Why (I think) FWC and ATC have a "cult like" following (was eye bolts replacement)

kmcintyre

I doubt many people saw my query on eye bolt upgrade and the issues with getting access to the rear (driver side) camper eye bolt. It was basically "hidden" underneath (my older Eagle) small cabinet.

What I've learned over the years with these campers, is that they have a cult like following. The more I work on mine (upgrades, not failures) is what I think, is the reason.

This is totally meant to be a kudos to ATC and FWC. If you are a bit older (like me) when cars had carburetors, condensors, points, etc. and didn't have all the electronics, you could work on them pretty easily. You didn't need specialty tools (in general) and could tinker, etc. with them.

That's how these campers are built. They are built so that you can work on them.

I was worried that I couldn't get access to the bolt w/o removing the smaller cabinet. I was worried that all the cabinets were interlocked and I would have to dismantle the camper to get to the old eye bolt. I had other options (cutting the old bolt and moving to a new hole; more on that in a bit), leaving the old hardware, etc. but since I'm upgrading everything I wanted to utilize existing holes (and not wanting to potentially weaken the mounting point).

Well... after a e-mail to Marty @ ATC and posting here, I decided to try and take the small cabinet out. Easy!!!!! 5 screws and it slides out (a little finesse). Old eye bolt out!

Now, the issue turned out that the old eye bolt is right up against the cabinet sidewall so I can't get my new backing plate in so I had to drill a new hole after all of that :-(. Not my first option but I'll patch up the old hole, paint it and I'm done.

Kudos to ATC and FWC! I'm sure the new campers are built the same way and I hope they don't change because it's pretty easy to access everything if you need to (ok, a few things are hard; water storage, etc. but not many) as long as you figure out where all the screws are.

I continue to be surprised, and a little disappointed, when I met FWC/ATC owners who feel nothing special about our campers.

kmcintyre has a point and I have certainly enjoyed customizing the camper. However, to me it is more the feeling of the freedom to travel, and the self-contained independence of our compact & elegantly designed little homes on wheels.

Bosque Bill said:
I continue to be surprised, and a little disappointed, when I met FWC/ATC owners who feel nothing special about our campers.

kmcintyre has a point and I have certainly enjoyed customizing the camper. However, to me it is more the feeling of the freedom to travel, and the self-contained independence of our compact & elegantly designed little homes on wheels.
Great thoughts Bill.
I try to talk to all the pop up campers I see out on our travels.
So far most have been nice to talk with.
On our Alaska trip I spent about 1/2 an hour showing a prospective ATC owner ,in Seward all about the camper.
Don't know if he ever got one but he was happy that I took so much time to show him the camper.

These are great and special campers but not for everyone.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
These are great and special campers but not for everyone.
Frank
X2, Frank. I'm always showing Sioux overloaded one ton PU's with bloated Lance campers or huge 5th wheels and asking her, "Are you sure you don't want a palace like that?" She says, "Nope. I want to go where the birds are." And so we do... down many a 4 WD road.

I've had many conversations with people in various places that come by, want to see the camper, etc. Everyone loves them. I always refer them to this forum.

I think if a company creates a quality products, you are going to have a select number of people who are passionate about it. They will endorse it willingly etc.
I know you mentioned that FWC and ATC are easy to work on. This is something I truly appreciate.

Apple is an example of a company that has a huge "cult like" following, yet they are some of the most restrictive products to adapt or work on.

I think the passion we have for FWC and ATC is because they make a quality product. The fact that we can work on them ourselves is the cherry on top.

I agree with all the above. I was watching a YouTube video of a guy who did a van build, and he made the comment, that he really liked his van, and he was very attached to it. He did a walk through tour, and explained every part of the van build, and what he had done and why.

I thought of this thread, and I think we're talking the same thing. When you remodel, or build one of these great little campers to your own liking, and your own tastes, it sort of becomes a part of you, an extension of you, and what has meaning to you.

In doing the restoration on my camper, which is still ongoing, I honestly couldn't put a price as to what its value is. Nobody else would ever feel the way I do about it, as a lot of thought, effort, anticipation, and planning went into the process. And it's kind of like the Johnny Cash song (One Piece At A Time), about the car built out of parts from many other models and years. It's been similar for me, as I gathered parts and pieces from all over. But that's what made it so much fun. Now I just see adventure ahead, and that is sweet! My little home on wheels.

I've been wondering what to call mine as it changed from a Grandby to a Hawk. Maybe I should have a decal made that says

"One Piece At A Time - Hawk"

Poky

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Yes the owners who are most attached to the campers are the ones who have build theirs out. Can be minimal build or a full build but it is how you like it when done. You also know every inch of your camper.

billharr said:
Yes the owners who are most attached to the campers are the ones who have build theirs out. Can be minimal build or a full build but it is how you like it when done. You also know every inch of your camper.
Bill you are correct but then connect this to all the adventures and places you've visited and stayed at in your camper and you'll get like us - wearing robes, chanting, and rituals.

Well, I must admit I've not built my camper out. Done a few very minimal adaptations on my own, mostly involving D rings and bungee cords. :unsure: Absolutely love the camper. 2 reasons, I think: 1. The number of people who come into my campsites and and even in parking lots and ask lots of questions about the camper. Once a guy with a HUMUNGOUS 5th wheel, who looked at my little Ranger II wistfully and said, "I bet you can go just about anywhere in that...?" Yep. :D So I get to pass along the good news re the camper to others. 2. Is of course the quality of support from the ATC crew. To be a good cult, you need a sangha...and I find the ATC shop provides just that. as, on reflection, does this website.

Well I have modified a few things in my camper. I don't think you have "build one out" to be attached to your camper.

ski3pin said:
Bill you are correct but then connect this to all the adventures and places you've visited and stayed at in your camper and you'll get like us - wearing robes, chanting, and rituals.
You forgot soaking is the hot springs. ;-)

What ever Bill, enjoyed that ride -we love our beasties, I don't even know how many "changes (both minor and major)" I've made to my Granby over these last -now-11years, and each one an new adventure! It seems like every time I turn around or flip on the lap top to this site I see something new to try. Right now it's mounting my new Wave 3, wonder what next shows up in my pop-up? Yep, change is what it's about and whether it was (once) putting new weight saving goodies or super foods in my old kelty backpack years a go or finding . something new and exciting to carry in my camper to make that next trip a better adventure, it's all about enjoying that next WTW time out there :D !

Smoke

I wonder what my camper is going to get for Christmas? Doesn't seem right for a member of the family to get left out :)

I need new window curtain hold back thingys. The nylon ones with the snaps. Mine have kind of rotted away. Anyone have a source for those? Now that they've fixed the freeway maybe I should pay ATC a visit.

Back
Top Bottom