WTB Shell vs Complete Camper

Fernweh

Advanced Member
Looking for some guidance and suggestions in purchasing a pop up camper. I've owned two campers and older FWC Ranger and a fully loaded FWC Grandby. Used then both and enjoyed them both. As my trucks changed I sold these campers and after a year Im back looking for a camper to go on my 2013 Tacoma Crew Cab long bed.

I have a 2019 FWC Fleet I may purchase. It's a shell model, a dry camper, so stove, furnace or frig. It's wired for solar, has an awning, battery and fantastic fan as options. What should I be considering in this purchase? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance

We had fully loaded Eagle, and now a shell. We have realized we preferred the full camper. It’s really a matter of preference.

An advantage of most shell models over fully built out campers is the ability to sit opposite your travel partner and eat dinner, have a conversation etc etc.

The advantage of the fully built out campers is the opportunity to sit on a couch and stare 23 inches away at your kitchen sink cabinets......

Different needs for different folks.

David Graves

DavidGraves said:
An advantage of most shell models over fully built out campers is the ability to sit opposite your travel partner and eat dinner, have a conversation etc etc.

The advantage of the fully built out campers is the opportunity to sit on a couch and stare 23 inches away at your kitchen sink cabinets......

David Graves
You nailed it David!

My reasoning for a shell is that my camper lives on my truck, I don’t want to be hauling all the “camping” stuff and the weight around with me all the time. When I go on a trip I load up what I need for that trip. Plus we (my wife, me and a 85 pound lab) have room to move while inside and not have to climb over each other.
If I lived in the camper full time it might be a different story. But you can always add, it’s a lot harder to take away.

First, on a Tacoma, you will be severely weight restricted. That may make your decision for you. I don’t know the numbers, but I suspect even a shell with the battery(ies), solar panel, water and passengers will be well above the GVWR. You might look into that first.

We have a Raven shell, and are strategizing a full build out as we speak. We bought the super short bed Silverado and Raven as a used package when we tippy-toed into the camper world. The desire to replace it has more to do with size than anything.

Eating indoors is an issue as others have mentioned, but we don’t like each other’s company anyway. :D

Ours came only with a propane heater and car charging only (no solar). We put in a panel on a piano hinge at the front of the camper that joins the two side boxes. When it’s down, it has a custom made cushion that matches the other cloth that puts it level with the side boxes. It makes a nice seat with storage under. We put a tri-fold mattress on top for sleeping. When we want more space we put the mattress and cushion up on the bed and flip it up. We also put a two bin storage area in the back corner opposite the heater. We put in a counter with a sink that drains outside and use a cooler for water. It’s mainly for light duty dish washing (similar set up to a Scout). We use a Iwatani butane grill that lives in the storage area above the heater. We’re adding an IOTA charger to incorporate shore power to maintain the battery better. Lastly, Thetford port-a-potty. If we weren’t bumping up, and occasionally above GVWR, we could continue to cobble the shell to our satisfaction.

We want a non-front (either side or back) face to face dinette, cassette toilette, outside shower, no gray tank and solar. We don’t want the height of a traditional flatbed, so the FWC Grandby is out. You can only get a cassette with a front dinette on a slide in or move to flatbed. I step on my wife getting out of bed to pee at night; she won’t sleep up top because I toss too much and occasionally snore. :eek:

We’re most likely looking at a Hallmark K2 on a Ford one-ton gasser, with a Sherptek deck.

There’s no perfect configuration. Good luck!

I appreciate your sharing... Good luck with your build. I think my camper would stay on as well, keeping things simple and loading it up for trips when needed. I've been looking at seating options and getting a roll over couch is one way to go as is getting front dinette seats facing each other. We cook outside much of the time so a stove isn't a nessesity, but I do think having a furnace is a great option that I wish this camper had. Thoughts?

Fernweh said:
I appreciate your sharing... Good luck with your build. I think my camper would stay on as well, keeping things simple and loading it up for trips when needed. I've been looking at seating options and getting a roll over couch is one way to go as is getting front dinette seats facing each other. We cook outside much of the time so a stove isn't a nessesity, but I do think having a furnace is a great option that I wish this camper had. Thoughts?
For us a furnace and the thermo pack (which I forgot to tell you we had) are both must haves. We camp in weather below 20 degrees sometimes. The couch makes the best second bed but makes it nearly impossible to use the toilet at night.

DavidGraves said:

David Graves
When we ordered our ATC Bobcat camper,we wanted to sit face to face at a small table.
So we discussed this with Marty and he said they had just built a camper with a side dinette,
instead of the roll over couch. We were sold and have enjoyed that configuration for 12 years.

Yes it is a personal choice. That is one of the thinks that make these campers what they are.
Build what you will want/enjoy.
Have fun out there that's what it's all about.
Frank

I prefer side dinette seating as it's easier to climb in and out of the bed. Cooking outside is my 1st choice, but during our trip in Wyoming we were cooking inside during some thunderstorms. Also, the first thing I do in the AM is boil water for coffee - especially nice when it's low 30*s outside!!
BTW- I had the advantage of experiencing full built FWCs before purchasing my ATC Panther shell. I was constantly doing mods to my FWC in an attempt to make it "better" and ultimately came to the conclusion that less is more. I couldn't be happier with my shell. As others have said, it's a personal choice. Good luck!!

You might also consider an Ovrlnd poptop. We love ours. It’s essentially the ultimate shell, as they don't offer built-ins. Very light (my fullsize with multiple add-ons is just 360lbs. The mid sizes are around 275. Very stout, impeccably welded aluminum frame. Not a slide in.

https://campovrlnd.com/

Back
Top Bottom