Wind River Excursion

Occidental

Trail Master
We made a trip to Wyoming at the end of September and the first few days of October. It was more of a backpacking trip with the truck camper used as the support vehicle. We had 4 great days of backpacking bookended with a few days of truck camping. The full details are posted on the blog here:
https://www.occidentalist.org/in-to-the-winds-2020/
https://www.occidentalist.org/in-the-winds-2020/
https://www.occidentalist.org/out-of-the-winds-2020/

I hope you enjoy some of the sights, we sure did, as the colors were perfect and the crowds did not exist.

Wow, those were some BRIGHT aspens, Oxy. Love me some Winds. It's been since August 1976 that I've backpacked there, and then we approached Gannet Peak from the Dubois side. What an incredible destination! Makes me want to take my bride on another backpacking trip as it's been 40 years since we camped that way and that was down in RMNP in CO! We started having kids in '82 and morphed in to car camping and weekend soccer leagues. And we have several more really good excuses.

Many thanks for the fine pics and for the memories.

Foy

Oh, we get excited about the Winds. Occidental, thanks for taking us back especially with the spectacular Fall colors! You hit it just right. We would never characterize New Fork Canyon as a less scenic area of the Winds. We love the place, such a classic glacially carved canyon. Our last backpack up New Fork, we turned up Palmer Canyon and visited Cutthroat Lakes, No Name Lakes, and Summit Lake. You brought back so many memories with your text and beautiful photos. Thank you. :) The Winds are our favorite mountain range.

Beautiful vistas and fall color shots. I don't think I'd be able to sleep with a bull moose hanging around!! Thanks for the great TR!!

very very nice. the weenie in me would be worried about the temps, but you seemed to have missed real cold temps

I first backpacked in the Winds in 1957 when I was 11 years old as a Boy Scout. I've since climbed Gannet Peak from Elk Heart Park, but now I can only canoe on the lakes and drive in and camp. It's been a few years, but I'll be going back. It's one of those places that is part of me. Thanks for the photos.

Wow-what can I say! Thank you for taking us along, That was a great TR with great photos and comment! A boring trail-come on-that was great!

Smoke

Well, that is an amazingly beautiful hike and fabulous blog report. Thanks for sharing! We are planning to explore the Winds next summer.

Thanks all for giving it a read and I'm glad you enjoyed.

Edited the first post to reflect the winds are in Wyoming, (not Montana) - not sure where that came from!! Must have had my brain on autopilot.

goinoregon said:
very very nice. the weenie in me would be worried about the temps, but you seemed to have missed real cold temps
Goinoregon - yes, 19 degrees with snow one day, but overall sunny and nice - and I think that weather could happen any day of the year up there. Bring your 0 degree bag!

camper rich said:
I first backpacked in the Winds in 1957 when I was 11 years old as a Boy Scout. I've since climbed Gannet Peak from Elk Heart Park, but now I can only canoe on the lakes and drive in and camp. It's been a few years, but I'll be going back. It's one of those places that is part of me. Thanks for the photos.
Camper rich - Wow - I wish I could have seen the area in 1957. I can only imagine things have changed a bit.

Back
Top Bottom