Yakima Tracks on a FWC

airborne

Hello,
Looking to add Yakima Tracks on the roof of my FWC.....has anyone here mounted them or have input on installation.

thank you.

I was thinking about this today - my plan is to add some vertical supports on the sides that cross bars will somehow attach to (the top doesn't seem up to the challenge IMHO). Then some quick release or something to get it off for lifting the top. I'll put my bike inside or maybe on a receiver mount but I do have a canoe to put on top..

I owned a '98 FWC Grandby and had Yakima top mounts on the roof to support 3 cross bars, 2 in the back and one in the front. I carried a canoe on top and sometimes a yakima basket case in the rear. I sold that a while back and just placed an order for a Grandby Shell. They will be mounting the 10' Yakima tracks up top. I chose the longer 10' tracks as it will allow me to position the crossbars wherever I need them. I'm having FWC mount them as I want to be sure they are placed in the right location and sealed properly.

I think I remember somewhere on this forum where somebody showed that. We found some yakima racks on craigslist and picked up some tracks at the scrap yard. Have yet to install, but I think you can use the existing screws on top of the camper...just back them out, fill/cover each hole with silicone (RV type), and then install tracks using the same screw holes applying silicone at each. At least that is what I remember from a previous post. Let us know how it works out for you. Cheers!

Hello,
Looking to add Yakima Tracks on the roof of my FWC.....has anyone here mounted them or have input on installation.

thank you.

i have a new bobcat with the roof racks,not Yakima .for my purpose ,carrying a canoe i find that i like them better than the adjustable ones.see my thread on bobcat with canoe.that may be of some help.the cost is less with the FWC ATC made racks.also they seem to be about at least an inch lower which may make a difference when loading,especially a canoe.with the extra weight of what you want to carry you should look into some type of roof lifter.there are several in other threads.hope this gives you another idea. frank

Yes, what Eldough said... I installed mine directly into the existing holes. I did have to ream the holes in the yakima tracks out a little with a rat tail file (they aren't in perfectly straight line, evenly spaced, but pretty close). Also, I had to redrill one hole in the roof... no amount of filing would have gotten me close enough. :)

haven't seen any leaks yet. We did a trip along the eastern seashore last June... it rained ALOT some days, and had no trouble with the roof. (knock on wood?) I used #8 3/4" truss head screws as Ben Burnett (ATC guy) had mentioned in a post.

Fairly easy process actually!

Rob

I think I remember somewhere on this forum where somebody showed that. We found some yakima racks on craigslist and picked up some tracks at the scrap yard. Have yet to install, but I think you can use the existing screws on top of the camper...just back them out, fill/cover each hole with silicone (RV type), and then install tracks using the same screw holes applying silicone at each. At least that is what I remember from a previous post. Let us know how it works out for you. Cheers!

Here is a basic pic.

There should be some more details threads I think I this topic through the forum search feature.

Attachments

• yakimapartslist.pdf
    104.8 KB · Views: 343
  • Yakima Tracks Only.jpg
    Yakima Tracks Only.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 283
  • Yakima Track Sample 2.JPG
    Yakima Track Sample 2.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 378
  • Yakima Roof Rack System 10 Feet.JPG
    Yakima Roof Rack System 10 Feet.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 271
wow !!,
Great, thank you so much for the information. Exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers,
R

Fun Pic:
P2231093.jpg

Back
Top Bottom