White Rim advice

Cayuse said:
... leave some things unknown to keep the sense of adventure!
I totally agree with Cayuse re: the above. However, for "self rescue" purposes only (and NOT because I'm addicted to this site) does anyone have any feedback if there is any Verizon phone or internet coverage along the WR Trail? (We do have two Wilson boosters- one for cell phones and another different one to improve internet.)

VZW service is pretty decent on the Eastern side of the loop (along the Colorado) where you have a view of the La Sal mountains, but not very good on the Western side of the loop (along the Green).

Steve,
I'm in Moab right now, did 5 days in the Maze last week. You'll be good to go with your rig on White Rim. There's some rain coming in Sunday but I don't think that it will hamper you. Ron

Moab now, Ron? If it is as beautiful a day as we are having in Durango, I'm envious!

But wait! If I'm in Durango getting ready to walk down the River Trail three miles to Happy Hour at the Red Snapper how could I be jealous of anyone? Thanks for the encouragement!

OK, everyone! I took all your comments to heart and went back and checked the online campsites. Guess what- some had opened up! So I talked with a very nice and helpful ranger (miracle!) and here is our revised schedule for next week:

Monday: Drive from Durango, last minute gas, beer, wine (you know- the essentials) in Moab and then check in at the Island in the Sky visitor center (4-5 hours) Then drive (slowly) down Shafer Trail and camp at Shafer campsite.

Tuesday: Take our time, visit Musselman Arch and maybe Lathrop Canyon. Camp at Airport

Wednesday: Detour to White Crack and then camp at Murphy.

Thursday: Fort Ruin hike and maybe Upheaval, camp at Labryinth.

Friday: Maybe sneak up Taylor Road for a look-see, then drive out Mineral Road and head for Durango.

We thought this would be a more balanced itinerary. What say you folks?

You're gonna have a great time. Don't "maybe" sneak up Taylor. Check it out. You will probably have wished you were able to reserve it for one of your sites. All to yourself!

When planning my trip I had a helpful ranger too.

ETAV8R said:
You're gonna have a great time. Don't "maybe" sneak up Taylor. Check it out. You will probably have wished you were able to reserve it for one of your sites. All to yourself!

When planning my trip I had a helpful ranger too.
So would you recommend Taylor instead of Labryinth for our last night? Never been to either one of them.

Durango1 said:
So would you recommend Taylor instead of Labryinth for our last night? Never been to either one of them.
I camped at both on my trip. Since you will already be camping along the White Rim proper I'd say get a night at Taylor. It isn't along the main road and sees little traffic. One single site with a pit toilet. There is parking for the trailhead and I'd suggest doing the hike to Zeus/Moses if you have time. It isn't too hard of a hike but the reward is great!

ETAV8R said:
I camped at both on my trip. Since you will already be camping along the White Rim proper I'd say get a night at Taylor. It isn't along the main road and sees little traffic. One single site with a pit toilet. There is parking for the trailhead and I'd suggest doing the hike to Zeus/Moses if you have time. It isn't too hard of a hike but the reward is great!
I agonized on this one. And I love the idea. But whether due to basic inertia or thinking better to keep distances as short as possible for maximum flexibility I weenied out and stayed with Labyrinth. But thank you and it is going into the future trip hopper!

ETAV8R said:
Hope you are able to sneak down and have a look at the location regardless.
Definitely on the list for either Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. My thanks to every one for their help!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom