y connect on outside solar plug

dennis 221

wondering if I can add a second bug out portable solar panel to my external solar plug with a y connection ? or plug the two together then into camper plug! the first way then I could move them individually to sunny locations! anyone

Yes. I did that for mine. There are several possibilities. Using a SAE 2 pin plug to 2 pin on 10 gauge wire, I cut the wires in half. On one, I attached Anderson PowerPole connectors. On the other, I connected MC4 connectors. MC4 are the standard solar connector. There is a two into one adapter so that you can parallel 2 panels.

There are similar approaches for Anderson PowerPoles.

www.powerwerx.com/ has all you need for PowerPoles

Paul

This is what i was thing about.you think it would work?? LIXIN 14AWG SAE DC Power Automotive Connector Cable Y Splitter 1 to 2 SAE Extension Cable, Fit for Suitable for Solar Battery Connection and Transfer

Those appear to be workable. However, be sure to use a voltmeter to check polarity. You need to make sure that positive on the panel goes to positive on your charge controller solar input and negative on panel goes to negative on charge controller before plugging the solar panels into the wires.

Paul

Paul these would be buyouts i use one now so do I need to be worried adding the second one. I'll look for 10 awg

In the past 10 ga in the SAE connectors was a rare find, and was usually cheap wire. 12 ga was the common upper limit. Haven't looked in years so that may have improved.

10 ga. is the largest that the MC4's actual terminals are made to fit, but the MC4's aren't designed to be frequent make/break connectors.

If there were a truly sealed powerppole bulkhead assembly available I'd convert everything to those in spite of losing any warranty on the panels by cutting off the MC4's.

Back
Top Bottom