Which truck to buy for Four Wheel Hawk Camper

anthony

I am on the verge of purchasing a Hawk Camper. I wonder if anyone can give me some suggestions as to the best truck to buy for the Hawk. I am thinking of a 2014 Ram 1500 quad cap 6.4 box, 4 X 4, but I am a little concerned that the payload and truck build - it may not be adequate for the camper. Ram (Chrysler) suggest that the 1500 series are not built for truck campers. I prefer not to go up to a heavy duty truck however.

Any suggestions????

You can search and find a lot of discussions on 1/2 vs 3/4 ton trucks. 3/4 better but many of us using 1/2 ton with air bags, sway bars and better tires.

Buy what you like for a truck and it will carry the Hawk.

Looks like the Ram only has a payload of 1,200 to 1,600 pounds depending upon the model.
My Hawk was 1350 dry and empty with the jacks removed.

I'd listen very closely to what the manufacturer says:
"Ram (Chrysler) suggest that the 1500 series are not built for truck campers."

rayct77 said:
What's the reason for not wanting to step up to a 3/4 ton? Just curious. Mine drives great and I feel much safer when using a camper.
Just the fact that it seems like overkill for my needs generally. And the cost of gas on a heavy duty. But I agree, I think the 34 ton is built better for carrying a camper.

rotti said:
Looks like the Ram only has a payload of 1,200 to 1,600 pounds depending upon the model.
My Hawk was 1350 dry and empty with the jacks removed.

I'd listen very closely to what the manufacturer says:
"Ram (Chrysler) suggest that the 1500 series are not built for truck campers."
I agree with you, really. I think I will indulge and go for the 3/4 ton 6.4 Hemi. I might pay more at the pump, and more initially, but feel safer.

My Hawk with a full tank of water and no other gear in it is right at 1450 lbs. I carry it on my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel and it's a lot of weight. I notice it on my truck when I drive in city traffic with the bumps and dips. It's not bad, but I wouldn't want it on a half ton especially off road.

If I add the family and all of our gear for a week trip we are easily at the 9,000 lbs gross vehicle weight of my truck.

Bwht4x4 said:
My Hawk with a full tank of water and no other gear in it is right at 1450 lbs. I carry it on my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel and it's a lot of weight. I notice it on my truck when I drive in city traffic with the bumps and dips. It's not bad, but I wouldn't want it on a half ton especially off road.

If I add the family and all of our gear for a week trip we are easily at the 9,000 lbs gross vehicle weight of my truck.
Thanks - I believe would feel a little unbalanced on 1 1/2 ton.

I think you'd be fine with a 1/2 ton. A FWC is very light. I've seen a bunch of 1/2 tons carrying Palominos and even the small Lance's which are way heavier. Plus, many people on this forum use Tacomas which are way less heavy duty than a 1/2 ton.

As far as Dodge not recommending truck campers: They advertise their trucks hauling a 1000 pounds of rocks, so I don't see how a 1000 pounds of camper is any different.

I agree he would be fine with a half ton, but the question is which truck he should buy for a FWC. If you are buying a truck with that application in mind then a 3/4 or 1 ton would be better suited. IMHO the modifications that may be needed to make a 1/2 ton work along with the diminished capacity to carry extra gear have the potential for the OP to wish they would have upgraded the pickup to begin with.

Time will tell if the aluminum skin will be successful. There's a lot of skepticism on it. My major concern is the cost. Aluminum is very expensive compared to steel.

It's not the same as all-over aluminum skin, but my '99 Ford Ranger has an aluminum hood, and it has held up just fine. Ford has played with aluminum off and on through the years on the Rangers to shave weight.

If they can shave weight to add to the payload capacity, I think it's a smart move.

The F150 ecoboost can have a payload of about 2100 ibs, with the heavyduty package. Do you think, as is, without any other mods, would be adequate for the camper?

Texan76 said:
I think you'd be fine with a 1/2 ton. A FWC is very light. I've seen a bunch of 1/2 tons carrying Palominos and even the small Lance's which are way heavier. Plus, many people on this forum use Tacomas which are way less heavy duty than a 1/2 ton.

As far as Dodge not recommending truck campers: They advertise their trucks hauling a 1000 pounds of rocks, so I don't see how a 1000 pounds of camper is any different.
@Texan76,

Compared to other brands of campers the FWCs are lighter and the shell versions are even lighter, but I wouldn't say a fully loaded Hawk or Granby is "very light." Like I said before my Hawk fully loaded with propane, water, food, gear for a week long trip will be over 1,600 lbs. A 3/4 ton truck can handle this without airbags or sway bars, but I question any of the half tons ability to do this safely unmodified. IMO why spend the money on aftermarket parts and labor for a half ton truck to carry a FWC when a 3/4 ton will do it without a single modification.

These are just my views and not shared by all...lol!

Guess it depends on your perspective...1500lbs is pretty light in my book after having a hardside that was 4000lbs. Most 150/1500's don't have a lot of payload so any light camper will max it out. They will certainly work tho with a few mods. I like the HD running gear of a 250/2500 better but you pay the price in mpgs since it will weigh more but the truck will handle it better and the rig should last longer. There are a lot of used rigs in good shape out there and I think you can get more bang for the buck buying used as long as you're patient and you know what you want.

I agree Riverrunner.

In 2012 I needed to get a quad cab truck to replace my regular cab due to our expanding family. I knew I wanted a 2500 diesel and knew it was going to be a 5.9 liter dodge in the 2004-2005 year range so I didn't have to deal with DEF and smog equipment.

Prices for new 2500s are beyond ridiculous, but the used 2500s keep their value too especially the models without all the smog and no DEF. I feel fortunate to have found my truck. It had 66,000 miles on it and I scored it for $27,500. Here's a tuck identical to mine and a lot lower mileage. I think with some negotiating you could get this truck for under $30k. I'd rather have this used 2500 than any new half ton.

http://www.pasoroblesford.com/detail-2005-dodge-ram_2500-4dr_140_5_quote_wb_4wd_slt-used-11376048.html

But once again this just my take on things. Good luck to what ever you choose.

I bought my 2008 Dodge 2500 CTD for $32,000 three years ago. It had 18,000 miles. It has been fantastic. It now has 39,000 on it and is worth the same as what I paid for it. Can't complain about that at all. I currently run an Alaskan and will be purchasing a FWC in a couple of weeks at the Portland sportsman show. The 2500 handles the weight of my Alaskan with zero issues. All I have aftermarket is a front levelling kit, Firestone air bags (not needed but I had them for a trailer I used), and E rated tires.

Good luck with your choice. That's the great thing about these forums is you can check into people's opinions before you buy, but ultimately you get to choose what's right for you.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom