Winter Solstice

buckland

Site Team
to the tune of the sound of silence

Attachments

• Darkness.png
    Darkness.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 38
Yay for longer days! I guess I am fickle. Right now all I want is more daylight. In late July I can hardly wait for evening!

OK...so how can you guys detect zero rate of change (of day length) but I can't??
IMG_20221221_150919.jpg
Damn my unromantic literalist enginerd brain!

MarkBC said:
OK...so how can you guys detect zero rate of change (of day length) but I can't??
attachicon.gif
IMG_20221221_150919.jpg
Damn my unromantic literalist enginerd brain!
In Portland, today is 2 seconds shorter than yesterday. Tomorrow will be 2 seconds longer than today. Somewhere in between those two digital signals is an analog sweet spot marking the end of shortening days and the beginning of longer days - which should be at 1:48 pm - about 34 minutes from now.

I'm at latitude 29° right now, so it's gonna be harder for me to detect the change than those closer to the poles.
Maybe if I am very still...squint my eyes...

A perfect answer... and as we all know where you live on the big curve of the earth messes with the set/rise times. The time continue to get 'earlier' (for a bit) while the other gets 'later' .... I have vivid memories of me as a young science teacher using a flashlight and a ball hung from the ceiling. A students head was the earth.... sometimes ya gotta work with the materials at hand. On the equator pretty much the same everyday...6:30 to 6:30.... makes cocktail hour pretty consistent.

Yay for the solstice. It might be my favorite holiday of the year. I knew if I looked to WTW there would be people celebrating. We had a cheers and danced around the kitchen table, pizzas are in the oven. Here's to the change in the light, the coming year, and renewal. Happy solstice all.

Occidental said:
Yay for the solstice. It might be my favorite holiday of the year. I knew if I looked to WTW there would be people celebrating. We had a cheers and danced around the kitchen table, pizzas are in the oven. Here's to the change in the light, the coming year, and renewal. Happy solstice all.
Well said.Happy longer time .
Frank

We were seated at the table and watched the clock march down the final minutes to 1348 (PST). We held our breaths and felt us slide back around the corner. It was a grand ride. Now, let's start seeing some results. :)

Back
Top Bottom