Winter Wandering in the West

takesiteasy

I posted a new trip report (Part 1) in the blog: http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2013/01/winter-wandering-in-west-part-1.html

Part 1 covers the drive from home (Minnesota) to San Francisco. Future posts will cover the pacific coast road, our time in Oregon and the trip home. We were on the road for 4996 miles, 14 states and 24 days over the holidays. We had a great time. :)

Thanks to all on here who gave us advice and suggestions. We drove US 50 through Nevada and the coast road from San Francisco to Newport- both very enjoyable. Here is a link to the trip planning thread: http://www.wanderthe...hp?/topic/6824/

I posted a few photos in the gallery too from the trip home.

I enjoyed your TR. Lots of snow and lots of privacy. Looking forward to the next installment. It's a good thing you are familiar with snowy driving conditions. I am glad you were able to make it home safely. And this time of year is about family.

Here is the second installment of our trip report- the pacific coast road: http://travelswithro...est-part-2.html

:LOL:
Soooo-you gonna come back this spring, maybe summer time, then the fall, use that FWC and see the west and keep up the trip reports and glad you enjoyed the trip so far. Early spring is a real good time to see the coast, warming up a bit, but still not many people, but you have to watch the side roads everywhere, but what's adventuring for if not a little mud, just got to be prepared!

Smoke

I enjoyed your TR. Lots of snow and lots of privacy. Looking forward to the next installment. It's a good thing you are familiar with snowy driving conditions. I am glad you were able to make it home safely. And this time of year is about family.

:LOL:
Soooo-you gonna come back this spring, maybe summer time, then the fall, use that FWC and see the west and keep up the trip reports and glad you enjoyed the trip so far. Early spring is a real good time to see the coast, warming up a bit, but still not many people, but you have to watch the side roads everywhere, but what's adventuring for if not a little mud, just got to be prepared!

Smoke

Thanks for your comments! Smoke, we're thinking we better move west- it's a long drive from here to get to all those sights we want to see.

Here is the last installment of our trip report: http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2013/01/winter-wandering-in-west-part-3.html

Thanks for all the photos of Christmas in Oregon! I used to live in Eugene, OR and spent a lot of time on the coast.

Those little pop-up campers do pretty well in winter, don't they?

Great trip report! Especially loved the surf and clouds shots.

My family's traditional Xmas eve dinner was also Dungeness crab. It's been difficult to carry on that tradition in the desert - with fresh crab, anyway.

Thanks for all the photos of Christmas in Oregon! I used to live in Eugene, OR and spent a lot of time on the coast.

Those little pop-up campers do pretty well in winter, don't they?

You are welcome. The Oregon coast is great. The camper kept us toasty and the truck handled the snow just fine. It's amazing how much colder we were on the coast at warmer temps than in Nevada. The moisture was hard to deal with. I guess that's why the crowds are in the summer. :)

Great trip report! Especially loved the surf and clouds shots.

My family's traditional Xmas eve dinner was also Dungeness crab. It's been difficult to carry on that tradition in the desert - with fresh crab, anyway.

Thanks. The crab dinner was a real treat. We don't get that at home either.

Thanks so much for the fun report! So many miles and so many states and all done with your truck and camper, wonderful! The Lady talks more and more about her upcoming retirement and it includes long road trips to places in the east we have never been. Thanks for the inspiration and showing us how it's done.

Thanks so much for the fun report! So many miles and so many states and all done with your truck and camper, wonderful! The Lady talks more and more about her upcoming retirement and it includes long road trips to places in the east we have never been. Thanks for the inspiration and showing us how it's done.

Thanks Ski. Sometimes the dreaming about retirement is almost as good as the real thing! Our biggest takeaway from the trip was don't have deadlines. We were always wishing we had more time to explore, although wanting to be somewhere on a particular date is what got us on the road in the first place. I guess it is two sides of a coin- covering a lot of ground and seeing many places vs. getting to know one place well. I'm sure we will be doing more of both.

really enjoyed your trip pictures,always jealous of fellow wanders ability to
post such great travel reports and pictures.

i do not know if you have a slider window on your pop up and truck,but just a
idea that might work for you as it has in the past worked for us.

as we have always traveled as a threesome (wife ,me and the in control cat "Bella")
we have always had the windows between camper and truck sealed with custom
seal so we can let the cat go back and forth this also lets us when we were on the coast
or in wet conditions to leave roof vent cracked in camper .doing this allowed us to
with the use of truck heater to dry out camper while driving,not 100 per cent but
really helps,maybe this could be a idea for you to consider.

just my thoughts,your may differ.

Les,lqhikers

Les, thanks for your comments and suggestion. It's a good idea. Unfortunately, we have a small fixed window in the camper at the truck cab location, although I have been looking for an operable one that would fit the opening. We have some storage compartments on either side that restrict the window size.

Back
Top Bottom