Why We Do Not Have A Border Collie

i have been told that border collies or other herding breeds have been known collect family members from around the house and herd them into one room in the house. One must keep them mentally challenged otherwise to control herding behavior.

My first wife worked in Corvallis next to an OSU sheep farm. At times, one sheep would walk around a corner of a building and others would join the parade. With a good match between the number of sheep and the perimeter of the building, this continued until the lead sheep saw the last sheep going around a corner and hurried to catch up. This could result in an endless parade for some time.

Paul

Come on guys-now if you had 10 or 20 kids you would be whistling a different tune :rolleyes:! Besides you guys both knew (know) my last two border collie mixes Bobby and Timber Dog-and who could resist them? ----and you never met Babe-the border collie that sits in front of my pop-up up in my picture up to the left. Come to think about it, probably a dog is somewhere in most of the pictures I take-they make great scales when they feel like it!Ya have to give them something to do like give 'em a ball, a lake to swim in, a flock of sheep or kids to herd and they are happy. Yep the worst thing in the world is a herding dog w/o a mission because they will get in trouble. While they tend to "over think" things-given a choice -I'm a border collie/herding dog type of person!

Smoke

I'm still laughing! that was great... I have an Australian cattle dog... she is wicked busy...

Every year when our home owners association has the goats
from the company "Goats are us"come and eat/clean the
our green spaces we watch the dogs do their work.
It's fun to watch how they herd them.This year there were over 550 goats.
Lots of work for the dogs.

Frank

The herding instincts of those dogs is amazing. Pretty darn smart too, but too much energy for me!

Several years ago we had a WTW rally on the Animas River out side Silverton. One of the attendees did dog rescues and had either a Border Collie or Ausie that had been through herding school. One morning a herder brought his flock down the mountain and it became hard for him to contain the dog.

When I lived in Burns, Oregon, there were a couple three retired Basque shepherds living there. For the unaware, Basques were the one of the major groups of shepherds working across Eastern Oregon, Southern Idaho and Northern Nevada when range sheep were a big thing. Elsewhere too I suppose. Anyway, I’d occasionally encounter them out Chucker hunting with their stock dogs. They’d wander the brush and if they jumped some and didn’t get any they’d watch where they landed and go on the stalk. Once they got kinda close they would set the dogs out to circle around the birds and get them to flush back towards the hunters. It was I thought an impressive thing to witness.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Every year when our home owners association has the goats
from the company "Goats are us"come and eat/clean the
our green spaces we watch the dogs do their work.
It's fun to watch how they herd them.This year there were over 550 goats.
Lots of work for the dogs.

Frank
550 goats???? - thats a lotta goats

A few years back, we were camped at Fish Lake at Steen's Mountain when a huge flock of sheep were brought down to the lake by several Great Pyrenees, six or so Border Collies, a handful of shepherds with their ponies and mules to drink. It was quite a sight.
Always assumed they were Basques but don't know.

Paul

I was hiking with some friends when their rescue dog (heeler mix I think) brought us a couple of cows "No, Hank! You have to put them back!".

Another friend had a border collie who wore a circle in the carpet from "ghost herding". The dog would also wait outside the bathroom door to make sure everyone made it back to the living room.

And I lived with an Australian Shepard. I would find myself in the kitchen and wonder why I was there - until I looked down at the grinning dog.

I am a real active person but I would not EVER consider owning a Border Collie. I have known dozens of them and all but one were annoyingly neurotic UNLESS they had a job.

We have two very old healer mixes. When they were pups and took them on hikes, we noticed that they were always setting up a security perimeter, one out front, one behind. Stop for lunch, they would sit facing opposite directions and continually scanning the area.

My son and I once took one on them into Sycamore Canyon for a hike. We stopped at a spring to let her drink. She would not drink until my son and I faced opposite directions and provided security.

IMG_6036.JPG
I had this poster on the wall in my maths classroom for 20 years and now in my wood shop.

Back
Top Bottom