Wind Fairing

David_h

Advanced Member
I made this wind fairing out of sheet aluminum (1/8") and it attaches to the yakima bars with aluminum angle formed into triangles. I just returned from a trip and it seemed to reduce the "bucking" of the truck/camper from the wind. Can't really say about the mileage because I am mostly new to the truck and camper.
Dave H
2006 Hawk

Attachments

• April 2009 010 resize.jpg
    April 2009 010 resize.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 732
  • April 2009 017 resize.jpg
    April 2009 017 resize.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 734
  • April 2009 018 resize.jpg
    April 2009 018 resize.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 692
  • April 26 2009 Taboose 061 resize.jpg
    April 26 2009 Taboose 061 resize.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 750
  • April 2009 022 resize.jpg
    April 2009 022 resize.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 815
Very nice. I need to come up with something similar. I once worked/had full access to a machine shop (still do but it's 700 miles away) and it's times like these where I miss it.

as scott said, Thanks for sharing.

mtn

Did I miss it or has any one done a camper on with and without milage check?

My 06 Tundra mileage dropped an average of 3 mpg with the Hawk on vs off.

BTW...I like the workmanship of your fairing.

Nice fairing! I use a stock Yakima one and it does cut down on the wind a lot. I do wish it were bit wider as the sides of the top front of the camper still gets a fair amount of bugs. I cannot tell any diferrence in mileage. Just keeps the bug cleaning down!

Dave in Seattle

Nicely done, David. I'm getting ready to try my hand at this as well. I'm thinking of a fairing that attaches to the roof rack and angles down to the roof line at about the top of the windshield.

A question that came up was: How much clearance do you need between the fairing and the body of the truck to allow for the flex of the camper? Since my concept fairing attaches to the camper, I'd need to know.

Anyone?

Weight?

Well done! Today I borrowed a friend's sheet metal brake to help me make some custom brackets, shields, etc. I think I'll have to add a fairing to my to do list this week.

How difficult is that to put on by yourself?

Back
Top Bottom