Wind deflectors and Aero mods for fuel economy.

57Pan

What are people doing for mods if any for wind noise or fuel economy? On my Toyota Tacoma with ATC Bobcat I have a large gap over the cab. I’m thinking some kind of wind deflector would be useful.

You will find this topic has been discussed a number of times before. If you can't find those threads using the WTW search, I suggest using Google and add "site:wanderthewest.com" to your search terms (without the quotes) that's way more effective.

FWIW I use the standard Yakima deflector on my Tacoma and it works quite well.

Bosque Bill said:
You will find this topic has been discussed a number of times before. If you can't find those threads using the WTW search, I suggest using Google and add "site:wanderthewest.com" to your search terms (without the quotes) that's way more effective.

FWIW I use the standard Yakima deflector on my Tacoma and it works quite well.
hmmm, what is a yakima deflector? do u use on camper roof to deflect airflow from solar? or on cab roof, to deflect from front of camper??

Have the same thing on our 05 Tundra and ATC Ocelot. built an aluminum deflector, used it for two years. Took it off, no change in mpg. But I rarely drive over 65.

Seems like no matter what you do to smooth out a camper profile the mpg just won't budge nearly as much as it does when you drive slower. I guess this is why semi-trucks all go about 68-70 mph. 65 mph is a good spot, but I often find myself saying "screw it" on the way home and do 70. Pulling a trailer is even worse on mpg.

I have a Yakima wind deflector too. Didn't do anything for mpg, but keeps most bugs out from that hard to clean area behind the cab.

I made one for my previous rig (F150 + 2006 Hawk) because the gap between the top of cab and camper seemed too much. My current rig has a smaller gap and I use the windshield as a deflector. Works pretty good at subsonic speeds.

I read an article about all the aerodynamic mods made on big rigs. At best these help fuel mileage increase by 1-2%. So on one truck you might not notice it, but when you have a fleet of 1000 trucks it starts to pay off.

"I read an article about all the aerodynamic mods made on big rigs. At best these help fuel mileage increase by 1-2%. So on one truck you might not notice it, but when you have a fleet of 1000 trucks it starts to pay off."

Another article said testing often showed small benefits under certain conditions, but throw in variables like a crosswind or wind from an oblique direction and things like fairings, skirting, or air tabs may or may not help mileage. So, we can all give these things a try, but they may or may not help in all conditions.

We are allready paying a price for fuel to push these aerodynamic bricks through the air. What I want to make a faring for is to reduce the wind noise into the cab. If it gives a slight return in fuel savings, great. At some point it may pay for the faring.

I'm contemplating whether I want to move my Yakima fairing to the new RAM pickup. I've only done 90 miles both ways to Reno with the camper/truck combo. It rides nicely and there's plenty of power when I want it.

So far, I don't notice much noise, but it's a much better insulated truck than my 15 year old Tundra. Most importantly, these newer, taller cabs close the gap between the Hawk and the truck.

The first gen Tundra had cavitation issues around 50 mpg until I mounted a Yakima fairing.

I also use the Yakima deflector, it works great. As mentioned no fuel savings, but cuts down wind noise and deflects bugs.
Brian

My Deflector Odyssey

I have an ATC Panther on my Tundra which has quite a bit of space between the cab and camper overhang. I experienced quite a bit of wind buffeting at highway speeds from the wind hitting the flat front wall of the camper behind the truck cab. Many bugs gave up their lives in this area as well. Why not get a wind deflector...

My online search turned up the Aeroplus Wind Deflector which was marketed by PurplelineUSA.

It's looked to be pretty heavy duty being about 1/4" thick plastic. It is large enough to cover the cab top gap and protect the front of the camper over hang.

I rounded up a Thule rack to fit the Tundra and mounted the Aeroplus to it.

20210526_161058-L.jpg

Note the two indentations on the fairing. These are the super heavy duty mounting points.

20210423_142750-S.jpg
20210423_142815-S.jpg

First trip, we went to Moab from Denver and the wind noise was greatly improved. However, when in a cross wind or in a semi truck back wash, the ends of the deflector would flex and hit against the rack.

So, I fabricated some large bump stops on the rack (made from rubber hockey pucks) to eliminate the flex. This quieted down the noise and worked for a couple of weeks.

While heading south on I25 to Colorado Springs I experienced some huge microbursts from the side and the deflector started rattling whenever I drove over 65 mph. When I got home I found that the Aeroplus had cracked at both mounting points.

20210610_120804-S.jpg
20210610_120811-S.jpg

I wrote an email to the US distributor, purplelineusa, including my experience and photos but got no response...

My conclusion is that two mounting points, regardless of how strong the deflector is, is not enough.

I'm back to the old Yakima fairing modified to fit the Thule bars.

20210701_093908-L.jpg

It's a little small as it was left over from a prior vehicle. But it does cut down on the wind noise although, I'm back to cleaning bugs off of the front of the overhang.

YMMV

I had a fairing on my previous camper, made the brackets myself out of 1" steel tubing based on other's designs here. It was attached to the camper, not the truck. Worked well in terms of reducing but splatter and wind noise. No MPG diff that I could see.

I saw a 3rd gen Tundra rig in Baja this winter that had mounted traction boards on top of the cab at an angle to act as a deflector. I thought it was ingenious! and am curious how they were affixed. Unfortunately he was travelling the opposite direction, and I didn't have time to chase him town!

I am interested in any thoughts or ideas on how to achieve this.

Wouldn't be very hard to do. A couple of long square steel tubes bent at an angle. You would have to bolt them through the bottom of the bed area. Or, mount them to a Yakima/Thule rack with some kind of bracket. Kills two birds with one stone, good idea.

I wonder if a wind deflector at the back of the camper would help. Deflect air flow down to the back surface of the camper to reduce the pressure drop back there. The back side of our campers has an awfully large surface area. Some semi-trucks have fold out panels that basically do the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom