Which pop up camper for our growing family?

DoGMAtix

I’ll preface this post by saying that I’ve spent quite a lot of time looking through this web site and have gotten a lot of useful information in preparation for buying our first *used* pop up camper. I apologize in advance for posing some questions that have been answered to some degree in other posts, but I’m hoping to get as much information specific to our situation as possible; if something directly relevant has been posted previously a link would be appreciated.

My wife and I have 21 month-old twins and are looking for a camper to take us through the indefinite future (we’re stopping at just the 2 kids). We're used to backpacking in the mountains and exploring canyon country, and need something that's relatively light and strong, and won't break on rough high-clearance roads - since we live in Albuquerque, we're within easy striking distance of the southern CO Rockies and Canyonlands. We need adequate space for sleeping, storage, and (slightly less important) somewhere for the kids to sit and do art projects and such when the weather isn't conducive to sitting outside. We've got a 3/4 ton short bed diesel truck (Ram 2500) with rear suspension air bags, which should have no problem taking a relatively lightweight 8' camper with the tailgate down. After reading a lot of posts on this site and talking to some very helpful folks at FWC and Hallmark it seems like we've narrowed down to 4WC Grandby vs one of the 8' models made by Hallmark. It seems like the tradeoff is that the 4WC is more lightweight and streamlined (we're climbers and mountain bikers and have a thing for lightweight, streamlined, well-engineered gear) and the Hallmark is a bit heavier and more luxurious (but still not too heavy for our truck as long as we don't pack TOO heavy). We still need to get inside a Hallmark to verify our impressions, but they seem to have a more living-roomish feel, which isn’t what my wife and I would normally gravitate toward but may not be a bad thing trying to maintain “creature” comfort for the kids.
SO, our current list of questions for those who have relevant experience (either with kids or similar needs) include the following:

1) What works/ does not work for sleeping space for 2 adults and 2 growing kids/ teenagers (or might as well ask, for 4 adults)? We'd love to find a front dinette Grandby, which seems to have comfortable seating for 4 and two nice big beds (the lower bed is 48 x 77 inches, vs 35 x 73 for the rollover couch model; I believe the side dinette bed is smaller yet and probably wouldn’t serve our purposes). Stan at 4WC says there’s an edging section of cushion along the wall of the rollover couch that can be made flush with the couch to widen the bed by maybe 8-10 inches. Hallmark’s side dinette bed conversion is 39 x 74 inches, which would be OK for kids, at least until they get bigger, and Hallmark does a hammock mod so that if the twins prefer a bunk bed configuration that would be an option. Anyone have experiences (good or bad) with any of these arrangements? By the way, I'm just shy of 5'10" and my wife is about 5'7" so we don't expect to be raising giants.

2) Any thoughts on sitting/ hanging out arrangements for a family of 4? Seems like the rollover couch won’t allow for comfortable family meals or much in the way of art/ homework sessions for the kids, so we’re leaning toward a dinette model. Though (again) we’d love to get a front dinette Grandby, these are very hard to come by used and we’re not in a position to buy one new, so we’ve pretty much given up on this as an option. Our main question is whether the side dinette Hallmark is roomy enough for a family of 4 to eat comfortably, and for 2 kids to spread out with projects. Or, has anyone done a table modification on a rollover couch Grandby that would work well for the above activities? We realize that the best solution is to sit outside, weather and bugs permitting, but we know the environments we’re planning to spend time in and we do need a good functional interior setup regardless.

3) Regarding storage, we’re pretty much convinced that a shorter camper (such as the 4WC Hawk) won’t meet our needs, unless someone has come up with some pretty innovative storage modifications. Anyone have any successful experience raising kids doing long trips in one of these? Even if we buy an 8’ camper I’m sure we’ll hit storage limitations pretty quickly, so we’d appreciate any general comments on storage specific to kids in campers that would be good to know before buying.

4) Any other experiences with basic configuration specific to family life (fridges, electricity/water limitations, toilet vs porta potty, etc) that would help us get things as close to right as possible the first time round, so we don’t end up having to do a lot of expensive/awkward mods or (worse yet) have to sell what we buy within a relatively short time and start looking all over again? We’ve pretty much determined we’ll need solar given our off the grid needs and will plan on 200W worth of panels, but we don’t need to get into that discussion here because it’s well documented elsewhere. Ditto for fridges, unless someone has advice that’s specific to families with kids.

Thanks in advance for sharing the WTW wisdom!
- Dave

Dave, check out ATC, too. Both FWC & ATC are quality products (as I suspect Hallmark is too). Visit a dealer or factory to see the models, and determine which model is best for your family.

Thanks, WS.
I just spoke with Geoff (Jeff?) at ATC, and it turns out their wider 8' version (the Cougar) can be configured so that the "L" shaped couch can span the width of the camper and form a long single bed width-wise in addition to the standard fold-out couch bed that's oriented length-wise (if the kids get really tall their feet may touch at the corner). That would make for adequate sleeping space for everyone. I don't imagine we'll find a used one built that way, but maybe we could do a retrofit. Also seems that a new one would be much more affordable than a new 4WC or Hallmark, so if we don't find what we want used that may be the ticket for us. ATC doesn't offer an outdoor shower option, but we could get a separate unit to set up outside (something like this: http://zodi.com/hot-showers/hot-tap-hp-shower), which seems like it would make sense since we're leaning toward going the route of porta-potty/ wag bags and a privacy enclosure anyway.

Tried posting from my phone, but it didn't take. When i started looking Outfitter and Hallmark were at the top of my list. With all of the options i wanted they priced out at around $44K. That was the end for a couple of months, then someone suggested i check out FWC. I drove to Wisconsin and my wife and i looked at the Grandby and Hawk. We settled on the Grandby with front dinette. 2 batteries, 100w solar, 80litre compressor fridge. I also got the solar plug and have since added a portable 80w panel. If you are close to California you should visit both ATC and FWC. I don't think there is that much difference in price. between the two. Good luck.

Longhorn, looks like you've pretty much got our dream rig! Front dinette Grandby with just the right amount of fridge and solar, 2 batteries, side awning. I'm sure you've got quite a few other useful options as well. Our wish list would include hot water/ outdoor shower, fan-tastic fan & extra roof vent, extra driver's side window, thermal pack, roof rack, lift assists, and of course we'd need jacks and brackets. That would put us a little over $24K before tax. A comparable ATC cougar would be about $5 or 6K less, but as per my post above, it would not have a dinette and would have a different sleeping setup (not sure if better or worse). Would also not have a shower option (or hot water, I'm pretty sure), and the fresh water tank is smaller (15 gal vs 20). In either case we'd be looking at CA tax on a new camper (yikes!). I guess I'd choose the Grandby over the ATC if we had the money to spend, but unfortunately we don't.
We're pretty much stuck looking at used campers for this go-round, maybe down the road we'll be able to justify getting just what we want new. For now, we'd be interested in finding out what we could do to make something more likely to come up used work for us.

By the way, visiting the factories is a great idea, WS and Longhorn. My folks live in the SF Bay Area, so next time we visit we'll try to budget time for a trip up to the Sacramento area. I've spoken with people at FWC, ATC and Hallmark on the phone, and they all seem professional and willing to spend a good deal of time answering questions although I know how busy they are (sorry to those of you awaiting camper builds!).

Dave, Have you checked out the gear exchange on this site? There are a number of campers for sale. They usually go very quickly. If you are good with tools you might want to consider a FWC or ATC Shell Model. You can then add some of the things you want to be included in your building, keeping the cost down, and then do the rest yourself. The used campers go pretty quickly. Craig's List is another place to check, but I think I would be more comfortable dealing with people off Wander the West. When you are young there are a lot of expenses and you don't want to over extend yourself. I'm 65 and this was something my wife and i wanted to do. I'm not very good at building so the Shell wasn't an option. FWC and I believe the same can be said for ATC have re-sale values coming in close to what was originally paid by the original owner. Get all of your ducks in a row so when a used one pops up you can pounce on it. Good Luck. John

Dave, Click on campers, click on Gear Exchange, and start with the top post "Used Pop-Up Truck Camper Alert Thread", click on the last page 177 for now. Then go back to the main Gear Exchange page and there are others. There is a 2003 Grandby listed for $4,500+

I've been living on the Used Pop Up Camper Alert thread for the past month and a half. Also Gear Exchange, Expedition Portal and "search all Craigslist." We've inquired about a few with no luck. The 03 you mentioned is no longer listed. We're well aware of how fast these things go. Unfortuntately we live in Albuquerque so most of the ones we've seen (in CA, Pacific NW, northern Rockies, or east coast) are not within range of a quick trip to have a look. If something we can't say no to comes up we're thinking about trying to find a local "handyman" to have a look for us and offer a deposit, though obviously there are risks to doing that.
Regarding fixer-uppers, we're willing to do minor mods, but up to a point (probably around $15K) we've got more money than time. My wife and I both teach at University level and with the twins we don't want to start another big project if we can help it (though after reading some of the do-it-yourself modification posts I'm sorely tempted). I'm sure we'll end up with more projects than we bargain for once we come up with a used camper, anyway.

Looks to me that for $15,000, you could have ATC build pretty near what you want. They are easy to work with. You can use the pricing/options list
http://allterraincampers.com/pricing-options/
to pencil in what you want to have and how much it will cost. That way you get what you want, though at a higher price point than used. You can also start using the camper right away instead of fixing it first, then using it. Don't get me wrong, projects are fun, but you already have a pretty big project with the twins.

I've already got an excel spreadsheet for a FWC Grandby and an ATC Cougar. Unfortunately ATC tips the scales at over $18K before tax ($20K after) even without some "luxuries" we'd be hard pressed to pass up, like cold weather pack and extra windows (they're bargain priced at ATC). There's a 12 week waiting period on orders now anyway, so we might as well wait until the end of camping season, when there will presumably be more used campers available, before we consider whether or not we can scrap together the cash to order new.

I appreciate the advice on optimizing searching/buying, but what I'm really looking for here is experience-based advice on how to stretch the limited space in an 8' pop up camper to accommodate a family of 4, hopefully without having to order a new custom rig.

Well, we found what we were looking for in a used 2008 Hallmark Guanella. We'll start out with the original large capacity 3-way fridge (which apparently works great) and will add solar soon anticipating eventually switching over to a 2-way compressor model. With the one-piece carbon fiber roof (same kind they're building these days) we can mount panels to the existing rack on top no problem. The former owner was a woodworker who's already made some modifications that will facilitate family living - a frame to securely stow the tabletop when the dinette bed is set up, an extra step up to the cabover bed, cedar drawers inside the wardrobe cabinet, and a shower curtain rod that attaches to the camper side to enclose the outdoor shower and porta potty. Hallmark will add a bunk bed above the dinette when the twins get big enough to start shoving each other off the edge of the dinette bed, but it should be several years before that happens.
This site has been a great help to us in figuring out exactly what we wanted and I'm sure will continue to be a great resource as we begin living with and customizing our camper.
Thanks to all, we'll see you on the road!
- Dave, Gillian, Milo and Aliya

A brief update: we came up with an easy solution to widen the dinette bed by stacking storage bins in the aisle and setting the table on top of the bins, then covering the whole setup with a full-sized inflatable mattress. The height of the platform in the aisle is exactly even with the bed, and the whole arrangement is very stable. Can pack things into the bins and they're weather proof to set outside (or in the cab if it's wet/muddy out) when hanging out in the camper. It takes a bit of agility to get out from the cabover bed while the kids are sleeping on the lower bed, but works fine for us.
We went with the cheapest Coleman inflatable mattress, which can be inflated with a tiny pump powered by 4 C-batteries. We prefer this to the ones with built in electric pumps, since we don't have AC power on the road. The whole setup cost us under $50 for the mattress and pump (through Coleman's web site), and $7.50 each for the 4 bins at our local hardware store. The mattress and pump pack down to about the size of a small pillow and disappear into a cabinet when not in use.
We may get fancier in the future, but for now this suits our needs perfectly and doesn't require any permanent alteration to the camper.

Attachments

• Camper bed expansion profile.jpg
    Camper bed expansion profile.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Camper bed expansion with tents.jpg
    Camper bed expansion with tents.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 157
I'll tell you...that's what used to be called ADORABLE

one of two in their own little tents..out camping of course

Too cute

congrats on the selection

Dave we usually buy used, however....with 4WC at least after looking for two years there were none or
when we found one we were too late as they always sold at full price within 24 hours of listing so we decided to buy new
take good care of it and hopefully recover 50% or more after 10 years of use (I have heard stories of 100% recovery
as the prices go up over time). Where can you get that kind of return on your investment?

Back
Top Bottom