White Rim in sept.

mitch h

We are planning to go in sept. We went a couple years ago. Went down the Shaffer trail switchbacks, I liked it. I want to get our overnight pass early. We drove only about 10 or 15 miles, could not get a campsite. Is the rest of the white rim too much for a 1/2 ton 4x4 chevy? No lift or winch.It has E rated tires with an oclet. She would not be a happy camper if I got stuck or tore up the truck. I know towing is really expensive. I heard it was not real bad unless it was wet. Thanks Mitch

You should be fine. Just be prepared for bad weather; it can change quickly. We went down there with a 4 cyl. 4x4 toyota and a non 4x4 Nissan ? and didn't have any issues with the road; the snow and rain we received with the non 4x4 was an issue though and only in one section.

I personally wouldn't hesitate in terms of getting stuck, etc.

Hope not, I'm doing it in April with a near stock Tundra and Grandby along with a couple other Toyotas. We're taking 4 nights and 5 days so plenty of time to stop and take photos, hike, enjoy camp, etc. I'll post back on how it goes and someone will probably write a TR but chances are it won't be me 'cuz I really suck at sitting down and writing those.

How hard was it to get permits?

Cayuse said:
Hope not, I'm doing it in April with a near stock Tundra and Grandby along with a couple other Toyotas. We're taking 4 nights and 5 days so plenty of time to stop and take photos, hike, enjoy camp, etc. I'll post back on how it goes and someone will probably write a TR but chances are it won't be me 'cuz I really suck at sitting down and writing those.

kmcintyre said:
How hard was it to get permits?
You reserve your campsites online several months out. I have sites from April 2-5 so I was able to book on December 5th. Basically I went online to the Canyonlands Backcountry Permit site and from there you can go in and see what is available for campsites. The biggest challenge was getting all the sites lined up in a way that worked for when I was going to be in the area.

Cayuse said:
You reserve your campsites online several months out. I have sites from April 2-5 so I was able to book on December 5th. Basically I went online to the Canyonlands Backcountry Permit site and from there you can go in and see what is available for campsites. The biggest challenge was getting all the sites lined up in a way that worked for when I was going to be in the area.
That's how I remember it. I don't know how the commercial tours always seem to get sites though....

Sounds like a great trip and one I plan to do in a few years. Drove some of it in the Wrangler last year and can't wait to do the whole thing with my Ram and Camper.

I'd thought about the site logistics too and was curious how that worked. Are you looking at one night on the trail?

Cayuse said:
I did WRT a few years ago in April with MarkBC in his stock F250 and me in my stock Tundra. Nothing was technical but there were some steep, narrow spots and it was nice to have low range and good clearance. My plastic awning case got a scrape from an overhanging rock somewhere along the line. Watch out ahead for people coming toward you. There are many narrow shelf roads where no one can pass and backing up with a camper on back would indeed tax the nerves. Beware of storms.

Thanks guys, thats what i wanted to here. We want to stay at least 2 nights. We can't reserve until April for Sept. I,m going call and check for sure. Cayuse, I know how you feel about TRs. Wish I had talent Ski and others have.

mitch h said:
Thanks guys, thats what i wanted to here. We want to stay at least 2 nights. We can't reserve until April for Sept. I,m going call and check for sure. Cayuse, I know how you feel about TRs. Wish I had talent Ski and others have.
Mitch, see if you can get White Crack campground reserved. It is about half way around and if you are driving clockwise, most of the interesting driving sections are to come. Then maybe get a second night's camp down by the river under the cottonwoods.

Stew , you have great timing. I was going to ask witch cg would be a good one. Sounds like a plan, thanks.

mitch h said:
Stew , you have great timing. I was going to ask witch cg would be a good one. Sounds like a plan, thanks.
Just as a heads up. White Crack only has one site and is one of the most desirable spots along the White Rim so you'll have to nail the timing in order to get it.

Our sites will be Airport, Murphy's Hogback, Potato Bottom and Labrynth. I'll try and get a quick review of sites up after the trip or feel free to PM me and I should be able to give you some reviews and thoughts. I'll be back to the fully connected world on April 10th and will have intermittent coverage from the 6th-10th.

The more i look, I think we need 3 or 4 days. I have been watching the reserve site and they do go quick. Enjoy your trip in April. I'll be watching for your TR. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom