Wireless Refrigerator Thermometer

billharr

Looking to add a wireless thermometer to my Hawk propane refrigerator. Looked on line and several out there and the reviews are mixed. After freezing all the food in my Domenic refrigerator I would like to have one I could move up to the cab when driving to see what is happening. Looking for the WOTB.

Bill in STockton

Looking for the WOTB.

Bill, what does "WOTB" mean? Excuse my ignorance.

I bought one from Campers World and is works great. I'll try and get some pictures for you today.

Bill, what does "WOTB" mean? Excuse my ignorance.

I bought one from Campers World and is works great. I'll try and get some pictures for you today.

WOTB Wisdom Of The Board. What you just gave me.

Here's the one I'm using....

http://www.partshelf.com/ci00782.html

Just toss the remote in the fridge....and put some velcro (either the "vel" or the "cro") on the back of the display and stick it anywhere you want in the cab of the truck. I mispoke before about Camping World....I bought this unit at OSH.

I also use a different unit for a heads up display inside the camper. It's a wired unit I bought before I found the wireless one.

Here is a picture showing display of the wireless Accu Rite in the cab, and a couple of picutures of the wired Camco unit I purchased at Camping World.

The wired unit is nice when inside the camper because I can see the inside temperature without opening the fridge. When traveling I run the fridge on DC....and keep an eye on the Accu Rite display.

Attachments

• DSC_04810002.JPG
    DSC_04810002.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC_04820003.JPG
    DSC_04820003.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC_04830001.JPG
    DSC_04830001.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 178
Here's the one I'm using....

http://www.partshelf.com/ci00782.html

Just toss the remote in the fridge....and put some velcro (either the "vel" or the "cro") on the back of the display and stick it anywhere you want in the cab of the truck. I mispoke before about Camping World....I bought this unit at OSH.

I also use a different unit for a heads up display inside the camper. It's a wired unit I bought before I found the wireless one.

Thanks I just picked up the Acu Rite at Walmart for $10.00 Will give it a try on my next trip.

Don't bother with the Acu-Rite, it has some really bad ratings on Amazon, where I got it and the remote sensor is DOA for me:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009Y7RPS/ref=aw_cr_d_home-garden

Any suggestions for something that actually works?

I have used the Oregon Scientific one for 2 years:
http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/THC268-Oregon-Scientific-Wireless-Temperature-Sensor-with-Waterproof-Probe.product

Probe goes in the fridge, the unit is stuck close by with velcro, and the wireless signal sends it to a receiver I have in the truck. This way I can monitor the temp while I am driving, and also when I am in the camper, get up to pee at night, etc. With the 3way it's a constant adjustment to keep it from freezing or getting too warm. This has worked great for me, but I am seriously thinking about going with a straight DC unit to stop all the adjusting.

Koko,
I was hoping someone would say something about a probe thermometer. My thinking was it would be the KISS way to deal with it. And given my inability to solve complex (hell if the truth be known easy) problems that works for me.

That's probably what I would do. Drill a small hole an upper corner of the door, insert probe thermometer, epoxy the backside to the door, seal up the inside, voila.

That's probably what I would do. Drill a small hole an upper corner of the door, insert probe thermometer, epoxy the backside to the door, seal up the inside, voila.

That's what I did.

However I'm not afraid to drill holes into things, but some folks are...

Seemed like such a good idea, I actually ordered one a few minutes after posting that. I found a dial thermometer on amazon for like 4 dollars with a range of 25-120F and a five inch probe. It should work out nicely. I'll post a pic after I get it installed.

Do you think I could cut the probe down a little, maybe an inch or so? I don't know how far the hollow part extends, and there's really only one way to find out.

I contemplated using a digital C/F switchable probe thermometer from a Life link snow study kit I have, but I'm not much of a fan of battery operated stuff.

I would think the cable is thin enough that you could just close the lid on it and the gasket would seal. No?

Here is what I have.

I contemplated using a digital C/F switchable probe thermometer from a Life link snow study kit I have, but I'm not much of a fan of battery operated stuff.

In the 6 years I've had mine, I replaced the coin battery once and it is always on.

Attachments

• DSC01798 (Large).JPG
    DSC01798 (Large).JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC01799 (Large).JPG
    DSC01799 (Large).JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 154

Back
Top Bottom