Will a Hawk work in an 8' bed

Coasty

I have a Ram 2500 with an 8' bed but I'm not seeing many Grandby's but plenty of Hawk/Raven's around. I've seen a Hawk in an 8' bed but the ones I've seen they all have been mounted with the rear of the camper at the rear edge of the bed leaving a big gap between the cab and camper. My question is there any reason for mounting them that way rather than moving them all the way to the front of bed and have that gap be at the rear of the bed to carry more stuff?

The camper base is wider at the rear, designed to fit behind the wheel wells of the truck. So, it can't be pushed any farther forward. I think KP Pawley at Zero Declination is working on a tunnel box that is designed to be installed in that foward gap to provide additional storage.

I wasn't aware of the camper base being wider than the wheel wells, great insight

Hawk base is same width front to back (Mine is anyway 2013). Biggest advantage I see in putting it at the rear edge would be that it's easier to climb in the short door - just lean forward as you go up your ladder/steps. That said, some folks leave their tailgate on and like having a "porch". Putting the camper forward would probably handle better on the road since you'd have very little weight behind rear wheels.

Inspiration! Put camper on tracks in the bed of your truck and winch it forward or backwards as needed. Best of both worlds! :D

Alan

Here is a photo of a Hawk camper up on jacks to illustrate the issue:

FWC Hawk FD Base.jpg

Forward of the arrow, the base is narrow enough to fit between the wheel wells in the truck bed. Rear of the arrow the base steps out, and would typically not be able to slide past the wheel wells.

Here is a diagram from FWC showing the external dimensions of the Hawk:

Hawk External Dimensions - Front View.jpg

So the base of the camper at the rear is ~10" wider than at the front (58-1/8" at the rear and 48-1/4" at the front).

FWC uses that wider section for the propane storage on some floor plans. I think it also provides the space for the built-in cassette toilet option on the front dinette Hawk and Grandby.

I can't recall seeing a Hawk or Grandby that didn't have this design, but it is certainly possible that the design was changed at some point in the past.

Apologies. Heinphoto is quite correct about the wider back of Hawk. I only glanced at mine sitting on the truck when I should have peered into the gap between truck and camper.

Alan

alano said:
Apologies. Heinphoto is quite correct about the wider back of Hawk. I only glanced at mine sitting on the truck when I should have peered into the gap between truck and camper.
No worries. After I saw your post, I had to double check and make sure my recollection was accurate. My Grandby is now permanently mounted to a flatbed tray, so I haven’t had it off for awhile and can’t easily see the base either.

-Scott

I’ve seen guys mount toolboxes in that space which is kind of nice.

Sample picture of a Hawk Model, mounted in a long 8' bed truck . . .

Attachments

• Hawk Model on a short bed truck #2.jpg
    Hawk Model on a short bed truck #2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 98

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom