Yakima Swingdaddy Hitch Mounted Bike Rack

oldebondo

I have a 2013 Yakima Bike rack for sale. We have used it with our FWC Eagle setup and most recently with our FWC Hawk setup. I added a step that helps immensely getting in and out of the camper when the rack is opened up to allow access. We recently replaced this one with a new version of the Swingdaddy so I am offering this to WTW readers. It is very heavy and you would want to pick it up in person. I can also show you how I mounted it to the hitch using double cone nuts for an absolutely rigid attachment. I am along the Front Range of Colorado - Longmont. I am asking $200.

SwingDaddy_0_small.jpg SwingDaddy_3_small.jpg

Could you post a picture of the "double cone nuts" and describe your setup? I have a similar swing bike rack that bounces all over the place and would love to tighten it up. I was even thinking of getting rid of it and trying anew, so you might save me a bunch of $$. Thanks.

I also have the same Yakima bike rack which bounced around quite a bit when mounted on the rear of my F250 with FWC Grandby. I solved that problem by fastening an eye bolt in the left rear FWC jack bracket and running a long length of heavy nylon strap with a camlock buckle around the verticle rack post and then through the eyebolt. I then tightened the strap up and secured with the camlock buckle. Stopped the rack bounce immediately.

Thanks guys for asking. What I did was took ordinary wheel Lug Nuts (surplus from my S-10) and welded one to a bar and threaded a bolt into the other. I did this for two sets. The tapered faces of the cone nuts pinched and centered the bike rack holes to the hitch pin holes on the truck. This constrained side-to-side motion. To constrain up-and-down motion (rotating about the cone nuts) I added a hardened 5/16 - 18 UNC bolt to holes I drilled in the bottom of the hitch and rack and tightened it for all it was worth. I tried just threading a screw into the bottom of the hitch and pushing on the bottom of the rack but all the bouncing just bent the square tube on the rack and you can see evidence of that.

ConeNuts_1.jpg ConeNuts.jpg

This works pretty well, I hope this helps you.

Gussie said:
I'm late to this party! Is the bike rack still available?
Thank you for asking. I'm sorry but the rack has been sold.

FWIW: If I ever get a new rack, I am going to look seriously at these: www.1up-usa.com

Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom