White Rim Trail with 2WD?

John D

I have been over the WRT (White Rim Trail) with my buddy, Dan, in his M38 Jeep. The WRT is wonderful in a Jeep. From that experience, I believe a good 2WD pickup with a limit slip differential might make the WRT in dry weather, except I would worry about climbing Murphy’s Hogback and coming back out of Lathrop Canyon. My 2WD truck has a manual transmission. I don’t believe it is geared low enough for these areas. However, I do think a well set up 2WD truck could do it. Opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. I have decided to not try the WRT in with my 2WD/Keystone and I have been looking at new trucks with 4WD.

I want to take my long time camping partner on some dirt roads in Utah, including but not limited to WRT. I have looked at diesel 4X4 pickups, gas 4X4s, Toyotas of various specifications, and others. The more I look, the less I want to give up the nice ride and road performance, gas mileage, etc. of my 2WD truck. If I change to a 4X4, it would be a new one because good deals are to be had with the high gas prices. However, I am about to conclude the best solution for me is to keep my 2WD, camp in Moab, and rent a jeep for running the off-road Canyonlands trails. We would be comfortable taking a tent in the rental jeep for a few nights in the outback, and use our Keystone as a base of operations in town. We could take the 2WD/Keystone on easier dirt roads in the BLM areas for remote camping too.

In my opinion, true 4WD drive roads take a toll on any truck, including a 4WD. I am asking myself why abuse my truck unnecessarily when there are jeeps to rent in Moab. Opinions on this approach of renting a jeep for the tough trails would also be greatly appreciated. I have seen many pictures in this forum posted by members who have taken their campers over the WRT. Therefore, I am sure we have solid well informed opinions.

I have posted a picture of my buddy’s M38. It was great fun to take a 1953 stock military jeep over the WRT. We used 9 gallons of gas in 4 days on the trail, Moab to Moab. –John D

Attachments

• M38 in Canyonlands.jpg
    M38 in Canyonlands.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 337
There is the option of a baja bug with low gears. Its amazing where those things can go and you can tow behind the truck. I've seen them all over Utah. I drove up to Panamint city in a new '78 VW once. The track wasn't much more than the rocky river bed and there was a lot of backing and maneuvering. I did break off a oil pan nut but it made it.

Theres a lot to be said for light weight. Lots of stuff I'll do in my Jeep I wont do in my Truck just because its so big and heavy.

As much as the Jeep is a better wheeler it does have its limitations. I high centered the truck once while towing the Jeep. Unhooked the Jeep and tried to use it to free the truck. Woudn't budge it.

My buddy, Dan, has been off roading since the 60s and is very accomplished at the sport. Dan will tell you that VW rails will go places a jeep will not go. Rail guys do like to have jeeps around to pull them out when they get stuck but apparently jeeps don’t pull out ¾ ton trucks. I understand the national park service has limits on the type of off road vehicles allowed. Hopefully, someone will post that information.

Does anyone in the forum have experience with taking a 2WD truck camper over the WRT?

Attachments

• 1953 M38 White Rim Trail.jpg
    1953 M38 White Rim Trail.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 307
I've been contemplating this same thing. Best argument for 4x4 where 2x might go is that you don't need to have as much momentum with 4x4 and therefore are easier on the vehicle. Very important point, if you already have a 2x4, the switch to a 4x4 will be minimum thousands of dollars. To paraphrase, how far do you want to go, how much do you want to spend?
Sorry is this is a hijack of the tread, but...
The limited slip in my 04 Tundra DC has seen better days and I'm looking into getting a locker. Anyone with suggestions for a locker in the Tundra?

Back
Top Bottom