Wind Resistance - Puma , Cougar

Kraig

I'm thinking about buying a Puma for my Ford F150. I'm wondering about what kind of wind resistance I should be expecting. I'm currently driving with a Northstar 800 and getting blown all over the road. Also Curious as to what kind of gas mileage decrease I should be expecting. I'll be driving highway long distance trips. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Where to begin. First off it depends greatly on how you drive. When I keep it at 55 mph I get between 18 & 20 with the Cougar. Over 21 without. You will get tons of opinions but it is sure to be better than with the Northstar.

Where to begin. First off it depends greatly on how you drive. When I keep it at 55 mph I get between 18 & 20 with the Cougar. Over 21 without. You will get tons of opinions but it is sure to be better than with the Northstar.

i drive 10 over the limit ussually mostly long hwy trips
i dont want to have to fight to keep the truck on the road
im hopeing i wont even notice the puma
what ya think

Wind will be less of a problem than with the Northstar. Mileage should be a little better. You have less frontal area and air resistance increases as the cube of speed so mileage should improve some. Cross winds are not much of a problem unless they are 40+ mph in which case anything you drive will be blown around. In short, your F-150 should be better on the road with the ATC.

I never notice the wind, a CTD will do that. Whats this 55 thing you speak of?

That works for me for about an hour then all bets are off!

This morning I drove 100 miles in my unloaded gas powered F-250 to pick up my ATC Puma. The computer said I was averaging 11.1 MPG. On the return 100 mile drive I got 11.2 MPG. Even with the added weight and flooring it on on the uphills it got slightly better mileage. Magic?

winks said:
This morning I drove 100 miles in my unloaded gas powered F-250 to pick up my ATC Puma. The computer said I was averaging 11.1 MPG. On the return 100 mile drive I got 11.2 MPG. Even with the added weight and flooring it on on the uphills it got slightly better mileage. Magic?
Magic! Teach my truck to do that.

There may be less than an inch between the camper and the cab. The camper needs to be raised before doing any off-roading. The tight fit may be doing wonders for wind resistance.

Back
Top Bottom