Where to mount my 80 liter refrigerator?

ramblinChet

Gone Traveling
I have a Grandby shell and I am interested in hearing your opinion regarding where to mount my National Luna 80 liter refrigerator. My goal it to also build out the interior to include a sink and stove and possibly a seating area.

My initial though was to mount it up against the forward bulkhead in the center of the truck right under the window. This is advantageous since it down near the vehicle's roll center, I can access the contents when the top it down, it could serve as a seat also although the top would be a few inches high.

Another consideration was to mount it on the passenger side up on top of the wheelwell shelf - forward and near the front bulkhead. This keeps my passenger side window open to a large degree while keeping the mass up close to the centerline of the vehicle. It's a bit higher and the contents can not be accessed with the top down but while standing it will be much easier to reach down in and grab something as opposed to squatting down if it was mounted on the ground.

I also purchased the base plate which firmly secures the refer while permitting easy removal for cleaning, servicing, etc.

What I would really like to do is to keep the interior as open as possible while minimizing the impact of the placement of the refer, sink, stove, seating, etc. Your thoughts?

gallery_11029_1446_64400.jpg

gallery_11029_1446_23668.jpg

gallery_11029_1446_5762.jpg

If you mount on the floor under the front window, if it is lower than the carpeted wheel well sides, you could mount wood runners and lay plywood across for seating or an additional bed. You could remove it to access the fridge or have it hinged to fold back up against the front wall. I would have 2 pieces hinged so you have a bench seat which can be further folded out for a bed. Good luck.

It might be handy to be able to reach into the fridge from the door. I have to put one foot into my Grandby front dinette to get at the fridge, but I like that I don’t have to climb all the way in to grab something when we are cooking or hanging out outside.

Having made “refrigerator surprise” a few times on bumpy roads, we moved our fridge to the front as you suggest. Back door is a terrible place to have it, in my opinion.

my 75L dometic is going to the front under window, for weight distribution. can be used as a seat. will build interior shelving around it on left and right. i carry a small cooler when camping, and throw in some drinks, etc. so dont have to get in the camper as much. i have a 1/2ton truck, so doing everything i can to keep weight up front.

All wonderful suggestions based on experiences - thank you all so much.

Now that I think of it the center of the vehicle as low as possible will be the most stable since it will reduce the acceleration forces during pitch and roll. When I purchased the unit for my Jeep years ago I insisted on a top loading unit so I would never worry about having the door swing open on the trail.

I really do like the idea of it being available for multiple uses such as a refer with the top up or down and a seat. I am just trying to maximize the space I have and keep the camper as open as possible. Additional ideas are always welcome.

Back
Top Bottom