Why a FWC?

kbennett2000

Advanced Member
Since I've been keeping an eye open for a nice used FWC Hawk I've also seen lots of similiar designs from other manufacturers (Starcraft, Lite Craft, etc). It seems like there's a big price difference between these models and true FWC/ATC campers. I know this probably has a lot to do with quality, but what is it specifically that makes a FWC/ATC superior to some of the other models?

You can find a lot of this info on the FWC site here:

FWC FAQ

What is the campers biggest benefit? Many advantages are evident throughout the Four Wheel Camper design like the welded aluminum frame, low center of gravity and profile and the lightest weight in the industry. However, the greatest benefit is the flexible frame construction that allows the frame to move with the torque generated by the bed of the truck and manage the weight over the center of the axle, eliminating top heavy sway.

Kbennett2000, the answer to your question is “weight”. Particularly with the rising cost of fuel, a half ton pickup is what you want to drive and nothing larger. You can’t carry any of the other campers on a half ton truck without modifying the suspension of the truck. You see a lot of ¾ and 1 ton trucks used to haul campers but these trucks use a lot more fuel and they are much more expensive to purchase.

The basic concept of a truck camper is a half ton standard cab pickup with an 8 foot bed. These are work trucks used on every farm and by every carpenter/tradesman. The original idea was to use a standard light work truck for camping and for utility on the farm. Somewhere we lost our focus. John D

Somewhere we lost our focus.
What do you mean "we"?

Not the people on this forum... "we" have the best focus!! :D;):p:thumb:

Mike

Weight and cost. Not to mention that FWC factory is less than an hour away :) (atc wasn't in business yet when I bought mine)

Most of us here believe in the KISS concept. ATC & FWC fit right in with that. Very little wood to rot the flexible welded aluminum frame is amazingly strong. The door doesnt compromise the structural integrety of the camper. And on and on and on. If you never get on a dirt washboard or challenging road then a starcraft etc. works just fine. If your cup of tea is mostly sitting in RV parks or parked along the highway than you dont need an ATC/FWC. This crowd likes the road less traveled. We prefer remote places that are harder to get to and when we arrive these campers provide us with a bit of luxury.

And they're very cool looking!!!

And now a word about fuel prices. They aint gonna get cheaper. You can stay at home and watch TV or bite the bullet and head out. Life is too short to stay at home.

B99 is $3.70 in Tucson.

Jay - Good point! I've been trying to look at the positive side of high fuel costs as well - fewer people out on the road. Well, that and the fact that being out in the rig exploring the world simply makes me happy like nothing else does; I don't know how to put a price on that...

Bio for $3.70??? That's amazing! Colorado seems to be one of the few states where biodiesel is always significantly more than regular #2.

KB
When we lived in Oxnard, CA (TT & Sunny's base camp) bio was always 25+ cents higher than D2. Friends tell me its $4.25 or more in CA now. In Tucson it has always been cheaper than D2 at a station near my house for the past year. I dont know why but I'm not looking a gift horse in the molars. When bio from algae starts hitting the market in a year or so (yeah right) its supposed to drive the cost down. The cost of soy beans is high now so bio just keeps going up like all the feed crops.

Retired guys like me on a fixed income can hang around the homestead waiting for fuel prices to drop or go out and enjoy the rest of my life. I choose not to worry about it and have some fun with whats left. I think its a good phlosophy for those even younger than me. More time to play!!

Jay,

What station is that? I may have to fill up there when I'm on your side of town...

Better than the 4.13 I paid the other day for D2! I saw as high as ~4.30 up near Havasu/Bullhead/Kingman this week though.

Kyle

Rocky,
Its the Chevron station at Dove Mountain. About a mile west of Thornydale on Tangerine.
If you're in the neighborhood let me know. I'd love to see your rig.

Jay,

I'm usually running around town in the Jetta, 40 mpg vs. 19 or so in the Dodge. We should plan a get together sometime though... there is 1 or 2 others in Tucson too... aren't there? Perhaps w/ should move this to another thread instead of hijacking this one. :)

Kyle

Rocky,
I see a FWC on a Chevy every now and then with a woman driving. I'd need to look at the map page again to see who beside you and I are hiding in the old pueblo. I'll keep you posted here on our future trips.

Anyone that doubts we get off pavement just needs to look at the pics. Hard to find any include pavement.

Back
Top Bottom