Would you buy another fwc

To answer the OP's question yes I would buy another if I needed it. But hope to use my Eagle till I can't anymore!

Ron these should be the part numbers for the 40" struts the Eagle requires per Mr Buckland.
[SIZE=11pt]Four Wheel Campers has a 40” ext. cyl.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]C16-31895, 20 lbs.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]C16-31896, 30 lbs.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]You might need to call FWC about the 40lb'ers.[/SIZE]

I have not found them online anywhere except FWC. I think they are made for them.

36" is too short for the Eagles as they have a taller fabric section than the Hawks ect.

Norris we decided to purchase a NorthStar because we liked the galley, under bed storage, and the lift system UNTIL we looked at it.

Deal killers
1. Under bed storage meant I couldn't turn over without my shoulder hitting the ceiling.
2 . Getting in and out of bed was like crawling in a sewer pipe on elbows and knees.
3 . They offered to remove the under bed storage, but now there was no storage, and
4. I still was unable to sit up in bed
AND
This was in the Hawk size equivalent. The mini- truck model was worse.

We bought the Eagle because:
Could sit up in bed - easy to get in and out
We resolved the storage issue
And we saved $6,500 by buying the shell.
Northstar does not offer a shell model

Lastly I bought it at age 68. Now at 73 my damaged lower back is very happy in the Eagle. The Northstar would have been sold by now and I would be wishing I bought the FWC.

I have had a Hawk, and two Grandbys so far. Very happy with the campers. I add a solar panel and 12v Engel fridge. Remove the furnaces and add a Little Buddy heater. And now lift struts, love those things, on the Hawk the roof almost raised itself.. I'm a tinkerer, so I modify and upgrade as I go. Someday a flatbed would be cool for all the extra space. I'm in Santa Cruz and would be happy to help you add the lift struts if you get that Hawk.

Grandby with 40 lb struts on Tundra double cab and 70 years young. Yes I love it, it fits my needs, and I would buy another.
Bill

Attachments

• DSC03277 - Copy.JPG
    DSC03277 - Copy.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 117
snorris said:
... but my only concern is the lack of under the bed storage and no electric lift system. .. Just wondering if this would be a deal breaker for you if buying another tc.
I'd rather not buy another manual lift pop up. Under bed storage I'd give up to being able to leave the bed and bedding made up.

If we did buy another FWC it'd most likely be a flatbed Granby. Not sure I'd recommend a FWC flatbed to a first time buyer because of the added cost and commitment of vehicle but for us, we can see some benefits and we have a suitable truck already,

Staying pop up, I'd look at Hallmark with their hand crank lift system.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
OK that's what I was wandering.
Didn't know the eagle went to the taller liner. Makes sense now.
Frank
The Eagle base has a 17" bed mounting height vs the 20" bed height of the larger campers. They had to go to taller vinyl to get the same 6'4" interior height.

Hey alla y'all ... Yes the #'s for the struts above in post #21 are correct. I have a 2011 Eagle and love it (though I am taking the side couch out and putting in my own side dinette) I love this camper and would buy again (Just took a tour of the new front dinette Fleet....wow wish I could win the lottery and get that!).

I believe FWC will sell you the struts and I highly recommend them. If you are in a pinch... even with the struts you can use the speaker crank to lift)... the struts are great I have the 30 pound 40 inch one and I have Yakima racks and a 160 solar panel... up she goes no big deal...I am 63.

I'm on my 2nd (used) Hawk and would definitely buy one again if the price was right. However, if I was going to purchase again, I would go with an ATC Shell equiped with a furnace,stove,side dinette and build the cabinets exactly how I want them. I live near and have visited both FWC and ATC factories and have had much more positive experiences with ATC. Marty is willing to build you just about any interior configuration that's possible. That said I'm 66 and have no problem lifting the top since Marty installed gas struts. If you add anything to the roof such as a solar panel it could make lifting the top more difficult. Fast forward 4-5-6 years or some kind of injury and I find lifting the top more difficult I'll start using one of those speaker crank things. I've seen people use them and are quite happy with them!
I love the versatility of having a 4x4 truck coupled with a low profile popup as many of my adventures take me far off the beaten path. When you're off road things can get real tight suddenly and I couldn't imagine turning around or backing up with a larger rig.

Everyone, Thanks for all the great insight and suggestions. IF I buy the Hawk it will be front dinette and built in cassette toilet. My friend has this unit and I really like it. I can live with less storage as I do a lot of camping, traveling and know how to pack lite. Glad to hear about the Northstar bunk height. I was wondering about that. I'll check that out when I look at them next month. Love the Hallmark but at this stage of the game I'm not spending $35-40,000+ I'm sure it will all fall into place. :)

I do love my hawk camper but I think I would probably get a capri cowboy camper if I were going to buy a camper now.

That's a very interesting camper.

The "cabover" model would be nice with the toilet in the shower option.
I'll stick with my Bobcat it's free and clear and fits our style of camping.

Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
I do love my hawk camper but I think I would probably get a capri cowboy camper if I were going to buy a camper now.

That's a very interesting camper.

The "cabover" model would be nice with the toilet in the shower option.
I'll stick with my Bobcat it's free and clear and fits our style of camping.

Frank

I plan to stick with my FWC Hawk. But if I were to do it again with what I know now I might go that way.

I was just checking out the new Lance 650 short bed.
Looks interesting but at 15.6'long that's a bit to long.
Although nice to have a fairly simple camper with a toilet/shower.

The standard model has a lot of nice usable equipment.
The price is even reasonable at about $19.000.
Oh well just a bit of dreaming.

My Bobcat fills almost all our needs.
Frank

I was dreaming too... when I saw the front dinette Fleet at Boise Spring Works in MT on our way home from AK... it seemed "perfect"
and it may have been... then I got home and started to thinking on the thoughts I had had when traveling and the mods I will do with what I have.... I am so thankful I have the Eagle... it is not perfect but... mods can make it better. In the process (in-between $ work) to do that great fan speed mod... thinking on that from day 1. Then the dinette set up.... yup that too... I have the roll over couch that I took the back off after the first trip. I will use the rollover HW for the flip dinette seat. ...Another mod to make it just right... not perfect but getting there.... hopefully this winter ( I already tore out the seats!)
I love this camper and what it allows me to do. Bug out and get off the grid. This forum makes all that so much more fun!

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. I've really used mine and put it through it's paces. Zero problems. Just look at that thing of beauty!

Lost%20Coast%20Fort%20Stevens%20%283%20of%203%29-X2.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom