Wind Limitations ?

BrianS4444

Hello all,
Have been doing some trips to the desert lately. My last trip there was a high wind event. winds of 30-40 with gusts to 60 -70MPH. I was paranoid about having the camper popped up to due the high winds. Is this something I need to worry about? What are the wind limitations with the top popped up?

I don't know. I've been in some fairly high winds before and while it made sleeping difficult, I never worried about the camper.

I camped in the Guadalupes with wind gusts to at least 60 mph, and moved to the couch to sleep - just in case. I needn't have worried. The pop-up lifts handled the winds just fine.

I've had mine in the 50-60KT gust range several times and was never concerned. Camper took it like a champ.

When I used to wash my old Granby I would take it out on the highway afterward to dry the canvas. :eek:

FWC is probably screaming NO, NO but I never had problem. These things are tough.
Will I do it with the new Hawk? Nope.

What I did notice is how much wind resistance there was with that thing up, makes you appreciate the pop up concept.

We were in Death Valley a couple of years ago with similar winds. Two other four wheel campers were there also. Two of us dropped the tops and slept down low, one stayed popped up. Sleeping down low was cramped and uncomfortable for two people. Popped up had a lot of wind noise. So the camper can handle the winds but either way is not going to be a good night's sleep.

We got hit by Hurricane Igor last year in Newfoundland, cut the road across the island and whipped us with fierce winds but never an issue. Have gone through a wild thunderstorm in Eureka at out FWC get together. That one took our screen tent a 1/2 mile away but the camper was fine. I have moved the truck to face into the wind to minimize the blast.

great info. Thanks Everyone for there input! I won't be so paranoid next time. I don't mind sleeping down low, and having top down...solo....its a little more difficult with 2 people. And if you want to make a cup of coffee. (thats with the top down)

Yeah sleeping in the really high wind usually is rocky/noisy with the top up which causes me to drop the top well before I worry about the camper.

I've had my camper in pretty strong winds, but probably not 60-70 MPH. The only problem I had was the camper popped up by it's self when I opened the back door (which was facing the wind) after I unlatched the top.

I think Stan once drove on the highway with his FWC popped up until a Highway Patrol man pulled him over and asked "Is it supposed to be that way?"

great info. Thanks Everyone for there input! I won't be so paranoid next time. I don't mind sleeping down low, and having top down...solo....its a little more difficult with 2 people. And if you want to make a cup of coffee. (thats with the top down)

Hey, we didn't say it was fun-more like an adventure, just have to use that old common sense, go along for wild ride until doesn't seem safe anymore-but trying to pull it down in a high wind is no fun either! Waking up in a snow blizzard the first time was a trip-but it held together. Part of the fun of "adventuring " the west in a FWC. I've had more problems with surprise dust devils and the awning:eek:!

Smoke

There are rumors floating around that a long time member drove from the beach to halfway home with his top up. This would have been 40 to 45 MPH through the canyon then 60 to 65 MPH on the 101 Freeway. The only damage was to his pride. These campers can take a pretty hard wind. Or so I heard. :rolleyes:

Mike

Back
Top Bottom