Winter "East Side" Recommendations Please

SLO_F-250

Hey Guys,

My girl and I are planning to extend our Holiday Trip a bit and are going to take the 395 home to Santa Barbara from Lake Tahoe. I am hoping a few of you could possibly give me a few recommendations of a good spot(s) to "pop-up" on the way down.

I rarely say this but not too far off the beaten path would be great. I have hit up the hotsprings outside Mammoth Lakes off Benton Crossing Road (Green Church) and was thinking there might be good pending on the road conditions and if I could even make it back to one of those springs.

Another thought was Keough Hot Springs. Just not sure if I can pull off on the dirt road and camp since there is a paid campground off that road too.

Anyways, if you have any recommendations please let me know. We are heading back the 30th.
Thanks!

Paul

And a picture cause they are always good! :D

NightShot.jpg

The Alabama's are always a good call. Can camp there for free is what I've been told, never done so.

On the road to Cottonwood Trailhead off of Whitey Portal Rd. is a great BLM campground. I'm blanking on the name, but make the left, go over the rise and just about when you think that you must have missed it there's an entry on the right. Lets say not more than 5 miles from the LT. Once past the 37,000 or so big water bars on the road you'll find $5/night (or was it $10/night? it wasn't any more than that) nice spots. Those on the left side back up to a creek with planted fish in it. We were there T-Day weekend.

Alabama Hills, always free, lots of dirt tracks to find a private place to camp. In Lone Pine "Seasons" restaurant is a fantastic 5 Star place to eat.

If you have some adventure in you, Saline Valley Hot Springs (east of Big Pine) may end up being one of the highlights of any trip you've ever made. The North Pass is in good shape but bring chains.

On the road to Cottonwood Trailhead off of Whitey Portal Rd. is a great BLM campground. I'm blanking on the name, but make the left, go over the rise and just about when you think that you must have missed it there's an entry on the right. Lets say not more than 5 miles from the LT. Once past the 37,000 or so big water bars on the road you'll find $5/night (or was it $10/night? it wasn't any more than that) nice spots. Those on the left side back up to a creek with planted fish in it. We were there T-Day weekend.

NTSQD is talking about Tuttle Creek (I think). Now $10 a night, 'cause they added potable water (last year) to the existing pit toilets, friendly camphost, too. But, if you don't need either, then Alabama Hills, just about any place you like for free.

West of Bishop... Free in the Buttermilks, pick a spot (good sun in the AM), or, the lowest official campground up Bishop Creek, the first one you come to, is open all year long, has pit toilets and potable water, and is free this time of year (no sun most of the day this time of year).

North of Bishop, near Bridgeport, read the trip reports of ski3pin, lighthawk, or Ted for some details (both on the west and east side of 395) and you'll be able to use GoogleEarth to see the locations. Boondocking at it's best, but could be snow bound now.

BTW: If you are ever there in the summer, Coyote Creek/Baker Lake, up high in the Sierras over Bishop is really nice. It is a long 4wd road but the sights are spectacular. I forget exactly but I think Baker Lake may be 10,000 to 11,000 feet in elevation.

Depending on how far south you get, you could camp near Buckeye Hot Springs. Up behind the springs is a free camping area. Its just north of Bridgeport off Buckeye Road as I recall. If you go farther, go down toward Death Valley and you should find plenty of spots out in the middle of no where. As far as the folks mentioning formal camp grounds, whether free or not, I doubt you will find any that don't have the gate locked.

Darryl

Tuttle Creek is it. Was there T-day weekend and some of it was closed, but not all of it.

Also, Fossil Falls has a campground and if you've never stopped there you should. Take the 1/3 mile or so hike, it is very worth it. Do Not forget your camera.

I try to make my statements accurate...

Tuttle Creek, "As of November 1, 2012, just the south loop of the campground will be open all winter". The web site still shows the fee as $5.00, however, when I was there in October it was $10 to regular folks. I used my Golden Age pass to get the discounted $5 rate.

Bitterbrush Campground, Bishop Creek. "A newly constructed campground, Bitterbrush is open year round although there is no water or trash service during the winter months. This is primarily a winter campground as it is frequently below the snow line or just has minor amounts of snow. Bearproof food storage containers available in the campground."

If you can get back into long valley hot springs there's plenty of camping in the hills between the springs, the highway, and hot creek rd. I have camped there often in winter. There are usually a few overnighters out there scattered about but plenty of room for everybody. not sure what the access is like right now though

Alabama Hills are definitely good too. Access shouldn't be an issue.

Out toward Masonic near Bridgeport is an option (with a cool little side trip) too.

Thanks for the great recommendations everyone! We are leaning towards Alabama hills. Simply because a have been there and we don't have a lot of time. I will post pictures after the trip. Looking forward to using the camper in the snow!
Cheers & happy new years!

Of all the places to go near the hwy, Alabama Hills really is the best. Miles and miles of dirt roads with private nooks and crannys to choose from. It is BLM land so you have no infrastructure to deal with. Here's a short video from there that I took with Anne from February 2011:

Guys,
Absolutely GREAT short trip. Thanks for the incite. We camped in the hot creek area behind Mammoth Lakes Airport Sunday night. Specifically at Shepard's Hot spring. After that down to Alabama Hills for new years eve. I'll get some pictures up here in the next few days. It was an adventure for sure and tested out how well my ole' refurbished 90' FWC worked in REALLY cold weather! haha
Paul

Thanks again for the recommendations guys! Started a little trip report up with lots if pictures.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7041/

Happy New Year!

20121231_094956_zps04de245b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom