Which side for awning?

M1010 Mike

Hi all,

I have my M1010 ambo project and I originally mounted my Fiamma awning on the passenger side of the box. Original I was going to put the kitchen on the driver side but to help balance weight, I now want to build it on the passenger side.

Most builds I see have the awning mounted on passenger side but is there any reason why I shouldn't move it to the driver side? Sure I can't open on the side of the road but that is likely never going to happen.

Reason I want to move it is, so I can fit a window over the kitchen area. With the awning and kitchen height, it only leaves 6" of space for a window.

Thoughts, comments???

I prefer kitchen activities under the protection of an awning. Exposure to rain or intense sun while cooking is not fun. But maybe you do kitchen stuff inside?

I think activities are passenger side mostly because that’s the curb side in the US. In an urban area or rv park I think that’s useful to know (sewer, water and power are drivers side). In the wilderness, doesn’t matter, party on all sides!

Maybe you need an awning on each side?

To balance the weight, maybe have power and batteries on the drivers side.

My truck is driver side heavy, so most of the weight of my camper buildout tends towards passenger side.

If the M1010 is that military box thing, why not mount the awning at the roof line? That seems plenty high to add a window. Then again, I’m in an FWC and the window is at crotch height.

Hopefully my ramble is helpful.

Todgru.

Kitchen will be inside. Due to the external vent and some internal structures, this was a high as I could put it, which is actually at the recommend Fiamma height.

0401211826_HDR.jpg

Seems like a good idea if it helps balance weight and lets you put window in kitchen. If you don't need use awning on roadside much, then I think no big problem with this plan. Also, putting a window above kitchen can really make space brighter and feel more open. Do it!

Back
Top Bottom