Winter Insulation

I also adjusted the cycle time on my furnace. I would rather it run in shorter bursts than cycle forever in 15 the minute "Flame thrower" mode that it was set on when it came from the manufacturer.

Care to share how you did this? This is my biggest complaint about the furnace.

The Home despot link is to reflectix, an aluminized mylar/bubble pack insulation. Do a search on arctic pack for a few threads here. This is one that inspired me to make my own: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1035&highlight=arctic+pack

I bought the reflectix and wide velcro for ~$50. I then picked up a bunch of fleece material from Wallyworld - BIG MISTAKE. The static electricity generated by these two materials is amazing. Even my dogs, who are always looking for nice soft "beds" to lie down on, now tend to avoid fleece. I'll never forget the yelp and shocked, abused glare my Springer Spaniel gave me after he tried to make a "nest" on my test piece.

I ended up using just the straight reflectix, duct tape, and stickyback velcro. I made 2 pieces for each side that would tuck in behind the plywood at front and rear and velcro together in the center. I cut out slots to allow a flap to drop in front of each window when desired - note that these open down rather than up. With wide velcro you can easily make an overlapping seal along the edges. You need to reinforce stress points and edges with duct tape since reflectix will tear.

When travelling I just lay the pieces flat on top of the mattress and drop the top. This creates a problem tho' since the aluminum facing will rub off on anything it contacts leaving black stains. These wash off easily but are a pita. I'll eventually either get a real arctic pack or make a set of fabric covered ones, perhaps using cotton.

Luck,

Rob

Custom vs OEM

I'll eventually either get a real arctic pack or make a set of fabric covered ones, perhaps using cotton.

I have ATC's OEM Arctic Pack and am slightly underwhelmed. I think a better solution can be fabricated.

I have 2 beefs w/ the ATC solution:
  • Durability, I think the material is mediocre.
  • Openings, these roll down, but not far enough, it's a PITA to roll them down, then fold down the inside window.
I like the idea of fabricating a set of fabric covered ones that are in multiple pieces. Specifically:
  • (2x) One piece from rear window forward, covering front window, tucking behind forward lift panels.
  • (2x) One piece from rear window back, tucking behind rear lift panels.
  • (2x) One easily removed piece to cover rear window. Put it up at night, off in the morning.
Seems like you could build this with that reflectix, velcro, and light cotton material for $150 or less.... Much less than the OEMs, and better insulating, too.

I don't know how low the temperature setting will allow 40 degrees ?? 45 degrees ?? 50 degrees ?? etc. ?? I will take a look.

I CHECKED LAST NIGHT AND THE DIGITAL THERMOSTAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO SET IT AS LOW AS 45 DEGREES.

I WILL POST SOME MORE PICS AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION SOON

Just keep in mind our campers were never intended to be winter expedition rigs. Read the story of the turtle expeditions trip to Russia. They couldn't even raise the top it was so cold. Its what inspired them to build a better expedition camper.

I don't mind the heater running but, and this is a big one, I don't use a good cold weather bag in the camper. I have nice big fleece one thats very comfy but not really warm. I suppose I could always take my backpacking bag with me, but if I don't have to use a mummy bag I won't. Come to think of it, I really should toss that in when I go out in the winter, good thing to have in an emergency.

Just keep in mind our campers were never intended to be winter expedition rigs. Read the story of the turtle expeditions trip to Russia. They couldn't even raise the top it was so cold. Its what inspired them to build a better expedition camper.

And that camper was custom made, not like ours in the insulation department.

And that camper was custom made, not like ours in the insulation department.

I actually had a chance to go to Baja with the Wescotts & they took the Turtle IV. I don't think it had anymore or better insulation in it but it definitely has better heaters etc... They also did a lot of things to try & stop cold bridges like putting a fabric layer between the roof framing & the skin & then using nylon rivets - better than stock but still didn't stop condensation.
Monika told me that she didn't like the artic pak - to much of a hassle to put on & take off.

I've visited with them many times since our trip & they still have the Turtle IV which they use almost as much as the Turtle V, They both have their stengths & weaknesses. But as someone else hinted toward - using our campers in the middle of winter in snow country is kind of like using a 3 season tent. It can be done with enough prep work but a cabin would be so much more comfortable. Maybe time to head back to Baja?

Doug

Hi. I found your comment interesting. I called 4WC yesterday and asked about adjusting the thermostat and mentioned how bad the user manual was. The Service Dept really had no idea of how to adjust it (at least the person who I talked to). So I guess my question is were you using the factory thermostat and if so, did you take it out of 'milivolt' operation and use the other settings which I got the impression from the manual didn't work?

Thanks Doug,

I knew about the wrap before it was skinned and the nylon rivets but I thought it had more or different insulation. I followed their stories in Four-Wheeler magazine and Ben told me some stories about the build. What a trip across Russia!

Yukon,

The Atwood thermostat I have was stock for the camper. Now they are using an Suburban model and I have not looked at one to see how it ticks. I can’t help you on the adjustment to scale it down to a lower temperature.

I added the Reflectix A.K.A Foil/Bubble/Foil insulation under the mattress last year and it makes a big difference. I have my house insulated with this stuff and am very happy with the performance. It's easy to work with, & compact. I use this stuff for just about everything I need to keep warm/cool.

I added the Reflectix A.K.A Foil/Bubble/Foil insulation under the mattress last year and it makes a big difference. I have my house insulated with this stuff and am very happy with the performance. It's easy to work with, & compact. I use this stuff for just about everything I need to keep warm/cool.

Perhaps a stupid question but.... Does it crinkle when you sleep?

Care to share how you did this? This is my biggest complaint about the furnace.

I read the instructions that came with the heater (highly recommended before doing anything) and found that if you take the cover off the thermostat you will see a pointer that points to numbers on an adjustable dial.

Move this dial and the cycling time changes + or _ to your needs. I set mine wayyyy down to the opposite side of where it was and it still takes awhile to shut off...but not...um...forever.

mtn

Ditto, thanks for the thermarest tip. How do you secure the upper portion to keep it from falling down? Or does it wedge in tight enough to stay put?

Sun Man

It stays put well if you blow it up a bit and wedge it under the side cabinet.

The ther-ma-rest pads also work VERY well to insulate the backside of the person sleeping up against the front pop-up wall....and if you were handy with the velcro...as an arctic pak on the sides of the sleeping area

It quieted the wife instantly...need I say more?

mtn

Back
Top Bottom