Won the Lottery - Denali Road

wpage66

Advanced Member
On a whim, after booking a campsite at a Federal park, I clicked on a link in the confirmation email they sent me for entering a lottery for driving the 92mi road in Denali National Park that is closed to public vehicle except for 4 days out of the year. It appears that they allow 400 cars per day on each day so 1,600 passes are issued for this road trip selection.

When I entered it my wife told me I would get it, just because she thinks it would be some fun trip I would go on and she would not be able to get away to go. We have been apart quite a few time thanks to several calls to serve overseas, so this was just one way for her to jab at me.

Well I got an email saying I was selected. WOW!! So now what to do? I quickly figured about $1,000 each way for gas, about 12mpg with FWC on the F150. That will be tough to swing. Trying to figure out exactly what other improvements I need to make to the Hawk to ... fix water pump, get 3 way fridge working better, install solar - will that help that far north and should be driving enough each day that it would not matter anyway.

60 hr drive there, 6 days at 10hr, UGGH I want to have a scenic and leisurely drive not marathon driving.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/road-lottery.htm

Has anyone been up there in Mid Sept, how cold can I expect it too get, just have a buddy heater to keep the chill at bay.

Sorting, planing and wondering if I can make this happen, Need - More Vacation time, More $$$

Wife says this is something I should go and do.

Congrats, did not know about this. Lots of us old retired guys will go and take pictures for you ;-)

I do a agree with your wife you should do it.

That's cool you got a ticket to drive the Denali road.
We were there in 2011 last of Aug,beginning of Sept.
The weather is nice warm,possible rain/showers days but can be sunny.Nights were cool,not cold don't think we used the heater much except to take chill off in the morning.
We camped at the 3 "vehicle" spots.
Riely Creek,Savage River and Teklanila (which you have to get a special pass for)
We stayed at all three and really liked Savage and Teklanik.These 3 are all open through mid Sept.
Staying at Teklanika is very nice as you are into the park where vehicles can't go with out a permit.

Have you looked into using the Alaska Marine ferry? We used it out of Bellingham Wa.It's 3 nights to Haynes Ak where you start heading north to get the Alcan at Haynes Junction.
Than 2/3 nights to the park.The ferry cost is more than gas but it's faster and you don't have to drive all the way.
You than can drive home or return on the ferry.

We enjoy the ferry system so that was our choice.
There are plenty of places to stop and camp. Either in campgrounds or "boon-docking".

If you want more detailed info,PM me ,I would be pleased to help.
Frank

Wpage66,
Congratulations. Sounds like a bucket list opportunity. Do it, in style. You can replace the money, but probably not the opportunity for this experience. Grab a buddy or two and share the pain. :)

Congratulations! I'll have to look into the lottery myself as a bucket list item!
We used the Alaskan Inland Ferry without a vehicle years ago and it was great. Very scenic and the stops can be fun if you have a chance to explore. We had a small "cabin" to sleep in, but I would think you could sleep in the camper while on the ferry.
The ferry routes can be busy and get booked up, so if you're thinking about using it I would recommend checking now to see if there are openings.

Good luck, bring a good camera and take lots of pictures. We look forward to hearing about your trip.

For the longer ferry trips a cabin is nice.As the deck area can get full with back-packers.You can't sleep in your camper.The car deck is closed except for several times daily during a trip.
You can get a lot of info about the "daily" lotto drive at the NP web site.
You can stay at Teklanika for one night during the drive.
This will take some planning but a worthwhile experience.
Enjoy.
Frank

Park, I will keep your offer in mind. I am really going to try and make this work. The letter I received has specific instructions to follow for transferring the pass to someone else.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Wander The West mobile app

Wpage66 that is freakin' awesome!!
My wife went many years ago with her parents and had to take the bus. When I told her about this lottery she was all over it.
We are definitely going to start applying next year.
Thanks and good luck.

You can fly to anchorge and rent something and go from there. Then fly home. Could save you a whole lot of driving and save vacation time you would have to use. Congratulation of your winnings.

better do it,you will kick yourself in the butt later!!! take along a friend to share fuel costs.
have good tires,air compressor and plugs.

if you can do the marine highway.pretty cool ride.
as your that close might as well drive up to prudoe bay.

something i have learned,opportunities have risen and i thought next year or when i come back.
guess what next year didn't happen.

go enjoy yourself!!

I had a friend who won a photographers permit (5 cars per day) a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the experience. As you can imagine the photographs were wonderful!

I saw a F 150 with a FWC a couple weeks ago. Guess it was not you though as too early? I hope you take advantage of the opportunity.
One piece of advice. Do not be gawking at the scenery when you drive the road..
A real beautiful part of your country.
We were just over to Alaska. Skagway to Juneau via the ferry then flew to Pelican, Alaska.
Two who were with us had never been to Alaska before. They were in awe of the scenery, and fishing we had.
Commented many times. now I know why people come up here..

Robbie

Yes, the road can close in Sept due to weather, but you really should take the risk. The fall colors in the tundra are magnificent and the animals are decked out in their finest as they prepare for winter.

Attachments

• JOE_2937a.jpg
    JOE_2937a.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 112
Back
Top Bottom