wind vs. pop-top

eyeball

Just back from windy Death Valley. Does anyone have experience or information about how much wind a pop-up can with stand while it is up? The wind wind was knocking us all over the place and so we put the top down, jic. Hated to think I would be damaging the integrity of the camper.

And thanks

Tom

Here's one old topic on the subject: Wind.
I know I've read others, but the general response, as I recall, is that it may be annoying and hard to sleep through -- for the humans, but the camper can take it.
There are examples of people driving down the highway with the top up -- at highway speeds -- without ill effect.

MarkBC said:
<snip>
There are examples of people driving down the highway with the top up -- at highway speeds -- without ill effect.
even at higher than highway speeds................................... :eek:

I have been in mine up to 50 MPH wind and it was scary to say the least. But my camper is okay.

Roof stronger than I thought.

Pic from Rocky Mountain FWC FB page
1555416_693658520684467_92054085_n.jpg

I have heard it will take 100 mph winds.
Thirs past weekend at Anzac-Borrego state park we were averaging 30-35 mph gusts. .....With just gentle rocking felt inside.

We have the one piece roof and noted it would "pop" wHen the wind hit the side from certain directions. No damage just a little noise.

During my Flip-Pac years at Saline I was always amazed at how durable the FWC's were in the high winds that would blow tents flat !!. Primary camper I saw there was the FWC. Rest didn't hold up.

First of this month I spent several days at Jalama Beach where one night winds were measured at 61mph. I eventually put the top down, not because I was afraid it wouldn't hold up, but to reduce the noise and rocking of the truck. I never did get any sleep that night, just too noisy, even with the top down and the truck continued to rock as I was camped broadside to the wind . The great news was not a drop of water entered the camper.

Wow, that pic is impressive. Not sure what my max winds were but I've camped where not a single tent was left standing. I slept just fine but that may have been due to the antifreeze. I do try and park into the wind.

I just got back from Baja and one morning we had 70+ mph gusts. Blew over all the outhouses but the camper did just fine.

I kind of like the nasty weather in the camper. I just remember back to my tenting days and roll over.

Neat pics and info here. I've not been in strong enough winds yet compared to some I endured with my flippac. There were nights in the desert I wondered if that was gonna take off.

Back
Top Bottom