Winter camping

cousinjc

I know it is summer, at least here in the U.S, and I am relatively new to this, as far as truck campers go, but I have what may be a simple question.
When traveling and camping in the winter how do you keep fresh water supply in camper from freezing. If you park for instance overnight or for a few nights and leave camper how would you keep water in supply and supply lines from freezing. I am guessing you would need to plug camper in and leave heat on. Is this true? Thank you and happy camping.

Keeping in mind I don't do extreme winter camping, when I do camp in freezing temps I rely on the residual heat to keep the plumbing clear. Basically I'm never gone for more than eight hours. Having the heat on at night while sleeping seems to keep everything warm enough for those conditions.

I'm also lucky enough to live in Sacramento where it rarely freezes and when it does its not a deep freeze, therefore I don't even drain the water in the winter. Lucky me :)

I think you really need to describe the kind of winter conditions you are talking about. I've camped in blizzards and in conditions with overnight temps in the teens and I've never had a freezing problem with my plumbing. However, I have had a water pump freeze up while the camper was stored outside during a week long arctic cold front. So how cold do you want to go?

My system gets drained in the Fall (Oct) and we use 1-5 gallon containers depending on the duration/remoteness of the trip.

If it's REALLY cold and you still have the system charged you'd probably want to leave the cabinet doors open and the heat on indefinitely.

mtn

I have a shell pop-up with no plumbing so use 3-5 gal plastic jugs for water. On they road they sit in the cab near the heater to keep warm but even they will freeze in prolonged sub-zero temps if I'm not driving a bit every day. If they do freeze, I don't have big plumbing issues, though.

I plan on getting a pop up camper for winter ski resort parking lot use. I will put RV anti freeze in the water system and use water jugs. I also expect to go thru a 20lb propane tank in 2 or 3 days so I will carry an extra tank. The camper's furnace fan motor draws a lot of battery power so running the truck daily for a half hour or so to charge the batteries is likely. I also plan on installing an auxiliary bus space heater in the camper that runs off the truck engine anti-freeze as it is free heat while charging batteries or driving to the next ski resort.

I use the internal water tank during the summer and fall. Come late October-early November (Elk season), the temperature can go from the 70's to the teens in a day or two. I carry gallon jugs of water and store it outside during the day and then move it inside the camper at night.

I have found the Alaskan Camper to be extremely comfortable when the weather gets below freezing.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom