Will a hawk model fit in a long bed truck

goldcountryca

Will a hawk model fit in a long bed truck up against the cab or does the end need to hang past the bed floor?

I’m asking because hawks are much more abundant on the used market than grandbys are.

Thanks!

I have seen it done once. A fellow with a transport business, and used it as accommodations on the road. It was flush with the back of the bed. In front was an auxiliary diesel tank, plus stuff on top of the tank.

FWIW, it’s easier to get in and out when there is no “porch or tailgate”. The doors are short, and old men like me don’t like to bend over to get through the door.

I would say hold out for a Grandby, so much more room and you have the room on your truck, take advantage of it...

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. We have been running a Raven on a 6.5’ bed while we wait for our hawk. I have it flush with the end of the bed with a gap up front to avoid the awkward bending over to get through the door like was mentioned above. I’d also wait for a grandby if I were you since you already have the truck length to support it.

My wife and I were talking. We were considering a build out on a shell model grandby. I can weld and fabricate aluminum and steel. I may just build out a flatbed box with a pop up if I don’t find a decent enough deal on a grandby.

Just saw someone looking to trade their Grandby for a hawk on the four wheel camper page on Facebook.. maybe they would sell outright..

BBZ said:
Just saw someone looking to trade their Grandby for a hawk on the four wheel camper page on Facebook.. maybe they would sell outright..
Thanks for the heads up. I don’t have facebook, so I don’t think I’ll be able to see it.

Hawk Model will work on a long bed truck, but the camper will usually NOT push all the way forward against the front of the truck bed. The camper base will usually hit the wheel well humps in the truck bed, before it touches the front of the truck bed. We usually put a spacer in front of the camper, and either center the camper front to back, or build a bigger spacer in front, so the camper sits flush in the tail gate opening.

goldcountryca said:
Will a hawk model fit in a long bed truck up against the cab or does the end need to hang past the bed floor?

I’m asking because hawks are much more abundant on the used market than grandbys are.

Thanks!
My ‘21 Grandby FD will be going up for sale in a few months. Let me know if your in the market for one.

DarinH said:
My ‘21 Grandby FD will be going up for sale in a few months. Let me know if your in the market for one.
We may be. We were specifically looking for a smooth sided RC, but that’s something we could always modify depending on the specific deal.

We have a ‘21 Winnebago micro minnie 2108 fbs that we were considering selling, but I was going to try listing it as a trade for some form of pop up slide in camper to see what’s out there first. If nothing comes about in a month or two, we’ll be selling outright.

We figure, if someone like us is looking to downsize pretty fresh out of the gate; I’m sure there’s someone else that’s deciding they want something bigger.

I’m still researching build quality, but we like the fact that FWC has been doing it for a while and we’ll have somewhat local support being 75 minutes to woodland.

goldcountryca said:
@bbz I appreciate it. I’d likely take a look it if it weren’t 9 hours away. There was a ‘99 up here for about the same price. I wanted to look, but my wife wants a new or newish one.
You will find one...

Stan@FourWheel said:
Hawk Model will work on a long bed truck, but the camper will usually NOT push all the way forward against the front of the truck bed. The camper base will usually hit the wheel well humps in the truck bed, before it touches the front of the truck bed. We usually put a spacer in front of the camper, and either center the camper front to back, or build a bigger spacer in front, so the camper sits flush in the tail gate opening.
Will your Woodland location be open normal hours this Saturday?

goldcountryca said:
Will your Woodland location be open normal hours this Saturday?
No, unfortunately the showroom in Woodland, CA will be closed this weekend. :(

We will be closed Saturday, Sunday, & Monday

9-3 through 9-5

Back
Top Bottom