If you haven't already gotten tickets for June 28th, you're out of luck as that date is sold out. These are separate from admission to the park.

K6ON that is not the way I read the State Park site. It says:
Prices

Adults: $5 per person
Children: $3 per child (ages 1 to 17)
Children ages 1 and under are free

Only cash or checks are accepted at the Park Entrance Station.

Special Events
On June 28th, July 26th, & August 15th the park will remain open until 10 PM
Ghost Walk and Star Stories - evening tours will be available

http://www.bodiefoundation.org/bodie-ghost-walk-and-star-stor/
Come early - entrance gates close at 9:30

I read it like you can be in the park until 10:00 pm

billharr said:
K6ON that is not the way I read the State Park site. It says:
Prices

Adults: $5 per person
Children: $3 per child (ages 1 to 17)
Children ages 1 and under are free

Only cash or checks are accepted at the Park Entrance Station.

Special Events
On June 28th, July 26th, & August 15th the park will remain open until 10 PM
Ghost Walk and Star Stories - evening tours will be available

http://www.bodiefoundation.org/bodie-ghost-walk-and-star-stor/
Come early - entrance gates close at 9:30

I read it like you can be in the park until 10:00 pm
That was my understanding, but I should check before we drive out there.

RE: Camping
Green Creek is just the opposite side of 395, so one option would be to head there after the tour. Alternatively there are two routes that leave Bodie, not counting Cottonwood Canyon. Bodie-Masonic Rd. heads west then north from the main parking lot and can be the way to drive the Bodie Hills heading for Bridgeport. We've camped on a spur along that road, but only once. I believe that 3pin knows this area rather well.

Last year we drove the Bodie Rd. (heading north from Bodie on the main road) all the way to Fletcher, near the Aurora Crater, but you want to drive that during the day to appreciate the route. From Fletcher, it's possible to drive back to Bridgeport via NF-028. That drive offers access to the West Walker River at Rosaschi Ranch , of fly fishing fame.

If I were going I'd camp at Green Creek. Especially if you think you might be finding a site at night.

I seriously think you guys should check again before you go. Below is the link to purchase tickets for August 15, there's a back arrow on the page to get you back to the other dates. I'd put in a call to the Bodie Foundation Store if I had questions: 760 647-6564. If they weren't selling tickets for the Ghost Walks, they wouldn't have a page up for purchase. They took my money :)

http://www.bodiefoundation.org/store/#!/~/product/category=3645506&id=36680655

Lighthawk said:
We've camped on a spur along that road, but only once. I believe that 3pin knows this area rather well.
.............................................maybe

Traveling north from Bodie on the Bodie Masonic Road there are a few wide spots such as 38° 13' 56.2" N 119° 02' 36.51 W where you can pull well off the road and spend a quick night. Most of these spots are associated with cattle grazing, and I expect that cattle have been put into the Bodie Hills for the summer.

I will PM Lighthawk, Bill, and Bob the coordinates for one of our favorite campsites that we have used just a little further north.

ski3pin said:
.............................................maybe

Traveling north from Bodie on the Bodie Masonic Road there are a few wide spots such as 38° 13' 56.2" N 119° 02' 36.51 W where you can pull well off the road and spend a quick night. Most of these spots are associated with cattle grazing, and I expect that cattle have been put into the Bodie Hills for the summer.

I will PM Lighthawk, Bill, and Bob the coordinates for one of our favorite campsites that we have used just a little further north.
;)

Still undecided about this Saturday. Have the tickets for July tours but would like to scout out a camping area. Do you know where you will be camping?

Bill

I think we will head out Bodie-Masonic Rd.and camp somewhere up high, Bill. Frankly, I would rather not be leaving on the main road to 395, when there's mass exodus at 10pm.

Sorry you won't be able to join us, Bill. I'll report back, and maybe you have better information before you visit.

I've been playing around with TPE to determine when the sun/moon will be setting. The crescent moon will be trailing the sun by only an hour, so we should have some dark skies to see the Milky Way. :)

Bodie_sunset_6.28.2014.png

All set for July 26th, have tickets for both tours. Plan to drive up Saturday morning and find a spot to camp in the aspens off of Bodie Masonic Road. Then head over to Bodie for dinner in the parking lot and the tours. NorCalHawk many be there, I hope to say hello. Is anyone else going on the 26th? Moon sets at 7:51 PM so it will be a dark night.

Bill

Bill, We'll be there. '96 white/silver CTD/Phoenix pulling a TrailBlazer camp trailer. Still looking for camp spot options as I don't really know the area very well. Made note of the coords mentioned above, but would very much welcome suggestions. I'm guessing that the drive time to Green Creek after the event will be quite long, especially considering that the route is that which most everyone else will take.

Back
Top Bottom