wind deflectors

Wind deflectors on the truck cab are reported to increase mpg and make the ride smoother. I see a few different companies make such deflectors and some folks make their own. I don't want to burden my tool savvy friends to build me one, they do so much for me already. I'd like to see some opinions from the folks on this forum: Which companies manufacture the best wind deflectors for truck campers? Some considerations: safety/stability, minimum hole drilling in truck/camper, and aesthetics. Cost too, I suppose, but I am always willing to pay for quality. Other opinions: Is anyone dead set against using wind deflectors and why?

Thank you.

Not sure if they save much gas, I have not done a long trip without the deflector to check. NOISE is the reason I have the deflector. Standard Hawk on a 1st generation Tundra has a large gap above the cab. This creates a lot of wind noise, goes away when I have the deflector on. I am not an Aeronautical Engineer, maybe one will chime in.

Without the deflector I have noticed the following:
  • More noise at a lower speed when over 90 degrees, could travel in winter without it,
  • Opening a window will lower the noise.
  • Putting the heater/ac on recirculate will lower the noise.
  • Neighbor down the street with the same truck as me, but with a window boot says he does not get wind noise.

If you search this forum you will find lots of threads on this topic.

Personally, I use the standard Yakima rack fairing on a single bar with locking posts. Safe, stable, no holes, not cheap, but quality. Less road noise and much less buffeting from the wind and passing large trucks. I thought it wouldn't be tall enough, but works very well and I'm happy with it.

Here is a pic of the back of mine, not sure who made it. I found it on the local craigslist for cheap. As others have said it is more about wind noise than mpg, I had really bad howling from about 40-60 mph before putting this up there and now it is quiet.

img_110921_0_d1bb91cc3ffe99fee27e444d43b04238.jpg

I have noticed about a 1 to 1.5 mpg improvement and it looks better. It is a ⅛" x 4" x 64" flat stock Aluminum with L bracket to mount. Simple and light. the box behind holds my solar panel that I have a tripod for... camper in shade ...panel in sun at good angle. Both work fine.

I have noticed about a 1 to 1.5 mpg improvement and it looks better. It is a ⅛" x 4" x 64" flat stock Aluminum with L bracket to mount. Simple and light. the box behind holds my solar panel that I have a tripod for... camper in shade ...panel in sun at good angle. Both work fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0846.jpg
    IMG_0846.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 3,540
buckland said:
Where did you buy the storage box behind the wind faring? Is the bottom of the cab over good enough to screw into, is it made of plywood or something? Thanks

Made the box from Poplar (frame) and luan (¼"). Dado the frame and used Titebond 3 waterproof glue. Bin primed it and then used exterior paint to seal. It is lightweight and has a piano hinge with a barrel key lock. The overhang is ¾" plywood and so attached the frame to L aluminum with tiny stainless nut/bolts, then stainless ¾" stainless screws with small washers. A bead of caulking around.
I also put my deflated thermorest inside after I slide in the panel... then open the valve and the thermorest inflates and snuggly hold the panel in, no movement. The airfoil is attached the same way. Very handy space. Easy access. If/when I can get a new truck all can be removed and sealed. I'm happy. Some guys have built a similar open rack for the rotopax tanks, also a good use of the space.
Sorry about the double post above...not sure what happened.

If a person made a wind deflector that was kind of like bills but the mounts were located on the bottom of the overshot would that put too much wind pressure on the overshot?

idahoron said:
If a person made a wind deflector that was kind of like bills but the mounts were located on the bottom of the overshot would that put too much wind pressure on the overshot?
I prefer deflectors attached to the truck cab, so the force of the wind - and especially those high-energy gusts from passing big-rigs - is transferred directly to the truck and not via the camper mounting hardware. This seems better to me, even though not as cool or convenient as a unit attached to the camper.

That said, I do like buckland's design. It looks like it streamlines the wind around his under hanging box and the camper body very well, and though the nose of the camper is still directly in the wind, his "airfoil" would also seem to reduce any upward deflection which would stress the camper mounting points.

I will note that although my Yakima deflector doesn't cover the nose of my camper, it does direct the wind stream up and over the camper nose. I wasn't sure this would be the case when I first installed it, but am now convinced through use. Also, I feel there is less noise and wind affect now that I've installed the carrier box under the overhang - so even though it is not aerodynamic like buckland's, it still prevents a wind pocket in that space and smooths the rig's passage.

I have the Yakima deflector on my truck cab too. Can't say what the effect on mileage is yet since I just got it for Christmas, but I also plan to put some Ridgid Dually's on there too so it will be a multi-use attachment.

Bosque Bill said:
Personally, I use the standard Yakima rack fairing on a single bar with locking posts. Safe, stable, no holes, not cheap, but quality. Less road noise and much less buffeting from the wind and passing large trucks. I thought it wouldn't be tall enough, but works very well and I'm happy with it.
^^^Me too^^^

Stalking Light said:
I have the Yakima deflector on my truck cab too. Can't say what the effect on mileage is yet since I just got it for Christmas, but I also plan to put some Ridgid Dually's on there too so it will be a multi-use attachment.
Can you post a picture of it installed and provide a model number?

Thanks Charlie for posting the photo. I am thinking that the Q Towers don't come with lock cores? I am putting together an order and plan to include lock cores. In my order.

I am sure that I will get some noise reduction but I have a vibration at 35MPH that I pursued as an mechanical issue with the truck. I am now pretty sure it is buffeting caused by wind between the truck and camper. Fingers crossed that this fixes it.

I did some quick calculations on MPG. I figure, if I got a .5 MPG improvement in gas mileage by doing this (which I would be surprised to get) I would save about 3 gallons per 1000 miles.

Thanks for the thread. Soon to be "Me Four"

Steve

Correct, you have to purchase the locking cores separately. I bought a set of six so the cores on my cab towers are the same as the ones on the camper, I have plenty of keys already. ;) I'll be mounting my off road lights (Ridgid Dually floods) on the bar next week sometime.

Oh crap! Good idea! I only need two locks, as well but decided to buy 4. Never thought about matching up everything. I also need at least 6. Thanks for the heads up!

Looking forward to seeing a photo with the floods installed.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom