Which 12V fridges fit in the icebox hole?

natjwest

Contributors
My new Grandby (not mine yet, going to get it on Thursday) has an icebox and I want to immediately remedy that. I want to use the same hole for a 12V fridge.

Which models fit in there without too much sticking out? I saw this post for the Engel 35, looks like a good fit:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3328/page__view__findpost__p__35926

What about Waeco/Dometic? Coleman Stirling (is it discontinued)?

Can I pick up something from the FWC or ATC headquarters?

Thanks!

My new Grandby (not mine yet, going to get it on Thursday) has an icebox and I want to immediately remedy that. I want to use the same hole for a 12V fridge.

Which models fit in there without too much sticking out? I saw this post for the Engel 35, looks like a good fit:
http://www.wanderthe...dpost__p__35926

What about Waeco/Dometic? Coleman Stirling (is it discontinued)?

Can I pick up something from the FWC or ATC headquarters?

Thanks!

I'm guessing a standard fridge will fit in the ice-box area. A quick call to ATC or FWC will give you
the answer. If you have a Grandby, an Engel 45 fits nicely on the right end of the counter in the
wasted space. Photo attached of my Engel. I took the ice box out and converted that area to a pantry.
With the Engel, no need for a standard fridge. YMMV.

Attachments

• camper5.jpg
    camper5.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 213
  • camper2.jpg
    camper2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 200
On a grandby don't over look the option of putting it in the front bench area if dimensions permit, or places like that.

Yeah, that seems the best idea. Also, it will be away from the furnace. Now where can I buy an ARB or Engel or similar "chest" fridge in Sacto area on Friday? Does FWC sell them? They are listed on Engel's website as a dealer. I'd love a Coleman Stirling for cheaper.

If you have a Grandby, an Engel 45 fits nicely on the right end of the counter in the
wasted space.

I get space envy every time I see this set up Bob:

Now where can I buy an ARB or Engel or similar "chest" fridge in Sacto area on Friday?

Anything wrong with using a cooler initially while you get your bearings on the camper and make a non-rushed design?

Anything wrong with using a cooler initially while you get your bearings on the camper and make a non-rushed design?
Actually, yes. I don't need to make the decision of where to mount it or use it, or what to cut up/cut out/modify. I do just need to come back from the pickup trip with a fridge.

Actually, yes. I don't need to make the decision of where to mount it or use it, or what to cut up/cut out/modify. I do just need to come back from the pickup trip with a fridge.

Why? :unsure: You've previously stated your camper budget and such, I'm surprised you'd need to rush out and grab a new Engle verse shopping around a tad over the next couple weeks and such.

Yeah, that seems the best idea. Also, it will be away from the furnace. Now where can I buy an ARB or Engel or similar "chest" fridge in Sacto area on Friday? Does FWC sell them? They are listed on Engel's website as a dealer. I'd love a Coleman Stirling for cheaper.

Check out the link below. These are the guys that made the Coleman.

| info@globalcooling.com

marc

KC posted this on another thread:

" If you want brand new, I can highly recommend Sierra Expeditions out of Arizona. Great company with an excellent reputation. If you're not particular to the Engel, he's having a sale on the similar ARB fridge right now for $699 w/ free shipping." Might want to look into that, looks like a decent deal to me.

I got my 45 on eBay, but was not in a hurry to find one. I think if you buy one in Sacramento or Woodland you're going to pay full list price.

I have been looking for the same thing. Since I have a HAwk, the MT45 was gonna be a bit of a pain to find a space for.

I see that Engel started making front opening fridge/freezers that would mount in the icebox hole.

The SB 70 (12V only) will fit in the ice box space of a Hawk(2002) almost perfect.

Looks like that is what we will be doing. Since buying the camper used saved us so much $$$, I can spend a bit to make it perfect for me.

Northern Explorer found a 12v model that he retro-fitted very nicely I think. If I hadn't already ponied up for the Engel, I might have done what he did here and here

FWCmods034.jpg

I think it looks darn good, like it came from the factory that way. Could be an option for some folks...

So I just spoke with Engel and they said that with their new mountable front open fridge/freezer , you do not need to leave 2 inches for venting around compressor. Not sure I totally believe them, but can always cut a vent out by the sink. Anyways, go figure that living in Florida has its advantages.
The Engel warehouse is in Jupiter, about 20 minutes from my aunt and uncle and 45 minutes from my sister. So, when I am ready, I will drive down there, get one (the SB-70), mount it (with the help of my brother-in-law) and see how it goes. It will be my first trip in the new FWC.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom